Dynaudio Audience 52 damage [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dynaudio Audience 52 damage

audio amateur
02-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi guys,
If the tweeters on a pair of 52's are pushed in, does that mean they are permanently damaged? If so how will the effect on the sound be? And how much will it set me back to order a pair?
thanks

JohnMichael
02-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi guys,
If the tweeters on a pair of 52's are pushed in, does that mean they are permanently damaged? If so how will the effect on the sound be? And how much will it set me back to order a pair?
thanks

No there are many techniques to pull out the dome to it's normal shape. We had a thread about the best way to pull the dent out of the dome without harm. I have used a small corner on a piece of tape and gently pulled out the dent. Once the dent is out the sound should be as before. I would think Dynaudio tweeters would be expensive.

Just be careful that you do not pull too hard. It may take several attempts to bring the dome back to the original shape. Others may have better tips than this.

basite
02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
aren't they soft dome tweeters?

try sucking them out with your mouth if they are really soft dome tweeters, if that doesn't work, you could also try a vacuum cleaner, start at the softest mode.

But first try sucking or the tape (the tape might have the biggest chance of succes, so try that first)...

Good luck,
And keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
02-05-2008, 12:16 PM
cheers guys. Yeah I thnk they are soft dome. I thought maybe they were permanently damaged if they were pushed in. So what effect does it have on the sound otherwise??

basite
02-05-2008, 01:15 PM
dispersion will probably be messed up completely, and the driver's structural stiffness, maybe the sensitivity will vary too, because of the stiffness is different.

so it might sound thinner, and muddier.

This is most of the times not true for dustcaps on mids and woofers though, but tweeters' sound quality can be influenced by pushing it in...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
02-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Never thought a 17 year old would teach me something in audio;)

JohnMichael
02-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Never thought a 17 year old would teach me something in audio;)

When I was young and selling audio we had a day we were not very busy. A young man rode up on his bicycle and wanted to hear the equipment. The salesman whose turn it was to wait on the customer did not want to bother. I offered to show him around and demo equipment since it would be more interesting than listening to their stories again. The young man was very bright and very interested. He listened to various speakers and we talked about a system that would be good for him. After about an hour and a half he still had been our only customer. The other salesmen laughed that I wasted so much time with him.

Hours later the young man came back with his father and bought the system we had discussed. I had the only sale that day.

Bert with his knowledge and enthusiasm reminds me of that young man's interest and intelligence. Now he is teaching others, go Bert.

basite
02-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Bert with his knowledge and enthusiasm reminds me of that young man's interest and intelligence. Now he is teaching others, go Bert.

I learned alot here too,
my dealer seems very similar to you.

I take pleasure in learning about audio and 'teaching' the things I've learned to others. I think that when everyone can learn from everyone else, no matter how old or young they are...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

KUNK
02-08-2008, 12:10 AM
Be careful with the vacuum. Ya don't want to suck it off completely (sorry, there's just no good way to say it). If you consider the surface area involved, it would be possible, even likely, with most vacuums.

I've got a full set of Dyn's on the HT and 42's in my office. I love the darn things. I've also got a pair of Grandkids that race around the house now and then and I'm too slow to catch em. So, I worry about my Dyn's.

I could'nt find anything, in the very limited info they give you, that would help. I'll check the net and a couple of folks at Dyn...I probably need to know too.

You might want to try out low tack magic, or other quick release, tape (mabey muss it up a bit to reduce adheision). Then use a narrow peice, inverted (adhesive out) over a small circular xsection like a pencil eraser to gently (very light touch) contact and slowly pull out the deformation. Then use more force as required to increase adhesion and the resultant tensile load on the dome material. If you creat a small tear, it can probably be repaired with a tiny drop of thin CA....don't glue your fingers to the damn thing! The're ~ $200 to recone probably twice that to replace (check eBay). Good luck. Let me know how it works out...You just never know.

audio amateur
02-08-2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks. It's actually for a guy on ebay, as he is selling his, and I could see the damage. He wasn't aware they were damaged. He brought 'em back to the shop and they fixed it for him:)

Mr Peabody
02-08-2008, 07:44 AM
KUNK's a Dyn man, I knew there was some reason I was liking him.

I have to agree, Basite is wise beyond his years with the hobby, and, as usual, he has supplied a good reply to the question. I really don't want to admit this but that's how I got my tweets back to form. Now don't get a big head, you punk!

basite
02-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I have to agree, Basite is wise beyond his years with the hobby, and, as usual, he has supplied a good reply to the question. I really don't want to admit this but that's how I got my tweets back to form. Now don't get a big head, you punk!

Thanks, and don't worry about that big head thing :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.