Cable/Satellite Rating by Consumerreports. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable/Satellite Rating by Consumerreports.

Smokey
02-04-2008, 08:54 PM
In Consumer Reports’ latest survey of several major telecom/cable providers, featured in the February '08 issue, Verizon FiOS, whose network is fiber-optic based, received superior scores for reliability and performance for its Internet, television, and telephone services.

For satellite, DirecTV scored significantly higher than all the major cable companies and Dish Network, the other major provider of satellite service.

Comacast almost ranked at bottom. I have comcast and I think they are providing a decent service albiet not be able to provide me a with [non HD] cable box that have s-video output.

*Edit: If below graph is not shown, click here (http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r19793632-people-surveyed-by-consumer-reports-rate-comcast-low)

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/1262885.thumb600~4bf34e7c1f6eb88e998707aac7a37a31/consumer%20reports.jpg/thumb.jpg

pixelthis
02-05-2008, 12:54 AM
In Consumer Reports’ latest survey of several major telecom/cable providers, featured in the February '08 issue, Verizon FiOS, whose network is fiber-optic based, received superior scores for reliability and performance for its Internet, television, and telephone services.

For satellite, DirecTV scored significantly higher than all the major cable companies and Dish Network, the other major provider of satellite service.

Comacast almost ranked at bottom. I have comcast and I think they are providing a decent service albiet not be able to provide me a with [non HD] cable box that have s-video output.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1269313.thumb600~d0ae4a6b701f303ac760191ea4061308/ScreenHunter_01%20Jan.%2031%2000.51.jpg/thumb.jpg

I have a digital comcast box that is hd capable, but you have to order the hd package,
and, yes, it does have svhs, which I HAVE HOOKED INTO MY DVD RECORDER.
Why would you want a non-hd box anyway?
Its not a question of non hd or hd, its a question of digital or non digital, and there is really no reason to offer a non digital box, at least a fancy non digital box.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-05-2008, 08:06 AM
I read the same accolades about FIOS in Sound & Vision mag. Not that S&V is an authority. Nevertheless, I made the right choice by dropping D*TV and going with the Verizon Triple Play. I did a side-by-side comparison with my HDTV using its split-screen capabilities, and I saw no difference between FIOS and OTA signals. I could check again to see how many HD channels I get but that's not as important to me as PQ.

Smokey
02-05-2008, 02:10 PM
Why would you want a non-hd box anyway?

My TV is not HD, so HD cable box will probably be waste. Comcast told me to get HD box, it will be $7 extra. Currently there is no charge for their non HD cable box which came with package they offered me.

I did a side-by-side comparison with my HDTV using its split-screen capabilities, and I saw no difference between FIOS and OTA signals.

Too bad Fios is not my neck of the woods. I have subscription to Comcast analog channels, and the new cable box comcast have really cleans it up. If you pipe the cable analog signal straight to TV (coax in), it got alot of noise. But if piped it thru the cable box, the signal is very clean on all anlaog channels.

Rich-n-Texas
02-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I have an additional set top box for my CRT TV connected via S-vid. I wish I could utilize the TV's component video inputs but the picture is excellent nevertheless.

Too bad Fios is not my neck of the woods.
Yes, that's a problem right now. Telco's are behind when talking subscriber numbers, but they'll get there.

pixelthis
02-06-2008, 12:59 AM
My TV is not HD, so HD cable box will probably be waste. Comcast told me to get HD box, it will be $7 extra. Currently there is no charge for their non HD cable box which came with package they offered me.

Too bad Fios is not my neck of the woods. I have subscription to Comcast analog channels, and the new cable box comcast have really cleans it up. If you pipe the cable analog signal straight to TV (coax in), it got alot of noise. But if piped it thru the cable box, the signal is very clean on all anlaog channels.

You will have to do something, the signals your set picks up will go dark in 2009.
you will need the digital box or some other kind of converter.
You can get a HD tv for 400 bucks these days, (26") so I dont see what the holdup is:1:

Rock&Roll Ninja
02-06-2008, 09:38 AM
You will have to do something, the signals your set picks up will go dark in 2009.
No it won't. He's a cable customer. Only people who use antennas to get free over-the-air TV have to concern themselves with the digital switch. Cable and Satellite customers can find something else to concern themselves with.

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 12:00 AM
No it won't. He's a cable customer. Only people who use antennas to get free over-the-air TV have to concern themselves with the digital switch. Cable and Satellite customers can find something else to concern themselves with.

If you have a digital box.
Hes talking about an analog box.
So hes' gonna have to pony up and get a DIGITAL SOURCE BY 09.
His cable wont even be offering analog by then, which is what he implied he wanted.
:1:

JSE
02-07-2008, 01:10 PM
If you have a digital box.
Hes talking about an analog box.
So hes' gonna have to pony up and get a DIGITAL SOURCE BY 09.
His cable wont even be offering analog by then, which is what he implied he wanted.
:1:

Comcast has boxes that are digital and not HD. As long as he has one of these boxes, he does not have to upgrade. I am pretty sure Comcast stopped giving out analog boxes several years ago.

Smokey
02-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Comcast has boxes that are digital and not HD. As long as he has one of these boxes, he does not have to upgrade.

Yes, that is true. My cable box is digital but not HD as I also receive Cinemax multi channels also.

The problem I have is my TV does not have Comb filter and signal that is piped thru its Composit (RCA) or Coax input will have an effect called "shimmering". It is not very noticable, but it is there neverthless. Comcast tried very hard to locate me a cable box with S-video output, but no luck.

And as a side note, my Tv does have digital tuner. I'm not that far behind time :ciappa:

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Comcast has boxes that are digital and not HD. As long as he has one of these boxes, he does not have to upgrade. I am pretty sure Comcast stopped giving out analog boxes several years ago.

All of their digital boxes are digital and HD capable, you just have to have the service turned on.
They might have some older boxes they havent replaced yet, but they will:1:

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes, that is true. My cable box is digital but not HD as I also receive Cinemax multi channels also.

The problem I have is my TV does not have Comb filter and signal that is piped thru its Composit (RCA) or Coax input will have an effect called "shimmering". It is not very noticable, but it is there neverthless. Comcast tried very hard to locate me a cable box with S-video output, but no luck.

And as a side note, my Tv does have digital tuner. I'm not that far behind time :ciappa:

I dont know, without a comb you are basically using what mr spock reffered to as
"stone knives and bearskins".
I wish you could use my cable box, it has svhs, hooked into the dvd recorder.
Dont know why this is such a problem.
Most likely they dont want to mess with it:1: