Stoopid Cabling Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid Cabling Question

hydroman
02-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Now that i have a TV with the component R/G/B inputs - can i use good ol' RCAs to connect to them?

Or should i just use the S-Video connectors...

Or it just doesn't matter!

Thanks!

zepman1
02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
It matters a LOT. Don't use the S-video, it can only pass a maximum resolution of 480i. You can't even resolve standard DVD resolution to its best (480p) let alone HD signals.

Use the component video cables as they can pass 1080i and 720p resolutions. Don't just get some cheap junk from Walrat but get something decent. Parts Express has some decent cables for the money.

audio amateur
02-01-2008, 02:07 PM
It matters a crap load, you better get that cable, and now!:cornut:

Mr Peabody
02-01-2008, 06:13 PM
You can't use just regular RCA's, you have to get "component" cables. Does your new TV have HDMI? You should be able to find a deal on component since every one is transitioning to HDMI.

pixelthis
02-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Now that i have a TV with the component R/G/B inputs - can i use good ol' RCAs to connect to them?

Or should i just use the S-Video connectors...

Or it just doesn't matter!

Thanks!

If your set doesnt have HDMI then its obsolete out of the box.
Sorry.
Some of the newer DVD players dont even HAVE componet.
If you want a Blu ray or upconverter you need hdmi, a upconverter wont display anything beyond 480p on componet.
And dont worry about the cables, standard ones will do.
Any kind of RCA cable will work.
Componet is on the box of componet cables so they can charge more for it:1:

Mr Peabody
02-04-2008, 08:18 PM
Pix, as usual you show you don't know what you are talking about. The package says "component" because that is what they are designed for, they have to have the proper bandwidth to pass 720p or 1080i video.

http://www.hometheaternetwork.com/HTN_Cables5.htm

pixelthis
02-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Pix, as usual you show you don't know what you are talking about. The package says "component" because that is what they are designed for, they have to have the proper bandwidth to pass 720p or 1080i video.

http://www.hometheaternetwork.com/HTN_Cables5.htm

And I have some prime land in Florida I would like to let you have, CHEAP.
ANY SET OF THREE rca cables will have plenty of "BANDWIDTH" to pass any kind of signal you want, within reason.
There is no electrical difference. THESE SAY "COMPONET " on the box because they have the specs to carry video.
What they DONT say is that any rca cable has similar specs.
They dont say that so you will pay 75 bucks for a componet cable when a 12 dollar set of decent cables will work fine.
They just have to have adequate sheilding, gold plate is preferrable, and a decent guage, thats all.
So tell me, have you gone through life basing decisions on what people "say"?
Explains a lot.
And dont say I dont know what I am talking about, I didnt waste good money on a friggin power cord that was electrically the same as the one I REPLACED IT WITH,
and I DONT SIT AROUND LISTENING TO a vaccume tube dinosaur because its trendy:1:

Mr Peabody
02-05-2008, 05:19 PM
And I have some prime land in Florida I would like to let you have, CHEAP.
ANY SET OF THREE rca cables will have plenty of "BANDWIDTH" to pass any kind of signal you want, within reason.
There is no electrical difference. THESE SAY "COMPONET " on the box because they have the specs to carry video.
What they DONT say is that any rca cable has similar specs.
They dont say that so you will pay 75 bucks for a componet cable when a 12 dollar set of decent cables will work fine.
They just have to have adequate sheilding, gold plate is preferrable, and a decent guage, thats all.

* Hopefully anyone really interested in the truth will read the article and understand I originally gave the correct answer and you are the biggest MORON to ever hit this board. Not only do you give out WRONG information, when shown you are wrong you persist on remaining ignorant.

So tell me, have you gone through life basing decisions on what people "say"?
Explains a lot.

* I'd say, it explains why I know what I'm talking about when I post information and you are totally clueless. No wonder you can't tell any difference between resolutions with watching TV via any RCA found in a closet.

And dont say I dont know what I am talking about, I didnt waste good money on a friggin power cord that was electrically the same as the one I REPLACED IT WITH,
and I DONT SIT AROUND LISTENING TO a vaccume tube dinosaur because its trendy:1:

OK, I won't say you don't know what you are talking about BUT you don't know what you are talking about or the first thing about audio or video or probably much of anything else. You should realize that people on this board know what they are talking about and you need to leave because you can't bull**** your way around here anymore. Any thread you ever posted to some one has corrected you and has some kind of conflict with you because you remain ignorant and love it that way.

