Outlet overload with AV equipment [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Outlet overload with AV equipment

snodog
02-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Anyone know what the maximum safe load is for standard electrical outlet? Just curious as I have my 50" dlp, Ps3, and dish. I have a 5 channel reciever that I am going to replace sometime and ordered the amp. In the meantime the 7 channel amp will be hooked to my receiver. I am curious if this will draw too much current to have all these things hooked into two outlets?

Groundbeef
02-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Anyone know what the maximum safe load is for standard electrical outlet? Just curious as I have my 50" dlp, Ps3, and dish. I have a 5 channel reciever that I am going to replace sometime and ordered the amp. In the meantime the 7 channel amp will be hooked to my receiver. I am curious if this will draw too much current to have all these things hooked into two outlets?

If you smell smoke, its a bad sign!

Usually if you are tripping your breakers, your load is too high. Check your breaker box, and look at the switch for the circuit your using. It should give you the load acceptable for that breaker.

Then check your equipment, and add up the peak usage. Should give you some idea.

Rich N Texas ought to be able to help you.

Off the top of my head, I would say your ok with current load.

Luvin Da Blues
02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
A standard household branch circuit is rated for 15 amps. Theoretically your not supposed to load the circuit more than 80% so, to prevent any nuisance tripping you're limited to 12 amps. This is for the whole circuit so you would need to add up all amperages of the things plugged into that circuit.

Cheers LDB

BTW, I was an electrician for 20+ years.

Rich-n-Texas
02-02-2008, 03:06 PM
BTW, I was an electrician for 20+ years.
:rolleyes:

:smilewinkgrin:

Luvin Da Blues
02-02-2008, 08:20 PM
Just thought I would add some credibility, electrical advise from a novice is not highly recommended. Especially when it comes to things like circuit protection.

basite
02-03-2008, 04:38 AM
I have 20A lines here into my room (2 seperate circuits, in fact...), and we have 220Volt here in europe...

do the math, 20A*220V= 4400W maximum.
check your fuses, and multiply by 110.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Groundbeef
02-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Just thought I would add some credibility, electrical advise from a novice is not highly recommended. Especially when it comes to things like circuit protection.

So what are you saying? I need to take the pennies out of my fuse box? It just gets so annoying when the fuse burns out all the time.

Luvin Da Blues
02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
So what are you saying? I need to take the pennies out of my fuse box? It just gets so annoying when the fuse burns out all the time.

I wouldn't worry about it. :yikes:

Bert, I guess I should have qualified my post with.....in North America the standard branch circuit....

pixelthis
02-03-2008, 10:25 PM

You dont have it hooked into "two" outlets, if I REMEMBER correctly the dual plugs on most walls go to the same circuit, indeed, most plugs and lights in a room, and maybe other rooms, goes on one circuit.
HT and audio types love "gear", nothing wrong with that, but they usually skimp on the basics.
If you can afford it a dedicated box for your HT room is advisable if not possible.
Best thing would be to get an electrician out to look at you setup.
Its not just a question of amps, its also a question of a proper ground, and a good thing is to have your circuit that feeds your gear to to not be shared with anything else, if it has to be, then try to leave stuff like appliances, etc off, they might produce noise.
I know people who spend hundreds on power conditioners, power cords, etc, and the best thing they could do is have their wiring inspected, and a dedicated box, or circuit at least, for their gear:1: