Very pleasantly surprised with the bottom of the line AKGs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Very pleasantly surprised with the bottom of the line AKGs

Kaboom
02-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Since i crashed my car about 3 weeks ago, and i'm now forced to take public transportation, i saw myself in dire need of a decent pair of headphones so i could listen to it in the go.
i got the bottom of the line AKGs http://www.akg.com/personal/cproducts/powerslave,id,965,pcategory,4,nodeid,11,_language, EN.html
I know they're open back and not the best option for transportation but DAMN do they sound great.
They're not up to Grado SR-80 level, but they are a lot less bulky and you can actually wear them on the street without looking like an ass.
They have very trebble, clear but not shrill, easier to listen to than the grados
the midrange is adequate enough, considering these cost 42€. in fact its much, MUCH better when comparing it to the midrage of the Senns PX200 i still own.
and the BASS!! damn, when i saw the sticker on the box advertising the "excellent bass on the go" i thought it would be single-note and as thumby and inintelegible as they come, but its actually the best thing about these earphones. Clear, precise, punchy...
So basically, very very pleased. If you have a little more cash and NEED something close-backed, its older brother the K414p fits the bill.
cheers!

RGA
05-15-2008, 05:23 PM
I have the 26p which has been replaced by the 414p. The 26p is $40 and is probably the single best deal I've heard in the entire audio industry. I liked it so much I bought a second one because they discontinued it and I like the 416p less (wish they would not put sound altering volume controls on the wires.

It's a closed back headphone with excellent bass - a slightly rolled off treble (wise move actually) and can go very loud if that's your thing. I've let others try em and they ran out and bought a pair as well. The thing is you go to future shop and could buy a JVC, Panasonic or Sony $40 and they just SUCK compared to the AKG. I also liked the 24p which yours seems to have replaced.

I would not suggest it for serious audiophile classical and jazz music but for mp3 or cd portable on the go it makes more sense than overspending on a lot of cans that are kind of in the middle. The AKG 26p makes more sense than the Grado SR 60 and 80 for portability and costs less and does the pop/rock stuff just as well and a little less bright. And the Grado's are no great shakes for classical and jazz either (though a bit better).

http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/akg-k-26-p.php
This company makes some very very good headphones folks - after hearing several in the line I'd have to say I like them more than Sennheiser (really only the 580 and 600 are the aces in the Sennheiser camp the rest that I have heard are pretty underwhelming).

Rich-n-Texas
05-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Strange. Why do I feel like I just walked into or out of a time warp?

RGA
05-15-2008, 07:08 PM
that's just the Dalek making you think about time warps.

bobsticks
05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
that's just the Dalek making you think about time warps.

Hey speaking of Daleks and bizarro Dr. Who trivia, did the Tardis have anything to do with TARDis (Targeting Academic Research for Deposit and Disclosure) from SHERPA...or was that just a happy coincidence?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTELokKfCk

(For whatever reason the embedding function ain't workin')

RGA
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Man that was the weirdest video I've seen - love the silly dalek costume - way too much time on their hands.

Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension In Space) created in 1963 so it's probably a coincidence.