You also further show your ignorance to everyone by trying to insult some of the finest hi fi gear around which happens to sound better than your little brain could imagine. So you stick with your system using the wrong cables and probably nothing hooked up correctly and I will stick with the ole dinosaur.

Smokey
02-05-2008, 10:13 PM
You should realize that people on this board know what they are talking about and you need to leave because you can't bull**** your way around here anymore.

Come on now, you have to accept that there are different opinions out there that you and I might not agree with, and IMO they should be heard. Nothing is accomplish by silencing them

As far as component vs RCA cables, as long as RCA cable is 75 ohm and is quality built (not those hair thin cables), it should be alright. The green cable of component carry the most bandwidth, so use the best cable for that connection.

pixelthis
02-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Come on now, you have to accept that there are different opinions out there that you and I might not agree with, and IMO they should be heard. Nothing is accomplish by silencing them

As far as component vs RCA cables, as long as RCA cable is 75 ohm and is quality built (not those hair thin cables), it should be alright. The green cable of component carry the most bandwidth, so use the best cable for that connection.

Thank you.
One of my chief gripes about this industry is that there is so much snake oil floating around.
As for MR P , well, him and others like him are one of the reasons there is a lot of crap involved in my posts, because I REFUSE TO adhere to audio myths that is the mantra of the MR P type, the myths that they use in place of the knowledge they lack.
Some salesman tells him that a "component" cable is "different" and how can he know that the salesman is full of it?
His knowledge of electronics is near zero, which is fine if he'd just listen to the ones who DO know something:1:

Mr Peabody
02-06-2008, 07:15 PM
It's a fact that HD video requires a certain bandwidth and you can not use any RCA cable. Does component have RCA connectors sure and you can plug them in but they won't do the job. Smokie you basically said, if a RCA is the same as a component it will work. If it's the same spec as a component it will work BUT the original question was "can I use any RCA cable", answer, NO. You can't use "ANY" RCA cable and get the same result as using a component cable. It's irresponsible to tell some one they can. Don't anyone read the links posted, it's not just my opinion. I didn't say go buy a $500.00 set, I said you need component cables to do the job of component cables. If you have a tester and can be sure all your cables have the bandwidth then you are all good. But to go and pick up and RCA cable and think it's going to do what a component cable will is nonsense and frankly I'm surprised you went there Smokie. I know you are one who don't see any difference between entry level and higher end but that's not the point of debate. I can't take the RCA's off my CD player and plug them into my component video and expect the same result as a dedicated set of component video cables.

hermanv
02-06-2008, 08:34 PM
OK. There are audio RCA cables, these are usually not a controlled impedance and work just fine with the traditional audio equipment input impedance of 47K Ohms or so. There are also video cables generically known as coax cables, these are 75 Ohm controlled impedance. This is IMPORTANT, non-coax cables used for video will cause reflections , the end result is a picture with ghosts in the worst case, blurring or ringing in the case of shorter cable lengths. In any event a picture that is not as good as it could be.

Where exotic audio cables are often multiple conductors, coax cables have a single conductor kept carefully centered in an outer conductive sleeve that also acts as a shield. This conductor is a controlled diameter with a controlled spacing to the outer conductor.

Component video cables are coax, in the old days there were 3 cable RCA bundles one white, one red and one yellow. Only the yellow one was assured to be coax. The other two were for audio. Three of the yellow ones will work fine for component video, all the electronic discounters will sell you RCA coax cables for cheap. The cheapest of these will outperform the best audio cable in a video application.

None of the above is my opinion, they are engineering facts. (And no, a 75 Ohm coax cable will not measure 75 Ohms with a Ohmmeter). If you want to understand this, look up transmission lines and transmission line theory. Read about impedance matching, terminations and reflections

Smokey
02-06-2008, 10:26 PM
But to go and pick up and RCA cable and think it's going to do what a component cable will is nonsense and frankly I'm surprised you went there Smokie.

I think cable labeling is causing more confusion here than anything else as RCA, Coax, Component, Digital cable labeling are exchangeable due to having RCA connector in its end.

As Hermanv wrote, any cable that is truly labeled 75 ohm have followed certain specification as to regard to its geometry (spacing between its conductors a.k.a thickness) and if it is quality build, it should have enough bandwidth to handle component signal.

This is IMPORTANT, non-coax cables used for video will cause reflections , the end result is a picture with ghosts in the worst case, blurring or ringing in the case of shorter cable lengths.

