Need new A/V receiver, 700 or less [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need new A/V receiver, 700 or less

Jataro
02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Hi,
I'm looking for a new A/V receiver. I currently have a Denon AVR-3200 which was my first nice A/V receiver. It has been great but recently the center speaker outs died so I need to replace it. I'm looking for a receiver with great audio and HDMI switching capabilities. The Onkyo 805 seems perfect but I play PS3 occasionally and I've heard that the lip sync issues which are found on ~40% of the units is awful. The 605 seems to work fine but I've read that the audio just isn't as good. Any recommendations? Here's the rest of my system:

Speakers
Fronts: Klipsch SF2s
center: Klipsch Sc-1
rears: Klipsch KSB 2.1
Woofer: Klipsch KSW-12

Bluray: PS3
DVD: pany S97
CD: Sony SCD-e595

I know my speakers are old and not overly good compared to a lot of the more expensive units but I wasn't really planning on upgrading my system for another few years. The broken center channel has sort of forced it. Any recommendations are really appreciated. Thanks!!!
Jat

PS. I'm not locked into any one brand, it just seems like the Onkyos were a good value.

L.J.
02-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I agree that the Onkyo's offer some serious bang this year, but as you said, too many issues. Now if your patient, you may wanna give a 805 a try and cross your fingers and hope you got a good unit.

You could probably go with any decent name unit in your price range and be happy. You could even get away with a older unit. No need for HDMI 1.3. Just make sure you get something with mc preouts so you can add an external amp later on if needed. The 605 doesn't have this....I think you would have to step up to the 705.

Jataro
02-14-2008, 08:12 AM
I thought that the 705 had the same lip sync issues as the 805 because they share basically the same internal components. What about the Yammy v1700 or v2700? Would those be good options?

Rich-n-Texas
02-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I've got a couple of threads going about my receiver upgrade choice and the Yamaha's are getting good reviews. No lip sync issues, no popping or thud sounds emenating from it and great "natural" sound (although I don't know how they sound with Klipsh!tz speakers).

L.J.
02-14-2008, 08:58 AM
I thought that the 705 had the same lip sync issues as the 805 because they share basically the same internal components. What about the Yammy v1700 or v2700? Would those be good options?

That's why I said to cross your fingersand hope you find a good unit :)

Yeah, I believe the problems with Onkyo happens with all their units. Good ones are out there though.

Several months ago I audiotioned(in-home) the Onkyo 805, Pioneer Elite 91, Denon 2807, Yamaha 661 & Yamaha 2700. I thought the 805 offered some serious bang but ran into too many problems. I ended up going with the Yamaha 2700 and I'm happy with it.

The 2700 was the best I heard for HT and did a really decent job with music. Plenty of flexibility, and a very solid build. It's a great unit. The only thing I would suggest with the 2700 is a Harmony remote.

Are these still available from authorized dealers? I got mine on clearance at Magnolia/BB when they were making room for the x800 line up.

Rich-n-Texas
02-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes. Best Buy, Crutchfield, J & R etc...

L.J.
02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Rich, I don't see the 2700 at any of those places.

I see it's available at Vann's for $799. According to Yamaha's website, this is a authorized dealer.

Authorized on-line dealers (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/dealer.aspx?CTID=5010030)

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538999766

Not bad for $799. A lot of people are caught in the HDMI 1.3 hype and don't realize that it's not needed since the players do the decoding(PS3 should be getting DTS-MA this year). You'd be shocked at how many people ran out and sold their perfectly good HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 AVR to purchase a 1.3 :crazy:

Rich-n-Texas
02-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, when I plug RX-V2700 into Yamaha's website, it brings it up, then in the "Find authorized Yamaha dealers" box I enter my zip code and it brings up a page with the "online" dealers I mentioned. If they don't have stock, that's a different story. I know it's available at 6ave because I just checked.

Jataro
02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
I really appreciate the input guys. Since I last posted I've done a lot of reading here and at AVSforums and I am now thoroughly confused. My current setup includes a Sony XBR 34960N. It's a great HDTV but it's a tube set so I don't worry about upconverting since it renders them in their original format (which I usually prefer). I will probably upgrade the TV in the future since it weighs 200lbs and it's only 34 inches. When I do will having an HDMI 1.3 AVR be important? If not then AVRs like Yammy 1700/2700 (major difference is the internet connectivity right?) seem like a good choice. If yes, then the Pioneer VSX-91txh or onkyo line seem to be good choices (except for the lip sync issue with onkyos). I guess the other issue is the HD audio tracks on bluray, but I think i'd be fine with it being converted in my PS3. So all in all I'm now very confused. What I want is a good sounding unit with as much future proofability as possible that doesn't cost more than 700. Am I looking at the right units or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks.

