New gear/new poster [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New gear/new poster

tony_abreu
02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi Folks,
I'm a newbie here, and I find very interesting the comments and discussions posted on these boards. I just purchased a pair of B&W 704, a Velodyne SPL 1000 Sub, a Denon AVR2808CI and, a Rotel RB-1070. I know that in the future I will have to upgrade my center channel and my rear channel. I was wondering any recomendation for the rear and center channel, I have been reading a lot of negative comments about the B&W HTM7, and would like to know what other option should I explore. I use the system 60% DVD (music and movies) and 40% Music.
Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Tony

basite
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Well, since you own 704's as mains, I'd recommend the HTM7 actually...

voice matching is very important in home theatre. The HTM7 is the only speaker that will have the same sonic signature as the 704's, so it would make a perfect match...

tony_abreu
02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Basite,
Thanks for your quick response.

Regards,

topspeed
02-07-2008, 03:32 PM
Like Basite mentioned, you really don't have much of a choice. It is imperative in any HT application that the front stage is a tonal match, otherwise as audio pans from side to side, you'll notice the difference and ruin the experience.

I'm interested in where your read a bad review for the HTM7? I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just curious that's all. B&W has gone to great lengths to make sure the center channel blends perfectly with the mains, one of the reasons why the tweeter is still mounted on top versus in the more popular (and space saving) D'Appolito array. The HTM7's array allows a dispersion pattern consistent with the mains ensuring proper coherence. As it is, finding a space large enough to put that puppy is quite the challenge. Trust me, I have first hand experience.

Rich-n-Texas
02-07-2008, 05:02 PM
I agree with both of these guys. I've got B&W's all the way around, and although I've got some acoustic challenges in my room, I wouldn't change anything. I'd also like to know who's bad-mouthing B&W's, as topspeed indicates.

And... welcome to the AR forums!

tony_abreu
02-08-2008, 06:05 AM
Guys thanks for the helpful hints.
When I started looking into what I should buy (speakers), I spent an enormous amount of time surfing the internet looking for information on what speakers to get, and what was the best match (amplifier) etc, etc. They were a couple of posting that were negative towards the HTM7. But as Rich-n-Texas mentioned, it could be just somebody bad mouthing the B&W.
I went to a local dealer in Miami, and I audition the Paradigm studio 60, B&W 703 and 704. I settle for the 704 due to budget constraint, but I really liked the 703. I’m very happy with the 704’s, and I want to make sure that my next purchase (HTM7) was the correct one.
Thanks again,
Tony

johnny p
02-08-2008, 06:33 AM
What did you hear bad about the HTM7? I have it, and it sounds glorious to me....

For surrounds you could get the 705s, but that might be over-kill, so if I were you, and you have the luxury of having a wife who'll let you wall-mount (mine isn't so understanding) I'd get the DS7s if I were you..... and when you think about it, The 705's (which I use as mains) need the matching B&W stands because you can mount them directly to the stands, and the stands cost $325 or so...... so you're looking at $2k for the pair with stands. The DS7s sound great also... I'm planning on getting the DS7s if the wife and I get a new house.... which will have a dedicated theater (can't wait)

johnny p
02-08-2008, 06:36 AM
sorry, but I have a question for you, Does that Rotel have HDMI ins/outs? and did you pick it up new, and how much???? if you don't want to say, just send me a PM.... I'm looking for a Marantz/Rotel...

thanks,

Rich-n-Texas
02-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Timbre matching is very important (which topspeed may already have eluded to), and is achieved by matching all speakers in a given environment. Who better than the manufacturer to know what the best match is right?

tony_abreu
02-08-2008, 07:48 AM
The Rotel RB-1070 doesn't have HDMI in/outs.
I purchased the item used in excellent condition. To be honest I couldn’t tell that it was used; he could have sold it to me as new. It was in its original package (box), and even the way he taped the box with the Rotel name looked brand new. I paid $550 in Audiogon. I have to say that I’m extremely happy with it.

Regards,
Tony

tony_abreu
02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Johnny,
The 705’s are definitely out of reach. I wouldn’t be able to justify that to my wifey. What is the cost of the DS7.

Regards,
Tony

johnny p
02-08-2008, 08:10 AM
sorry... The DS6 is what you'll want...... one step down from the DS7 but at less than half the price..... These are the ones I'm trying to get. They're going for $350 ea, or $700 for the pair. Not bad since you won't need stands.

http://www.hometheaterstore.com/B_W_DS6_S3_2_Way_Dipole_Monopole_Surround_System_p/ds6s3.htm

I don't know anything about this website, but I use it to cross-reference B&W speakers because it's the only site I could find that listed all of the B&W stuff at MSRP, I'm not sure if they're supposed to, but they do. They're in TX and I'm in Ohio, and they won't ship B&Ws anyways, but I have a local shop that will sell me B&Ws at 10% off retail or so... so it covers tax, not a bad deal.

By the way, when did you get your speakers??? before or after B&W jacked up their prices?? My 705's list for $825 each now, and I got them for $700 each..... which was GREAT.

tony_abreu
02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
I got them 01/31. I paid for the pair $2400.
What a coincidence, I also checked that website a couple of time. Matter of fact I compared the different color options in their website to get the wife opinion, but the real thing is always different than what you see in a tiny picture.

Tony