One Remote [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : One Remote

captjamo
02-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Is anyone enjoying using one remote to control, say, their cable HD DVR box, PS3(BD function), and their receiver?:cornut:

Ajani
02-01-2008, 05:41 AM
I used to use a Logitech Harmony for a similar purpose... Preamp, CD player, Mac Mini, TV & HD Cable box

Groundbeef
02-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Is anyone enjoying using one remote to control, say, their cable HD DVR box, PS3(BD function), and their receiver?:cornut:

Cough, Cough....dirty little secret here...the PS3 uses Bluetooth instead of IR. So there are no universal remotes that work with it (currently). You need to buy the "special" bluetooth remote from Sony.

I do however use my Logitech Universal to control my xbox 360, A/V, and all the rest. It works great!

L.J.
02-01-2008, 07:31 AM
I use the Harmony 880. Works great.

I have a PS3 and I really don't mind the 2nd remote. I do alot of music streaming and the remote(bluetooth) allows me to change tracks from different rooms in the house. When watching a BR movie, I hit play once and that's it....I really don't see what the big deal is. I guess these xbox users have very delicate fingers or something :ihih:

Groundbeef
02-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I use the Harmony 880. Works great.

I have a PS3 and I really don't mind the 2nd remote. I do alot of music streaming and the remote(bluetooth) allows me to change tracks from different rooms in the house. When watching a BR movie, I hit play once and that's it....I really don't see what the big deal is. I guess these xbox users have very delicate fingers or something :ihih:

In its respective place in the world, its probably not the biggest deal in the world.

For an A/V piece of equipement it just smacks of "nickel and diming" the customer. I'd rather not go into a huge diatribe against the PS3, (I've considered one myself actually), but there are some minor points I felt was poor marketing on Sony's part.

1. Why market the PS3 as a HD video/gaming console and then cheapen the experience by only supplying SD cables as a default? Would it really have killed Sony to include at a minimum component cables? Why make the customer have to jump through another hoop. I mean you can get HDMI for $10-15 (retail) so it's not like it would have broke the bank.

2. Same with the remote. Why not use the standard for almost every other piece of A/V equipement? As stated on many other threads, at the time (and still now) the PS3 is a great BR player. Many enthusiests (sp?) purchased the PS3 JUST for the BR playback. I would hazard a guess that most of them already own some sort of universal remote. And now their super-duper BR player isn't going to play nice. Again, another minor expense for the "Sony" remote.

Anyway thats my gripe. Why must they (Sony) go off the reservation, and use a non-standard tech for a machine they showcase?

johnny p
02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I believe there are IR devices that can be attached to the PS3 via one of the USB ports, and a learnable remote can easily be programmed to control it, all but the power-off function of course, which is the button on the back, but you still have to get up and put in movies manually...... as soon as there is a solution to that, let me know!

nightflier
02-01-2008, 11:12 AM
I've tried a ton of remotes over the years, but there is no substitute at a reasonable price for Logitech's Harmony series of remotes. Every other company is now trying to offer the same features that Logitech pioneered - IMO, stick with the guys who started it. If you want to read some decent reviews, check out: http://www.remotecentral.com/.

Bluetooth for Blu-Ray has a ring to it; maybe that's why they did it. Yes, it ranks up there with some of their most asinine marketing decisions. Sony, BTW sucks at designing user-friendly universal remotes.

nightflier
02-01-2008, 11:13 AM
I believe there are IR devices that can be attached to the PS3 via one of the USB ports, and a learnable remote can easily be programmed to control it, all but the power-off function of course, which is the button on the back, but you still have to get up and put in movies manually...... as soon as there is a solution to that, let me know!

Downloads?

Rich-n-Texas
02-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Harmony 880 here. Worth its weight in gold IMO.

Groundbeef
02-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Harmony 880 here. Worth its weight in gold IMO.

I have the 550? I think thats the model. There are 2 actually, and I have both. 1 has special buttons for the 360, and I use it in the basement. The 2nd is upstairs where I don't have the 360.

Both work flawless with Tivo, reciever, tv, the whole ball of wax.

L.J.
02-01-2008, 12:53 PM
In its respective place in the world, its probably not the biggest deal in the world.

This is exactly how I view it. Just not a big deal to me.

diggity
02-02-2008, 12:12 AM
i own both harmony 880 and 1000. both extremely good remotes but prefer 880 as it feels more like a remote. i only have thrre gripes.

1: already mentioned the fact it doesent talk to PS3.
2: i have my laptop hooked up to tv in the same room as XBOX 360 and every time it turns on the XBOX it also turns on the laptop.
3: the 880's charging stand is quite unreliable, i have already gone through two, and my mate has gone through three! the problem being the connectors, they don't make contact with remote good enough. i rang up logitech australia too see if it was doing something wrong and they told me it was a known fault and were trying to rectify it. new one has lasted three months and no problems so far (touching wood)

so there are my two cents worth. when mine is going it is the best thing since sliced bread and wont have another brand

cheers: dazza

captjamo
02-02-2008, 03:33 AM
Really enjoying the forum now. Thanks for all the comments. Looks like Harmony 880 is the best one remote option. But I'll be sticking with the PS3 game remote (2nd). I agree with the not a big deal comment as well.

bfalls
02-02-2008, 08:56 AM

For an A/V piece of equipement it just smacks of "nickel and diming" the customer. I'd rather not go into a huge diatribe against the PS3, (I've considered one myself actually), but there are some minor points I felt was poor marketing on Sony's part.

