Need some setup advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some setup advice

jcmanic
02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
First off, I am a newcomer to the whole audio enthusiast department. I had no clue about speaker placement, voice matching, impedence, or room dimensions when I started piecing together a simple system that blows my TV sound out of the water.
Currently, I have a Sony STR-DE635 (free), Paradigm 7se's up front ($25), a Kenwood KS-201 HT (15) center, and 2 sony SS-SR16's in the rear (free) and a phase tech power10 sub($75) No snickering about my cheapness. Now, I dont want to scrap everything right now, but plan on upgrading each piece over time. I do have some cash to spend now,but am trying to figure out where to spend it.
When it comes to setup..... I'm stupid. My room is not acoustically oriented if you know what I mean. I've been reading about some different recievers with the auto set up feature, such as the HK 147 and 247 with teh EZset/EQ and the Onkyo TX-SR505 and 605 with Audyssey 2EQ. How good are these auto setups? Will they help me to get better sound from my pieced together system, or should I save my money for now and upgrade my center and surrounds first? The reason I ask is it seems the auto setup can help to get my speakers to a close match and to work together in harmony, rather than sounding like a bunch of different speakers scattered throughout my space. Am I reading too much into this? Can this be achieved without an auto setup feature with say, one of those sound meters from radio shack?

Sorry for the length, and thanks for the answers.,

Mr Peabody
02-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Dude, you do have DIFFERENT speakers spread around your place. There isn't anything you can do about that accept change it. My pick of your speakers are the Paradigm, what about you? If I had your system and ready to spend money I'd first buy the matching center speaker or if for some reason not possible, buy all new mains and center. And, get at least same brand and series surrounds. Then, get the Onkyo 605. I haven't used the Audessey myself, I hear it is one of the best and more brands are going with it. Most people I know who have a similar feature tweak it after the set up is run. Usually to the detreament of the sound, in my opinion. It's hard to tell some people that because subs go to 11, don't necessarily mean you have to go there :) For optimum surround though, you really have to have matching speakers.

I have to say you have a lot of system for your investment there.

jcmanic
02-05-2008, 08:41 PM
I think the sub and the paradigms can stay. the reciever will do for now I guess, until I can save up enough.
So now my question is.... what center will match the paradigms? anything from that company, or is there something in particular I should be looking for?

Mr Peabody
02-05-2008, 09:30 PM
You would need to check with a dealer or online to find which center, you want the same series as the mains. For instance, if they were Studio series you would want Studio series center.

blackraven
02-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Paradigm make great center channel speakers. Go with the CC-270 or CC-370. Both have great sound, you wont be disappointed. I wish I had heard the paradigm centers before I bought my B&W.
I also agree with the Onkyo 605 receiver.

jcmanic
02-06-2008, 10:04 AM
SCORE! Found a set of Atoms, a cc-270, along with a yamaha reciever, a yamaha active sub, and 2 polk audio surrounds for a whopping $150:)

Jack in Wilmington
02-06-2008, 05:40 PM
What are you going to do with all those speakers? Now the Atom's and the CC-270 are all you need out of that lot you just described. The Atom's will make excellent surrounds. Pick up the Onkyo 605 as Mr P. suggested and you'll have the start of a nice system. You can get the Onkyo for a shade under $400 online at a number of sites. Once you get that done you can evaluate your setup and see what your weak link is and work on that.

Mr Peabody
02-06-2008, 07:52 PM
He could probably keep the needed Paradigms and sell the rest to recoop his money and end up with free speakers. If the Yamaha is current it could be worth keeping. It's probably better than the Sony but it's not going to have the slam of the Onkyo.

jcmanic
02-07-2008, 08:06 AM
yeah, I'm planning on selling some of the stuff in the package to even out the cost for me. I may still have money left over for a reciever.

So why the onkyo 605 over the HK 247?

Jack in Wilmington
02-07-2008, 04:12 PM
I've jumped off the HK bandwagon years ago. My local HiFi shop stopped carrying them because of QC issues. I feel that Onkyo is a better deal for the money. The 605 and the 247 are about the same price wise. The 605 is 90w per channel versus 50 for the 247. The Onkyo will decode all the latest HD formats. The Audyssey speaker setup feature is a great tool that saves time by automatically setting your sound field.