SACD - DVD audio 12 outs 6 ins HELP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SACD - DVD audio 12 outs 6 ins HELP

normancj
03-04-2004, 07:17 AM
Greetings, I am looking for some advice. I have a pretty good system. However my A/V unit Marantz SR18 supports 6 direct inputs, and I have both SACD (Marantz SA12-S1) and DVD players (Marantz DV12-S1) . Having to only listen to one unit at a time is very ing! If it’s DTS I am ok, but when the SACD player is connected I cannot listen to DVD audio formats without switching the interconnects back and forth, probably not a good thing either.

Has anyone used a high quality Y connector, or another devise to have both units direct analogue connections to an A/V amp? Are there any issues? Line leakage, possible damage, loss/degradation of signal etc etc etc. I realize I have to purchase 6 more interconnects.

Thank you for your advice in advance!

JSE
03-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Radio Shack makes some pretty nice Y-Splitters for analog lines. They have the cheaper generic and the Radio Shack Gold series. I use the Gold Series splitter for my mains that have a sub in each tower. I think they are about $10 or so. You will need 6 more lines plus 6 y-splitters. I think all the cables I have hooking up my DVD/DVD-A player cost more than the player itself. :mad:

JSE

nightflier
03-04-2004, 09:49 AM
...a high quality Y connector, or another devise ...

I would tread very carefully before going out and purchasing six Y-splitters. While I don't know what the side effects would be (I'm not an electrical engineer), I suspect that you would cause some serious damage if both players sent a signal over the wire at the same time and the Y-plitter would feed both into your receiver.

I would definitely wait until some others reply to this post. ...Anyone?

AVMASTER
03-04-2004, 10:27 AM
that's an interesting idea and there shouldn't be any problem with it, however since i've never actually tried it might i suggest skipping the y-jacks and trade both units for the DV8400

JSE
03-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Check this old thread out. Look at the link in the last post. It's an option. An expensive option, but an option.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=1727

JSE