Is there a decent to good multi-format player: DVD audio, SACD, DVD, Blu-Ray / [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is there a decent to good multi-format player: DVD audio, SACD, DVD, Blu-Ray /

brjoon1021
02-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi,

My wife bought a Playstation three on the advice of a Home theatre techie friend. I come form the two-channel tubes and dedicated front-end crowd. I am willing to make concessions. The Playstation 3 is amazing in how many formats it will handle. Basically, it will play everything digital but DVD Audio.

I noticed that DVD players like the Oppo models will play all formats. How good is the sound quality from units like the Oppo (and the Playstation 3 for that matter) at playing SACD or DVD audio ? I have a CD player, if I choose to return the playstation for another unit, whatever I buy will not need to play CDs.

Thanks,

B

GMichael
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi,

Welcome to AR. Congrats on the PS3 purchase. I love mine. It will play SACD's either though HDMI (7.1) or through analog cables (only 2.0). It can output 5.1 through optical or coax but not SACD's.

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
...I noticed that DVD players like the Oppo models will play all formats. How good is the sound quality from units like the Oppo (and the Playstation 3 for that matter) at playing SACD or DVD audio ? I have a CD player, if I choose to return the playstation for another unit, whatever I buy will not need to play CDs.

Thanks,

B
Welcome to AR forums2. The Oppo players will decode up to but not including Blu-ray & HD DVD. I can't atest to the sound quality, but their players have gotten rave reviews, and a member here, "Luvin Da Blues" owns the 981. He might chime in with his opinions.

Feanor
02-11-2008, 11:13 AM

I noticed that DVD players like the Oppo models will play all formats. How good is the sound quality from units like the Oppo (and the Playstation 3 for that matter) at playing SACD or DVD audio ? I have a CD player, if I choose to return the playstation for another unit, whatever I buy will not need to play CDs.

Thanks,

B

I recently acquired an Oppo DV-980H that I find quite satisfactory in my HT system; (I haven't tried it as yet in my higher-grade stereo system). The 980H plays all audio formats including DVD-A and SACD, and standard DVD.

snodog
02-18-2008, 03:35 PM
The Ps3 is a very nice machine to have. Honestly I dont know why it is compared to the xbox 360 as it is much better designed. More efficient and quiet and such. The sound quality is very good paired to a nice hdtv it has excellent video. The bluray is as good as any player on the market except I dont think the upscaling feature is all that great. It also integrated wifi and you can download movie trailers, game demos as well as browsing internet. Oh yeah and did I mention it plays games???

blackraven
02-19-2008, 04:46 PM
The Oppo 980 is better for audio but worse for video when compared to the 981HD. This is straight from the mouth of OPPO. The 980 is supposed to use some audiphile electronics vs the 981. Better DAC's and capacitors.