Also it might be worth mentioning that if cable don't have enough bandwidth to carry component signal, there will be loss of picture resolution :)

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 01:03 AM
OK. There are audio RCA cables, these are usually not a controlled impedance and work just fine with the traditional audio equipment input impedance of 47K Ohms or so. There are also video cables generically known as coax cables, these are 75 Ohm controlled impedance. This is IMPORTANT, non-coax cables used for video will cause reflections , the end result is a picture with ghosts in the worst case, blurring or ringing in the case of shorter cable lengths. In any event a picture that is not as good as it could be.

Where exotic audio cables are often multiple conductors, coax cables have a single conductor kept carefully centered in an outer conductive sleeve that also acts as a shield. This conductor is a controlled diameter with a controlled spacing to the outer conductor.

Component video cables are coax, in the old days there were 3 cable RCA bundles one white, one red and one yellow. Only the yellow one was assured to be coax. The other two were for audio. Three of the yellow ones will work fine for component video, all the electronic discounters will sell you RCA coax cables for cheap. The cheapest of these will outperform the best audio cable in a video application.

None of the above is my opinion, they are engineering facts. (And no, a 75 Ohm coax cable will not measure 75 Ohms with a Ohmmeter). If you want to understand this, look up transmission lines and transmission line theory. Read about impedance matching, terminations and reflections

You're finessing this way too much for the subject at hand.
I have used audio cables as componet in a pinch on several occasions and they work fine,
and we're talking about 480p, period, no upconverter I have seen uses componet for the HD signal.
MOST RCA CABLES are 75 ohm ANYWAY, its easier to make every cable 75 ohm,
you dont save anything making them anything else, and the opinion on the importance of 75 ohms varies also.
BASICALLY any decent cable that is built to handle audio will handle the color information assigned to it by a dvd player, thats a FACT.
And all of this is moot anyway as this connection is being phased out.
the most important thing is that this poster has a "new set" with no HDMI, which is a superiour way of loking at hi-scan signals:1:

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 01:09 AM
BTW I have used just about every cable in existence , some permanent, some
temp rigs until I COULD DO PERMANENT,
and I have NEVER seen ghosting on a DVD player...EVER.
As for the classic three cables (yellow, red, white) I assure you the only difference between them was the color plastic used on them, usually they are all molded together.
You think they will take the time with these cheap cables to make sure one os 75 ohm and the others arent?:1:

hermanv
02-07-2008, 08:11 AM
You're finessing this way too much for the subject at hand.
I have used audio cables as componet in a pinch on several occasions and they work fine,
and we're talking about 480p, period, no upconverter I have seen uses componet for the HD signal.
MOST RCA CABLES are 75 ohm ANYWAY, its easier to make every cable 75 ohm,
you dont save anything making them anything else, and the opinion on the importance of 75 ohms varies also.
BASICALLY any decent cable that is built to handle audio will handle the color information assigned to it by a dvd player, thats a FACT.
And all of this is moot anyway as this connection is being phased out.
the most important thing is that this poster has a "new set" with no HDMI, which is a superiour way of loking at hi-scan signals:1:Almost none of this is true.
1. Even 480p has a bandwidth of 5 MHz, audio cables are near useless for that application.
2. No, all cables should not be 75 Ohms, the capacitance of a 75 Ohm cable is too high for many high Z vacuum tube stages.
3. Opinions on the importance of 75 Ohm cables do not vary, only the un-informed would make this up.
4. Decent audio cables do not automatically make decent video cables, it is not a fact and it is wrong to say so.

hermanv
02-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I think cable labeling is causing more confusion here than anything else as RCA, Coax, Component, Digital cable labeling are exchangeable due to having RCA connector in its end.<snip>Smokey, you are right a part of the problem is labeling and parts of that are caused by "marketing" geniuses trying to differentiate their product from competitors. In our society lying to accomplish this differentiation is OK. Most "digital" cables are in fact 75 Ohm coax (but not all).

Coax has the same propagation delay for all frequencies, this means that the edges of square waves (digital signals) are kept properly steep. A square wave is merely the sum of all odd harmonics of a sine wave, i.e. A perfect square wave will contain all frequencies stretching to GigaHertz. So if some frequencies propagate through a cable faster than others the square wave edge will either have stair steps in it or the rise time will be slowed down.

Sorry to pontificate, but there is a difference in discussing opinions about which cables sound best vs. a claim that all cables can handle all signals. Just try stuffing a microwave signal through an audio interconnect.

