Hey FA (or anyone really)...Beardfish on Youtube [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey FA (or anyone really)...Beardfish on Youtube

3-LockBox
02-05-2008, 12:08 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Did you get Beardfish yet?

Does anyone get Beardfish?

I was listening to samples of an earlier album of theirs called Sane Day, which is similar to a children's story ala Ritual. Then it occurred to me...this singer sounds a lot like John Popper from Blues Traveler. Maybe even a young Steve Miller.

Anyhoo, here's a bit of Beardfish on YouTube. They really smoke live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cit1bXbiCs8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyWOhz5sqqA&NR=1

Warning: some cursing - or as one poster put it, Zappa meets Gentle Giant ;)

I looked on Amazon and used copies of Sane Day go for around 40-something dollars...I'll wait.

These guys are good.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ForeverAutumn
02-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Thanks for the You Tube links. I'm listening to them now. Definate Zappa resemblances for sure. I ordered Sleeping in Traffic, along with five other disks, from my Indy store. He phoned me early last week to say that most of my order was in...I don't know specifically if this disk is the part that was in and I haven't had time to wander over and pick up my stuff. I'm hoping to get there some time this week.

Finch Platte
02-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Wow, that's pretty bad.

Maybe if they had James LaBrie singing for them it would help.

fp

ForeverAutumn
02-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Got the disk at lunch along with a bunch of other stuff...

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years (finally!)
Planet X - Quantum (I'm very curious to hear this)
Spocks Beard - V (an oldie but a goodie)
Threshold - Wounded Land (different vocalist than Critical Mass and Dead Reckoning so it'll be interesting to see how I like it).

I still have another Riverside disk and Augie March on order but they haven't come in yet.

Finch Platte
02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Got the disk at lunch along with a bunch of other stuff...

Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years (finally!)
Planet X - Quantum (I'm very curious to hear this)
Spocks Beard - V (an oldie but a goodie)
Threshold - Wounded Land (different vocalist than Critical Mass and Dead Reckoning so it'll be interesting to see how I like it).

I still have another Riverside disk and Augie March on order but they haven't come in yet.

Single-handedly keeping the independent record store in business, eh? Good for you.

'Bout time you made a comp, idden it? :)

fp

3-LockBox
02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Definate Zappa resemblances for sure.

That clip is pretty much it for their Zappa impersonation though. Sleeping In Traffic Pt 1 is different from Sane Day...less showing off and more attention to songcraft, more song oriented too, as Sane Day seems to be a c-c-c-concept album (hard for me to say it). They're like a bluesier version of Ritual. You're going to hear more Ritual/Kaipa influence on Sleeping pt1.

His vox are a tad strained here in these clips but who knows what part of the show these were taken from. Definately not shy.

ForeverAutumn
02-06-2008, 10:51 AM
This Beardfish CD is kind of wacky. I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet.

But I like it!

3-LockBox
02-06-2008, 11:49 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">In what way is it whacky? Yes, they're all over the place as far as styles go. And there is a definate blues thing going on - kinda remainds me of the first few Steve Miller albums with its semi-spacey blues rock motif. I've grown more impressed with this every time I listen to it.

But if the blues is off-putting to some proggers, then they may have a hard time getting into it. The writing is way fresher than any blues album you'll here, and the proliferation of organ is a throwback for blues as much as it is for that style rock. The keyboard playing on some of the songs is not what you're used to hearing on traditional Swedish prog.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This Beardfish CD is kind of wacky. I'm not quite sure what to make of it yet.

But I like it!