LaScala question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LaScala question

TedB
02-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I have a a pair of LaScala's and was wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a second pair of speakers that would compliment my existing ones? Looking for something less pricey, smaller, that wont be blown away by the LaScala's. System is exclusivly for music and I'm using a Nad Amp/Preamp. Dont have the space or the money for another big pair of Klipsch.

dogorman
02-10-2008, 06:45 AM
Why not a pre-owned pair of smaller Klipschs? Is there not enough room for, say, a pair of KG-4's? When I was in college a good buddy of mine had a pair of LaScala's at one end of his listening room and a pair of KG-4's at the other, and he'd hooked two integrated amps together through the tape loop -- about as low-tech a rig as you might imagine, provided you remember to switch the L and R on the second amp -- and it sounded great. There's a pair of KG-4's on the 'gon right now for two-fifty plus shipping.

Failing anything with even a KG-4's footprint, you're going to have trouble matching because Klipsch stuff is so darned sensitive. If the second pair were made by, say, Reference 3A or Joseph Audio, you'd have a great-imaging pair of monitors at the back of the room and you'd never know it because you'd never *hear* them.

Vardo
02-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I've have owned a pair of Klipsch LaScala's for over 10 yrs. Great speaker (expecially when paired with a NAD, which mine were).

I agree with dogorman about the pairing of the LaScala's with Klipsch
KG-4's. KG-4's at a used price of $200/$250 is a great deal. My
brother has KG-4's and also a good friend of mine has them. They
sound great,. They "do" match up well with LaScala's. The
only catch is that shipping costs on the KG-4's is expensive. They
are small compared to your LaScala's, but are still a fairly large, some
what of heavy speaker, and shipping costs could run you as much as the KG-4's cost....but would be welll worth it in the end...vardo

bfalls
02-11-2008, 07:20 PM
I can agree with the choice of the Kg4s. I've owned two pairs as well as a pair of Kg2s which are very similar. The Fortes would also be a very good choice, reaching a little deeper than the Kg4s. I would stay away from Hereseys. To me they are bass shy, but have good midrange. These are all part of the same line with similar components and designs.