Mr Peabody
02-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the input Herman. I greatly appreciate it.

I'd like to point out for anyone who might read this thread in the future that Hermanv is an Electrical Engineer, I hope that wasn't supposed to be a secret, and Pix aside from consistently giving out wrong information on AR has supposedly had 3 years of Tech school. Obviously from his comments on the board and the fact the schooling didn't lead to anything for him, his 3 years was wasted.

Smokey
02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Smokey, you are right a part of the problem is labeling and parts of that are caused by "marketing" geniuses trying to differentiate their product from competitors. In our society lying to accomplish this differentiation is OK. Most "digital" cables are in fact 75 Ohm coax (but not all).

I also think part of problem also stem from fact that there is no distinction between audio and video/digital input&outputs as both use the same type of RCA connection. RCA connectors are not truly 75 ohm and it is there more for convenient than practicality.

They should have used true 75 ohm connectors such as BNC for digital and video applications as there would have been less confusion about which cable to use :)

http://www.baproducts.com/images/bnc-cabl.jpg

Mr Peabody
02-07-2008, 08:58 PM
I'd like to point out that component video is not digital, it is analog. They did attempt to differentiate digital video by using IEEE, DVI, and now HDMI.

Coaxial digital audio does use RCA.

Smokey
02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
I'd like to point out that component video is not digital.

That is true. The similarity between two are that both use 75 ohm connection.

hermanv
02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
I also think part of problem also stem from fact that there is no distinction between audio and video/digital input&outputs as both use the same type of RCA connection. RCA connectors are not truly 75 ohm and it is there more for convenient than practicality.

They should have used true 75 ohm connectors such as BNC for digital and video applications as there would have been less confusion about which cable to use :)
Once upon a time cables were cheap, BNC connectors are not and they require at least some skill to assemble. In today's world certainly the price of BNC connectors is lost in the very high cable prices. That's how we got here, I suppose digital multi-pin connectors will soon make the problem obsolete.

Really cheap BNC connectors didn't exist until CATV used them by the millions.

pixelthis
02-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Almost none of this is true.
1. Even 480p has a bandwidth of 5 MHz, audio cables are near useless for that application.
2. No, all cables should not be 75 Ohms, the capacitance of a 75 Ohm cable is too high for many high Z vacuum tube stages.
3. Opinions on the importance of 75 Ohm cables do not vary, only the un-informed would make this up.
4. Decent audio cables do not automatically make decent video cables, it is not a fact and it is wrong to say so.

480p has a 5mhz bandwidth, thats why you need three cables.
Any audio cable (and I am not talking about esoteric stuff) that has rca plugs will pass this signal. Never found one that wouldnt.
And I HAVE HEARD ARGUMENTS ENDLESSLY ON THE NEED FOR A CABLE TO BE 75 OHM, this I AM NOT "MAKING UP"
As for vacume tubes, I dont buy my gear from a 1934 Sears catalog so I am not concerned about this AT ALL.
AND DECENT AUDIO CABLES dont "automatically " make decent video cables,
indeed video cables sometimes dont make decent video cables.
But cheaper rca cables will work most all of the time, practically all are 75 ohm,
like I said its not cheaper to make them anything else and its easier to make them all the same.
Try this, go to wallfart anfd get some of those cheap yellow, red, white cables.
Sub em on your DVD player, see for yourself. Cost ya about 5 bucks:1:

pixelthis
02-08-2008, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the input Herman. I greatly appreciate it.

I'd like to point out for anyone who might read this thread in the future that Hermanv is an Electrical Engineer, I hope that wasn't supposed to be a secret, and Pix aside from consistently giving out wrong information on AR has supposedly had 3 years of Tech school. Obviously from his comments on the board and the fact the schooling didn't lead to anything for him, his 3 years was wasted.

I have wasted any time I have spent trying to talk to YOU.
As for putting a "microwave" signal through an audio cable who is talkiing about THAT?
aND ENGINEERS tend to be perfectionists , but in the real world signals arent really that delicate.
Hes talking about broadcast quality, I AM TALKING ABOUT PLUGING a cheap dvd player into a tv set.
LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY, IT WOULD TAKE A BROADCAST ENGINEER
to notice a difference, and he'd probably need a scope:1:

Mr Peabody
02-08-2008, 06:09 AM
PixelT, correcting your babble is a full time job I don't want to take. There's the truth, then there is your aimless babble. I posted a link as a source to support you are wrong and to try to inform you, we have had input from a professional in this area and yet another example of how you refuse to admit you are wrong and remain ignorant.

