Speaker suggestion for under $3K [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker suggestion for under $3K

grubby
02-01-2008, 09:10 AM
My wife and I are building a new house and I have been given the go ahead for the Home Entertainment room. The room is 18'x20' with 9' high walls. We are a family of 5 and my wife is a music teacher. The system will be used for approximately 50% movies and 50% music. Our music preferences are jazz, classical, and contemporary christian. I would like to stay under $3000 for the speakers and I have basically narrowed the A/V Receiver down to the Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon AVR-3808, or the Onkyo TX-SR875. I would like a 5.1 speaker system and if applicable will probably drive the mains with two channels. We live in south central Nebraska so good audio stores are no where to be found (closest in Omaha [4 hours away]). So I really don't have the luxury of listening to the speakers or comparing them. I am asking for any ones input as to the pros and cons of these systems:

1) Aperion Initmus 633 Concert system

2) Mirage OMD-15 system

3) Axiom Epic 60.500

4) Paradigm Monitor 9 system

5) PSB Image Perfomance system

If anyone has other suggestions I would appreciate them also.
Thanks

johnny p
02-01-2008, 11:25 AM
unfortunately I can't give you any on-hand experience with those, but I can tell you my current set-up would fit your budget more or less, and I'm VERY happy with the purchase, as I'm enjoying music again for the first time in awhile.

My Mains are b&w 705
Center HTM7
and I used the b&w 686's for my surrounds. I had an existing Sub, so you could get suggestions from others on that (I'm replacing mine, and I'm currently looking at my options)

For a book-shelf style speaker the 705s are GREAT, a lot of power and articulate bass, and because of the design, the isolated tweeter really gives some crisp treble too.

here's a couple of links, one is their website, the other is just showing prices (since the b&w website doesn't list any, but it has a dealer locator) The prices DID go up, but you can usually get a shop to give you 10-15% off, especially if you buy everything from them in a package, I'd just call and let them know. I got the 700's in the Rosenut finish, so they don't only sound amazing, they're a really asthetically pleasing speaker also, and this was a big selling point for my wife.

I can say I highly doubt you'd be disappointed in these.

I sprung for the stands for the Mains ($350 for a pair, but they are REALLY heavy, and come with hardware to secure the speakers to them, which was a necessity for my growing family)

Some people don't even use rear surround speakers, so if you got the 700 Fronts/Center, and purchased cheaper surrounds, I think you'll still be very happy, as the Center, and then the Fronts are the most critical part of a 5.1

The Floorstander 700's would blow right through your budget, but the 705's are a steal for what you get in my opinion. Once you see the B&Ws in person, and see the quality that is built into them, it's hard to resist.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/

http://www.hometheaterstore.com/B_W_705_2_way_vented_box_system_p/705.htm

basite
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Monitor Audio GS20's or GS60's.

powerful sounding, very high WAF factor, very wide, open sound, amazingly fast & detailed.

If I didn't find my Thiels, I'd get a pair of GS60's.

speaking of thiel: their 1.6 or maybe the 2.4 will fit your budget. the 2.4 is waaaaay better than the Monitor audio though. The 1.6 could use a subwoofer.

blackraven
02-01-2008, 12:07 PM
If you can find B&W's in omaha then get the 685's for the front, 686's for the rear and a B&W center. Then a Mirage S10 sub and any one of those receivers.

NHT's are great, NHT classic 3's for front, NHT super zero's for rear and an NHT center. These are available mail order. Check out www.stereophile.com under budget components and look at their NHT speaker reviews.

Build your own Paradigm system with the Atoms as your rear speakers. Paradigm's speakers and center channels are excellent.

You can custom build a system that will sound better than the one's you listed. Most of the ready made systems age geared more for HT sound than music.

GMichael
02-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Sorry, no personal time spent with those model. Here are a few other options for you though. This company will let you return anything in 30 days that you don't want for any reason.

For 2 channel music these are incredible. A very refined sound http://av123.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=37

For louder or more dynamic sound, try these. http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=23&category_id=19&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

They have others to choose from also http://av123.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=125&vmcchk=1&Itemid=37

The build quality on all of them is fantastic. Like fine works of art in your home.
The sound is better than could be expected for the prices paid.
I am driving the Strata Mini's with a Yamaha RX-V2500. It's plenty of power for them.

