Home Electrical issues [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Electrical issues

Dharris
02-03-2008, 12:31 PM
When my tv is set at a low volume, once in a while it seams the static electricity from my dogs or humans make the tv vollume jump up. Anyone know what could be causing this?

hermanv
02-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Does it jump up and then back down? Or does it stay up?

Why do you think it's static electricity from pets or people?

Dharris
02-03-2008, 08:10 PM
It only jumps up in volume, never gone back down after.. We live in a really dry area, I notice when the dogs are in their kennels and they touch their nose to create the ground, the volume goes up all the sudden. Same with people that are wearing fleece jackets that create a static electricity on the couch. Voo Doo stuff I tell ya.

hermanv
02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
There is a DAC or register that stores the digital value that gets applied to the attenuator device. This is how a TV remembers the volume setting when you turn it off. A static pulse could easily increment the count.

1. Try a surge suppressor.
2. make sure all components are plugged into the same outlet (surge suppressor with multiple outlets?)
3. Make sure you have a good ground to as many pieces of equipment that will take a ground.

It's probably not Voodoo (:)) but it could be sneaky.

Rich-n-Texas
02-04-2008, 05:26 AM
There is a DAC or register that stores the digital value that gets applied to the attenuator device. This is how a TV remembers the volume setting when you turn it off. A static pulse could easily increment the count.

1. Try a surge suppressor.
2. make sure all components are plugged into the same outlet (surge suppressor with multiple outlets?)
3. Make sure you have a good ground to as many pieces of equipment that will take a ground.

It's probably not Voodoo (:)) but it could be sneaky.
I would agree that you could have a grounding issue. You might want to try to find ways to increase the humidity in your dwelling as well. At work, we try to maintain about 70% relative humidity which helps keep electrostatic discharges at a manageable level.

Dharris
02-04-2008, 06:13 AM
thanks all for your help, much appreciated.