If your point is in using cheezy $5 red/white/yellow cables, intended for composite video, will you see a picture plugging them into component, of course you will. You aren't going to see a black screen. BUT you certainly aren't going to see the intended picture in the quality it should be. It's not just 480p to consider, this may be with a progressive scan DVD but a cable or satelite box is capable of 720p and 1080i. If some one is so cheap they need to use the wrong cable for the job they should have stuck with VHS and a F connector and just plug the cable into the back of the TV.

hermanv
02-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I have wasted any time I have spent trying to talk to YOU.
As for putting a "microwave" signal through an audio cable who is talkiing about THAT?
aND ENGINEERS tend to be perfectionists , but in the real world signals arent really that delicate.
Hes talking about broadcast quality, I AM TALKING ABOUT PLUGING a cheap dvd player into a tv set.
LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY, IT WOULD TAKE A BROADCAST ENGINEER
to notice a difference, and he'd probably need a scope:1:It's not so much that you are misinformed that's the problem, I am quite happy to let you live with the consequences of your own beliefs. It's that you insist on passing on wrong information to others.

The composite cable connections on modern HDTV are there to produce a picture that is as good as broadcast quality, you won't find the three cable scheme on any standard definition TV. It's that picture improvement that we paid for by buying an HDTV and an upconverting DVD, throwing it away for use of a wrong cable makes no sense.

Yes, an oscilloscope will easily show the problems with audio cables used for high bandwidth signals. Passing high bandwidth analog signals over an uncontrolled bandwidth cable is a recipe for bad results. The problems created by uncontrolled impedance cables are also quite easy to see on a TV screen. One of my job assignments was designing television circuits, I learned how to see the problems on the screen, the oscilloscope merely confirmed what I already knew by looking at the picture.

It's not that an audio cable will not pass 5 MHz, it's that it doesn't have a flat frequency response to 5 MHz when a coax cable does. Since coax is often cheaper than "good" audio cables advising people to use audio cables is just plain stoopid.

My apologies to the rest of the forum members, its that determined ignorance, the insistence on stupidity, that "you can't make me learn" attitude, that gets my goat.

pixelthis
02-09-2008, 10:29 PM
It's not so much that you are misinformed that's the problem, I am quite happy to let you live with the consequences of your own beliefs. It's that you insist on passing on wrong information to others.

The composite cable connections on modern HDTV are there to produce a picture that is as good as broadcast quality, you won't find the three cable scheme on any standard definition TV. It's that picture improvement that we paid for by buying an HDTV and an upconverting DVD, throwing it away for use of a wrong cable makes no sense.

Yes, an oscilloscope will easily show the problems with audio cables used for high bandwidth signals. Passing high bandwidth analog signals over an uncontrolled bandwidth cable is a recipe for bad results. The problems created by uncontrolled impedance cables are also quite easy to see on a TV screen. One of my job assignments was designing television circuits, I learned how to see the problems on the screen, the oscilloscope merely confirmed what I already knew by looking at the picture.

It's not that an audio cable will not pass 5 MHz, it's that it doesn't have a flat frequency response to 5 MHz when a coax cable does. Since coax is often cheaper than "good" audio cables advising people to use audio cables is just plain stoopid.

My apologies to the rest of the forum members, its that determined ignorance, the insistence on stupidity, that "you can't make me learn" attitude, that gets my goat.

You are not like any broadcast engineer I know of, in fact you are quite ignorant yourself.
Componet was not put out for HDTV, it predated HD, and on quite a few SD sets.
I had one of these, a Mitshu 65in RPTV.
IT looked like the box the UN building came in, but it had a great picture.
As for upconverting, that is a sham really, doesnt give you higher res, and NO upconverter
I have seen uses componet for the hi-scan picture, they only allow 480p through componet, you need HDMI for the fake 1080i pic.
I can't beleive a "broadcast" engineer doesnt know this.
As for componet being "cheaper" than audio cables, mayby some of the silver and other hi-line types, but most audio cables you buy in a store are constructed just like composite video cables. And if audio cables dont have a "flat" freq response, then
neither does most cables.
Truth is that most componet cables on the market are structually no different than a good set of 12 dollar audio cables, theres no reason they cant pass a SD tv signal, which is what we're talking about, since the only thing called upon for a componet out on a DVD player to pass is a 480p SD signal.
The fact that a "broadcast engineer" doesnt know about the long history of SD apps
for componet makes me doubt the veracity of your claims.
Where did you get your degree, might I ask? A box of crackerjack or devries
tech school?:1:

Mr Peabody
02-10-2008, 05:16 AM
I went back and read the original post and no where did it mention he was "only" going to use DVD. You need component to view 480P to 1080i. The question was really simple and just asked if any RCA can be used as component in which the question is NO if you want to view the intended and proper content.

audio amateur
02-10-2008, 06:33 AM
So what kind of job can normal RCA/phono cables do? Can component not do 1080p?
Do you have some pics of your setup Peabody?