Yes Top. I am a fanboy. But then again, why wouldn't I be?

Ajani
02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Monitor Audio GS20's or GS60's.

powerful sounding, very high WAF factor, very wide, open sound, amazingly fast & detailed.

If I didn't find my Thiels, I'd get a pair of GS60's.

speaking of thiel: their 1.6 or maybe the 2.4 will fit your budget. the 2.4 is waaaaay better than the Monitor audio though. The 1.6 could use a subwoofer.

That's what I'm talking about!!! LOL

Seriously though, I love the GS20's.... I've never heard Thiel though, but if you liked the GS20 but prefered the Thiel, then they are probably worth auditioning....

BTW, he would have to go with the Monitor Audio Silver series.... since his budget is $3K for the entire setup and the GS20's alone are $3K.....

basite
02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
That's what I'm talking about!!! LOL

Seriously though, I love the GS20's.... I've never heard Thiel though, but if you liked the GS20 but prefered the Thiel, then they are probably worth auditioning....

BTW, he would have to go with the Monitor Audio Silver series.... since his budget is $3K for the entire setup and the GS20's alone are $3K.....

I liked the GS60 and still preferred the thiels, they're in a different league IMO...

Monitor audio makes exellent speakers though, their silver series are supposed to perform wonders in their price range, not too costly too...

RS6's on front, a center, and RS1's at the back (I think...), should be around 3k, maybe slightly less...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

RoadRunner6
02-01-2008, 03:52 PM
I personally own axiom speakers and think they are a great value for the money. The QS surrounds are worth the price of admission themselves. The M60's and M80's are superb values.

I think you are putting too much of your budget into the receiver versus the speakers. Go with the Yamaha 1800 and move up to the Axiom 80/500. The difference in the two receiver's power output is not audible. If there are features in the Yamaha 3800 you can't live without then fine. Put your money where it makes a sound difference and that is in the speakers.

Another idea which I suggest even more is to stay with the 60/500 and go with two subs. One near the front wall and one near the rear wall. If two of the Axiom 500's are too expensive then look to HSU, SVS or Outlaw Audio for subs in my opinion that are just as good and cheaper than the Axiom subs.

Most importantly, research and understand how best to place the speakers in your room. I sent a diagram and photos to Axiom and also talked to them on the phone. They gave me specific advice by mail and also on the phone as where to place my speakers. They are all very knowlegeble experts in the audio field and extremely helpful. They have great articles and tutorials on their website. Good luck.

RR6.

O'Shag
02-02-2008, 07:53 PM
I liked the GS60 and still preferred the thiels, they're in a different league IMO...

Monitor audio makes exellent speakers though, their silver series are supposed to perform wonders in their price range, not too costly too...

RS6's on front, a center, and RS1's at the back (I think...), should be around 3k, maybe slightly less...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I am very familiar with Thiels, having several friends in the vicinity who have different models in their systems. I think for the money (4k), the Monitor Audio GR60, overall, is BETTER than the Thiels at or anywhere close to a similar price range i.e. 4K. I don't know of any other speaker for 4k that offers magnesium ceramic drivers. The GR60 is extraordinarily fast, coherent, dynamic, transparent, open and very clear. It almost sounds like an electrostat. The GR60 will not reach its potential unless it is tri-wired or ultimately, tri-amped. In fact, there is vey significant difference in performance between regular single stereo amp operation and biamping. But the magic really happens with triamping. All residual grain is banished. The sense of speed remains, but there is less strain and more control. Imaging is vastly improved, and the soundscape gains both in width and depth, especially depth. Images become more defined. Bass definition improves significantly. Seperation of instruments is improved and this s clearly a result of less compression.

Given their price,these speakers sound exceptionally good - triamped. The GR60, the previous flagship, was handmade in England. The new flagship, the GS60, is mass-manufactured in China.

If you find a used pair of GR60s on Audiogon for about 2k or thereabouts, you'll have one helluva speaker...

