What are the best deals right now on discontinued receivers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are the best deals right now on discontinued receivers?

pktaske
02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I'm looking to spend under $300 for a unit. Don't need too many fancy things. I run a cd player, HD direct TV box and DVD. No HDMI doesn't bother me as I'm perfectly happy running component outs. My primary speakers are Mission 34i's. I have a decent HK 6.1 surround system. All being run right now from a 7 year old Yahama.

I was scouring Ebay for used stuff but I kept thinking the way the market is moving with HT, there's got to be new units going at great prices. For an extra (X)$'s, seems worth the warranty. I just do not have the know-how with this. Someone here has probably done the legwork and has an opinion that I value much more than my own :)

Is there a sticky/thread somewhere with this ? I tried to look first.

Thanks
Nick
First post!
www.stillsmallvoice.info

PDN
02-10-2008, 12:56 PM
First, I wouldn't recommend buying any audio components on Ebay. I would browse audiogon.com which is probably one of the best used audio component websites available. There are also some used components on this site as well. Both sites have members that are probably more focused and experienced in the high end audio market than on Ebay. I've bought and sold on audiogon.com a number of times and each experience was good. For $300.00, I don't believe you'll be able to purchase any new receivers (2 channel or surround sound) of any quality. If you could squeak out another $50.00, you can purchase a brand new Marantz SR3001 HT surround sound receiver or for $429.00, a Marantz SR4021 2 channel receiver. At least with Marantz, you are buying decent quality at the budget end of high end audio not generally sold in mass market appliance stores. Just my opinion.

pktaske
02-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I jumoed over to audiogon.com and checked it out. I doubt I could really navigate through all of that effectively. I'm basicall looked for a decent integrated receiver. I dont see but a few over there with anems I've ever seen or prices close to $300. I will check out the Marantz SR3001.

Why is Ebay bad for HT? I've gotten some killer stuff on the guitar and pro audio front (things I know about). Is there a history of bad/DOA home audio items?

RoadRunner6
02-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I think you can find many bargains in closeouts or current models online for $300 or less. Yamaha is equal to the best in your price range. I see some good buys on brand new receivers as linked below.

I buy most of my electronic gear online including home theater, photo, video and computer equipment with great results and no problems. Just make sure you buy from 4-5 star dealers only with at least several hundred ratings. Never use a debit card. Credit cards ONLY! (you have chargeback/dispute rights if you have problems, not so with debit cards) Be sure you insist the item be brand new (not open box or refurbished) and factory sealed. Receivers have a very low rate of repair, well under 5%. I forget the warranty and self insure. You will save lots of money this way in the long run and get great prices online.

Marantz is excellent but no better than Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo in my opinion. I have owned Marantz in the past. They pretty much sell through higher end dealers and thus keep the prices up and lead one to believe they are a cut above the competition. If you can find a good price on Marantz, that is definitely one to consider.

RR6

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-audio-receivers/yamaha/p/73/form_keyword=yamaha+receiver/rd=1

frenchmon
02-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm looking to spend under $300 for a unit. Don't need too many fancy things. I run a cd player, HD direct TV box and DVD. No HDMI doesn't bother me as I'm perfectly happy running component outs. My primary speakers are Mission 34i's. I have a decent HK 6.1 surround system. All being run right now from a 7 year old Yahama.

I was scouring Ebay for used stuff but I kept thinking the way the market is moving with HT, there's got to be new units going at great prices. For an extra (X)$'s, seems worth the warranty. I just do not have the know-how with this. Someone here has probably done the legwork and has an opinion that I value much more than my own :)

Is there a sticky/thread somewhere with this ? I tried to look first.

Thanks
Nick
First post!
www.stillsmallvoice.info

Here you go.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category/HomeAudio

frenchmon

charne
02-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I've made several purchases from accessories4less, including a discontinued Marantz receiver, and have had great experiences.

L.J.
02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
So what's wrong with your Yammie?

What are you trying to accomplish by upgrading?