Mr Peabody
02-10-2008, 11:33 AM
For what cable can do find the link I posted on this thread earlier. As I understand it component will not pass 1080p you will need HDMI for 1080p. If you find otherwise I'd appreciate the link.

I do not have pix. I don't have a digital camera and probably wouldn't know how to get them on here if I did. Computer is not my strong point. But if you any doubts at least one member here has been to my house and seen my gear. Also read my feedback on Audiogon you will see I recently sold a Krell CD player and before that my Arcam 3 channel amp whose place my LINN took.

audio amateur
02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Don't worry i'm not doubting your gear possessions, I value you're advise and knowledge on the contrary. It wouldn't been nice to see all that gear, that's all:)

Mr Peabody
02-10-2008, 03:28 PM
My daughter is supposed to be getting a digital camera eventually and I will try to put something together. If I did get some pix where would they go here, do you know?

My system is on the narrow end of the room so my set up is.... ah...interesting. I bought a huge entertainment center that was made for the old school big screens. It has a tower on the left and right with a bridge across the top of the TV to make it look built in. Well after selling my Pioneer RPTV my 62" didn't fit so the bridge came out and spread the towers apart further. I didn't want my mains against the wall so the towers went to the outside with my TV in the middle and room enough for each main speaker to go between the tower and TV. I pulled them forward some to try to minimize odd reflections from things being so close. Behind the bottom door of the left tower are the 2 MV60's. Needless to say the door stays open when they are on. Behind the top see through door bottom to top is a Panasonic VCR which I can't remember the last time it was on, I probably should fire it up to keep things loose, shelf above is the CJ preamp, then the EAD transport, the AN DAC is on the top. In the bottom of the right tower is just my LINN, being a class V switching amp I never see it. I also have some spare tubes, manuals and a backgammon game up there:) Behing the top door again bottom to top, I have the phono pre with my processor on top of it, the phono pre is thick metal with no vents, above that on the next shelf is my BR player, and above that is my turntable. The TV has a stand it sits on and my center is below the TV. Unfortunately, my sub is along the side wall toward the front of the room but I was afraid what the vibrations would do back behind everything and space is also an issue. I probably would have gone with out it but as good as the Dyn's are I doubt if they would shake the house on movie soundtracks like this Velodyne. I mean it just seems to be designed to quake things. I know this isn't as good as a pic but maybe some day.

Sorry for being so defensive.

Mr Peabody
02-10-2008, 03:30 PM
I forgot also under the TV on a separate shelf than the center is the satelite receiver and a Sony DVD recorder. Behind everything is an incredible mesh of cables and on the floor somewhere is the PS Audio piece.

pixelthis
02-11-2008, 03:10 AM
There is no technical reason that componet can't pass 1080p, but it appears that
the industry is going HDMI, which is digital, and componet is being phased out.
So you will need HDMI for 1080p.
1080P through a componet is a unicorn, no tech reason it cant exist, but nobody does it:1:

Mr Peabody
02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Pix, you got one right, I marked it on my calendar. True, technically component cables are capable of passing 1080p but the movie companies will not allow it due to copy protection they insist on. Can we say, HDCP?

pixelthis
02-13-2008, 01:48 AM
Pix, you got one right, I marked it on my calendar. True, technically component cables are capable of passing 1080p but the movie companies will not allow it due to copy protection they insist on. Can we say, HDCP?

I get most ALL of them "right", thats just the first one you understood.
Maybe you'll understand more when you get out of 11th grade science class:1:

audio amateur
02-13-2008, 03:49 AM
Nice description Pea, I wasn't asking for all that but thanks:)
To upload pictures, clic on the paperclip icon that's for attachements, and then browse your computer to find the pictures. Get help from your sister to do that haha. The problem is, there is a size limit as well as resolution limit for pictures, so it can be complicated if your pictures exceed these limites