Ajani
02-02-2008, 08:49 PM
I am very familiar with Thiels, having several friends in the vicinity who have different models in their systems. I think for the money (4k), the Monitor Audio GR60, overall, is BETTER than the Thiels at or anywhere close to a similar price range i.e. 4K. I don't know of any other speaker for 4k that offers magnesium ceramic drivers. The GR60 is extraordinarily fast, coherent, dynamic, transparent, open and very clear. It almost sounds like an electrostat. The GR60 will not reach its potential unless it is tri-wired or ultimately, tri-amped. In fact, there is vey significant difference in performance between regular single stereo amp operation and biamping. But the magic really happens with triamping. All residual grain is banished. The sense of speed remains, but there is less strain and more control. Imaging is vastly improved, and the soundscape gains both in width and depth, especially depth. Images become more defined. Bass definition improves significantly. Seperation of instruments is improved and this s clearly a result of less compression.

Given their price,these speakers sound exceptionally good - triamped. The GR60, the previous flagship, was handmade in England. The new flagship, the GS60, is mass-manufactured in China.

If you find a used pair of GR60s on Audiogon for about 2k or thereabouts, you'll have one helluva speaker...

I read a review of the GS60s that described them as sounding like Electrostats... I've also directly compared the GS20s with Final Sound Electostrats and found the two to be very similar... the GS20s were better than the Final Sound though...

O'Shag
02-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Ajani, the Gold Reference and Gold Signature are one hell of a speaker (the new Platinum Signature is supposed to sound awesome). The GR60 is not the best speaker I own, which is honestly in a whole different league, but I've just been so impressed with the GR60 given its over-acheiving performance for its price, I've held on to it.

basite
02-03-2008, 04:45 AM

I liked the Thiels better (the CS2.3's), tastes differ...
I liked their depth, and their wide soundstage, and their superb imaging (holographic, really), and their fantastic detail...

I do agree that the monitor audio's (I heard the GS60, GS20 and GS10's) were darn fast :)
have you heard their new flagship yet? The platinum range, exellent speakers, they certainly know what they're doing there at Monitor Audio... :thumbsup:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

O'Shag
02-04-2008, 02:34 PM
No offence, but I find the Thiel CS2.3 too bright and tinny sounding for my taste,and honestly think the GR60 has truer tone and is more transparent. Also, even though the 2.3 is brighter sounding, the GR60 IMO sounds more alive; faster, dynamic, coherent - and is not thin sounding as I've found the CS2.3 to be on occasion - the performance gap is more pronounced when the GR60 is Triamped, I feel -.

The GR60 doesn't touch my reference, KEF Reference 109, The Maidstone, in performance, but it is a speaker with an awful lotta heart for the price. Fit n' finish are not outstanding either, but its all about those great C-CAM drivers..

Bert, I've not yet heard the new Platinums. but I'm sure they're good.

meltdown
02-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Blackraven, I think hits the nail on the head. Can't go wrong with either the B&W's or Paradigm. I once had the monitor 9's they dipped a bit lower then the 12's. They actually sounded quite well. The 12's are now around 1200, the 9's around 800. B&W are great speakers. Almost picked up a set of the 704's. At that time they were 2500 I believe. With tax that would put you over. They were very crisp and clear. Something about that tweeter on top.Dont have any Monitor Audio's around here to judge. B&W or Paradigm have always been good to me. Also, I believe that I would opt for the Onkyo or Integra for affordabe and quality home entertainment recievers Just another word about speakers, B&W 602's, cant go wrong here either for the price.

basite
02-24-2008, 01:39 AM
No offence, but I find the Thiel CS2.3 too bright and tinny sounding for my taste,and honestly think the GR60 has truer tone and is more transparent. Also, even though the 2.3 is brighter sounding, the GR60 IMO sounds more alive; faster, dynamic, coherent - and is not thin sounding as I've found the CS2.3 to be on occasion - the performance gap is more pronounced when the GR60 is Triamped, I feel -.

what was driving the Thiels and were they broken in? 'thin' is the last thing I would use to describe the sound of my setup...

I agree that there are warmer sounding speakers, but the Thiels definately aren't overly bright sounding. Especially when coupled to something like a Mcintosh, it gives exellent results...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Hyfi
02-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Dynaudio Audience 82s may give you the best bang for the buck if you have the power to open them up.