Request for speaker co. info [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Request for speaker co. info

nightflier
02-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I have a speaker that looks identical to the Odyssey Nightingale (http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/odyssey-audio/floorstanding-speakers/PRD_132984_1594crx.aspx) but has a different manufacturer named on it. What is ironic is that the drivers are the same, the design is exactly the same, even the company name plaque on the back looks identical to the Nightingales. The workmanship on both speakers is equally good, and if this is a knock-off, it certainly is a pretty good looking one - I can's see any differences.

Brand: Revelation Exclusive Design
Model: Lyra III

What is also peculiar is that the ratings on the back are slightly different:

8 ohms (instead of the Nightingale's 4 ohms)
30-150W (instead of the Nightingale's 20-150W)

So this leaves me puzzled:

- Is this a legit company? I can't find anything online about them.
- What would it be worth?
- Is it another name for the Circe, the next model down?

Consequently, I have one of each brand, so someone out there could have two dissimilar speakers out there as well. If you're that person, please contact me.

Any help would be appreciated.

basite
02-09-2008, 02:24 AM
I don't know,

however, a google search returned no results. Are there significant price differences?
The brand's name is also a bit weird, I mean 'Revelation Exclusive Design'? I don't know any other speaker brand with such a name, exept for white van products. But since you say the build quality is 'the same'...

did you look at the crossover or so? check for ultra cheap components, if you could.
And most importantly, do they sound the same?

I'd say that there definately is something wrong though...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
02-09-2008, 09:05 AM
My first question is where did you purchase the speakers? I am also wondering if Oddyssey might have made them for an audio store so they could have a house brand. I could not find any information.

Jan-Erik
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Hi,

Don't worry, your speaker is quite legit. The Lyra is made by Revelation Audio, a company located in Mascouche, Canada. Alain Courteau is the designer and owner and it is he who designed and built the Nightingale speakers for Odyssey Audio. Alain is a constant tweaker and the Lyra series have benefited from several upgrades. Here's a link to his website :

http://www.revelationaudio.com/pages/englidebutpag.html

Click on 'Products' then 'Lyra series' and you'll find your speaker.

Alain is a very low key guy who would rather listen to music than sell speakers. I fell hard for the Lyra 7 speakers at the Montreal Hifi Expo in 2003, and every year find myself spending more time in the Revelation room than anywhere else. Alain's designs are always true to the music and put the emphasis on emotion above all.

The US list price in 2006 for the Lyra 3 was $ 2245 per pair.

I'm sure Alain would be delighted to hear from you if you want to find out more about any differences between your Lyra and its US version the Nightingale. You can reach him at :

info@revelationaudio.com

Regards

Jan-Erik Nordoen