Samsung TVs, What I've learned, FWIW [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Samsung TVs, What I've learned, FWIW

tin ear
02-03-2008, 09:03 AM
I have pretty much narrowed my search down to the top (or top-ish) Samsung
models. I don't know if the Sony comparable models are better TVs, but they are
slightly more expensive, enough so for me to rule them out for now.

Here's what I've learned about the various Samsung "LNT" (LCD TV) models
(maybe this will be helpful to someone):
The model numbers are LNTxxyy, where xx is the screen size, and yy is the series.
xx71 - Contrast ratio 25,000:1, 120 Hz frame rate
xx69 - 20,000:1, 120 Hz
xx65 - 15,000:1, standard frame rate (60 Hz?)
xx61 - 10,000:1, std. FR
xx53 - 5,000:1, std. FR

I'm sure there are other features across models which I am not considering, but the
contrast ratio looks to be the price-determining factor.
I have heard that the eye cannot resolve contrast greater than 20,000:1.

Unrelated to Samsung TVs: The conventional wisdom around my office was that
prices will drop after the Super Bowl. I have lost out on that bet. OK, the Super
Bowl hasn't played out yet, but today starts the beginning of the week following
the game. Yesterday (or possibly all last week) I could have bought a LNT4069
at BB for $1780. Today it is $2200. :incazzato: Maybe they'll drop again next week
for VD. :rolleyes:
At Crutchfield the price seems not to have changed today, but the free wall bracket
deal goes away.
There are still good discounts at Newegg and Amazon, however.

pixelthis
02-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Get the Sony.
It costs more because it IS more.
Samsung is the largest maker of computer drives in the world, among other things,
they are a very good north korean company. I have owned a 47in rptv (HD) AND
ONE of their top of the line "tau" 30in direct view models.
Both were good, but Korea is a relative newcomer to the consumer electronics game, at least high end electronics.
Koreas legacy is goldstar, etc, JAPAN IS SONY, with the triniton, the xbr, etc.
I have owned four Sonys, they were vetrans in the late seventies when Samsung wasnt even around in a serious fashion.
I liked, and enjoyed the experience of my Samsungs.
But I LOVED my Sonys, and still remember the sepia toned pic I could get on Casablanca with my first sony in the mid eighties, a 20in model, and the first XBR.
Samsung isnt bad by any streach, but they are rancho cucamonga,
Sony is yankee stadium:1:

pixelthis
02-03-2008, 11:32 PM
AS FOR the superbowl, I have read an article today from an audio video installer in birmingham, the week before the bowl is his busiest, not just sales but tweaks, service calls, etc.
I have heard this from others also, but I DONT KNOW IF THEY DROP PRICES AFTER THE BOWL, they might, might not:1:

blackraven
02-04-2008, 08:49 AM
Go with the Sony XBR4. Picture qualty is similar but the new 120Hz samsung uses a new higher glare screen to increase contrast. The reflection on the samsung is alot worse then the sony because of this. If your putting the TV in a bright area you will appreciate the lower glare on the sony. I prefer the over all look of the samsung cabinet over the sony but that high glare screen forced me to buy the sony this week. I paid $2990 for the 52" with a free bluray player and 36 month financing.

Avnew
02-04-2008, 10:30 AM
My LNT5271 will literally arrive any second now. I just want to know what everyone thinks about the quality. I've seen mixed reviews so far. I hear it has different auto motion settings.
What is the best setting for watching normal TV?
Ron

tin ear
02-04-2008, 04:59 PM
My LNT5271 will literally arrive any second now. I just want to know what everyone thinks about the quality. I've seen mixed reviews so far. I hear it has different auto motion settings.
What is the best setting for watching normal TV?
Ron
Ron, the reviews I've read indicate that that is a top-notch set. I'm considering it
too, along with the LNT__69, but a smaller set, 40 or 46".

Other comments:
1. I thought Samsung was a South Korean company. Also, if this has any bearing
on the expected quality of their products (Korean, not Samsung), I have an over
ten-year-old KDS crt monitor that is still going strong, and is the best monitor I've
had (I've gone through a few).
2. The Sammy LNTxx69 has a non-glare screen, I believe, though the xx71 has
the slick screen like you say.
3. ICBW, but I heard Sammy makes the display panels Sony uses. Japan out-
sources a lot too.

No doubt the Sonys are fine sets. The XBR4 is way up on my list, along with the
LNTxx69 and LNTxx71 (though I don't know about that glare thing on the 71; that's
worth considering -- I'll have to go take another look and see if it's bothersome).
I'll do some more looking around and studying, but probably whichever one of
those three that comes along at a price point I can't refuse will end up in my
entertainment center. :ihih:
EDIT: Pix, you do make a strong case for the Sonys...

Thanks for the input. :smile5:
-j

pixelthis
02-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Well. You're not going to go wrong with either product, I have had two sammy display devices and currently have one of their upconverting DVD players.
Its just that Sony (IMHO) is a more refined product.
And the picture is a lot better. The only time I dont have a Sony is when I cant afford one (like now)
I like my current TV, but if I GET A REBATE CHECK ITS GOING ON THE MARKET,
and I WILL OWN A SONY:1:

blackraven
02-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Samsung does make the display for sony and it is a S.Korean company. The sony's picture has always been slightly more refined than the comparable samsung. When you see them side by side and properly calbrated the sony picture has always seemed slightly better but not by much and I don't think its enough of a difference to sway me either way. The bottom line is that you cant go wrong with either TV.

And one last comment about the glare issue. All the stores that I had been to said that the Samsung LCD is losing sales to the sony because of this. If you dont plan on using it in a bright area then dont worry about it. My tv faces 4 huge windows on the south side of the house so this was an issue for us.

tin ear
02-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Samsung does make the display for sony and it is a S.Korean company. The sony's picture has always been slightly more refined than the comparable samsung. When you see them side by side and properly calbrated the sony picture has always seemed slightly better but not by much and I don't think its enough of a difference to sway me either way. The bottom line is that you cant go wrong with either TV.
So there is more going on here than just the panel. With other hardware, firmware,
etc. Sony is squeezing more performance out of Samsung's panel than Samsung
is? I'll need to do some close comparisons. And of course, the fact that Sammy
makes Sony's panel doesn't mean they use the same panel either.

And one last comment about the glare issue. All the stores that I had been to said that the Samsung LCD is losing sales to the sony because of this. If you dont plan on using it in a bright area then dont worry about it. My tv faces 4 huge windows on the south side of the house so this was an issue for us.
May be an issue for me too, though my windows opposite the screen are north
facing. I wonder about lamps, though too. I'll look into this some more, thanks.

That's a very good price you got on your 52" XBR with a blu-ray thrown in. :biggrin5:
Mind if I ask where? (I'm mentally scaling your price down to a 40"-46" screen and it looks pretty good.)

blackraven
02-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Circuit City was advertising the 52" XBR4 for $3,000 last week before the superbowl. So I stopped into Ultimate Electronics store just up the street from CC to see if they would beat the price, but they had already matched the price and the 36 month interest free financing along with a free Sony BDP-300 BR. I thought about going to Best Buy which was 5min away to see if they would give me abetter deal but I really like the salesman and gave him the sale.

Sony was giving away free Blurays because sharp had lowered the price of their 52 LCD and they were offering a free Sharp BR.