L.J.
02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
I really appreciate the input guys. Since I last posted I've done a lot of reading here and at AVSforums and I am now thoroughly confused. My current setup includes a Sony XBR 34960N. It's a great HDTV but it's a tube set so I don't worry about upconverting since it renders them in their original format (which I usually prefer). I will probably upgrade the TV in the future since it weighs 200lbs and it's only 34 inches. When I do will having an HDMI 1.3 AVR be important?

At this point, no. The only benefit 1.3 will provide is support of deep color. Your source, AVR & display may support this but....and here the big one....no software currently supports it and my understanding is that BR never will. No way to know if this is anything worth waiting around for or investing in because it's simply not available.

More info on deep color (http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/High-Def_FAQ/High-Def_FAQ:_Is_HDMI_1.3_Really_Necessary/853)

If not then AVRs like Yammy 1700/2700 (major difference is the internet connectivity right?) seem like a good choice. If yes, then the Pioneer VSX-91txh or onkyo line seem to be good choices (except for the lip sync issue with onkyos).

Yes the major diff between the 1700/2700 would be the networking. Also the 2700 has GUI on screen display and maybe more in/outputs. Maybe a extra zone with additional control over that zone.

Nothing wrong with going with the Onkyo or Elite or any unit with HDMI 1.3 for that matter. Based on QC issues you may not wanna go the Onkyo route and the Elite is a couple hundred over your budget. The Elite wasn't a bad unit when I auditioned it but I felt the 2700 was a better unit. HDMI 1.3 wasn't a must have in my situation, so this opened up my auditioning choices.

I spent alot of time auditioning and carefully spending time with each unit and the Yammie was what I went with. I really did like the Onkyo but I gave up on 'em after all the problems. I liked the Onkyo's so much,I actually purchased and returned 3 different units before giving up :(

I guess the other issue is the HD audio tracks on bluray, but I think i'd be fine with it being converted in my PS3. So all in all I'm now very confused. What I want is a good sounding unit with as much future proofability as possible that doesn't cost more than 700.

Well as long as you use your PS3 as BR player, HDMI 1.1 is all you need in a AVR to enjoy HD audio. This will open the door to more units, especially last year models like the Yamaha x700 series or Maratz x001 series for a discount price.

"Proofabilty" for my situation was 1080p pass-thru, on screen display via HDMI, HDMI v1.1 or up, mc analog inputs, preouts, at least a 2nd zone.....and yes, it needed to sound good. The 2700 covered all this and a few extras. One thing I loved about the 805 & 2700 was the amount of adjustability you have. You can go in and tweak almost anything.

Am I looking at the right units or should I be looking elsewhere? Thanks.

That's hard to say. Like I said, you could probably go with any decent name unit in your price range and be happy with it. Your gonna get alot of suggestions from alot of different people because many are brand loyal and tend to recommend what they've been happy with. I would suggest to do as much research as possible, narrow down your choices and try to audition a few units to get a feel for them. It's hard to say what you will be happy with.

Jataro
02-15-2008, 07:32 AM
Thanks LJ. One quick question. How much do you find that you're using the additional features of the 2700 that the 1700 doesn't have? I can get the 2700 for about 740 and the 1700 for 500 from authorized an dealer. Is the internet connectivity worth it? Outside of that they seem to be the same model with a little more power in the 2700. Thanks
Jat

L.J.
02-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks LJ. One quick question. How much do you find that you're using the additional features of the 2700 that the 1700 doesn't have? I can get the 2700 for about 740 and the 1700 for 500 from authorized an dealer. Is the internet connectivity worth it? Outside of that they seem to be the same model with a little more power in the 2700. Thanks
Jat

I'd go for the 1700. The USB/network is ok for streaming or listening to internet radio but isn't very user friendly. It's something that would be useful for updates but my understanding is that only 1 was made available awhile back but nothing since.

You can use your PS3 for streaming so your already covered. Save yourself some $$$. You can use your saving to purchase a Harmony 880. If I have anything bad to say about these, it would be that the remote is a nightmare :eek:

Jataro
02-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys, I went with the V1700. I'm going to give it a good in home trial but thanks for all the help!
Jat

alt4
02-25-2008, 11:39 AM
Check out Outlaw Audio!
Great equipment for the price because you miss the middle man...the store.
I have the 990 and love it!