1. Why market the PS3 as a HD video/gaming console and then cheapen the experience by only supplying SD cables as a default? Would it really have killed Sony to include at a minimum component cables? Why make the customer have to jump through another hoop. I mean you can get HDMI for $10-15 (retail) so it's not like it would have broke the bank.

2. Same with the remote. Why not use the standard for almost every other piece of A/V equipement? As stated on many other threads, at the time (and still now) the PS3 is a great BR player. Many enthusiests (sp?) purchased the PS3 JUST for the BR playback. I would hazard a guess that most of them already own some sort of universal remote. And now their super-duper BR player isn't going to play nice. Again, another minor expense for the "Sony" remote.

Anyway thats my gripe. Why must they (Sony) go off the reservation, and use a non-standard tech for a machine they showcase?

I can't agree. Although it may be marketed as "HD video/gaming console" When it was introduced most households didin't have a an HD capable TV. Why provide an item, at an extra cost when they're already losing money on the system, when it wouldn't be used. High-end amps and preamps have balanced inputs, but the manufacturer doesn't provide XLR cables. The PS3 console could still be used without component or HDMI connections.

I don't have a problem with the remote being bluetooth. What I have a problem with is every time I even touch the remote and happen to push any button, the unit powers on. I know the keystrokes to turn it off, but it doesn't always work. Then I have to which the tv to the PS3 input to see whats happening, or turn it off at the power switch. I like the bluetooth controllers. They operate much better than an infrared controller would. The PS3 is already fully loaded. I'm sure having both infrared and bluetooth wasn't economically feasible. It's not that difficult to understand their reasoning.

Groundbeef
02-02-2008, 10:03 AM
I can't agree. Although it may be marketed as "HD video/gaming console" When it was introduced most households didin't have a an HD capable TV. Why provide an item, at an extra cost when they're already losing money on the system, when it wouldn't be used. High-end amps and preamps have balanced inputs, but the manufacturer doesn't provide XLR cables. The PS3 console could still be used without component or HDMI connections.

I appreciate your disagreement, but it's built on shaky ground.

1. When the PS3 (in November 2006 BTW) was released, it was with much pomp and circumstance, A major compenent of their promotional activity was the PS3 was the only console that offered "True HD". At that time, sales of HDTV were really taking off, and continue to grow.

Also, bear in mind that the XBOX 360 was release a full 13 months EARLIER (Oct 2005) and it INCLUDED HD component cables AND composite connections.

Lastly, when the PS3 was released it was the MOST expensive console ever released. Ever. List prices were $499, and $599. Neither included HD cables, but marketed heavily on the "True HD" benefit of the PS3, and the included BR playback (incidently BR for highest resolution and sound requires HDMI).

Again, its Sony nickel and diming consumers. Why flog the HD horse, if your not going to include cables that support even the most basic levels of HD? The 360 did, and it was a full$200 cheaper, and didn't even included a mechanism for HD movies. Don't be foolish. If your going to sell a BMW, don't make people purchase a rear-view mirror. Sure, you could get along without it, but it doesn't make any sense.

2. Why make it harder for consumers to use equipment they already have? Would it have been so hard to make an IR compatible remote control? Please explain the benefit of Bluetooth vs IR. I realize it may not be a thorn in everyone's side, but what is the benefit of it? Other than for SONY to charge and get a little more of the consumers money.

pixelthis
02-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I appreciate your disagreement, but it's built on shaky ground.

1. When the PS3 (in November 2006 BTW) was released, it was with much pomp and circumstance, A major compenent of their promotional activity was the PS3 was the only console that offered "True HD". At that time, sales of HDTV were really taking off, and continue to grow.

Also, bear in mind that the XBOX 360 was release a full 13 months EARLIER (Oct 2005) and it INCLUDED HD component cables AND composite connections.

Lastly, when the PS3 was released it was the MOST expensive console ever released. Ever. List prices were $499, and $599. Neither included HD cables, but marketed heavily on the "True HD" benefit of the PS3, and the included BR playback (incidently BR for highest resolution and sound requires HDMI).

Again, its Sony nickel and diming consumers. Why flog the HD horse, if your not going to include cables that support even the most basic levels of HD? The 360 did, and it was a full$200 cheaper, and didn't even included a mechanism for HD movies. Don't be foolish. If your going to sell a BMW, don't make people purchase a rear-view mirror. Sure, you could get along without it, but it doesn't make any sense.

2. Why make it harder for consumers to use equipment they already have? Would it have been so hard to make an IR compatible remote control? Please explain the benefit of Bluetooth vs IR. I realize it may not be a thorn in everyone's side, but what is the benefit of it? Other than for SONY to charge and get a little more of the consumers money.

As usual groundbeef has gone past his expiration date.
Sony isnt "nickle and diming" consumers.
Puting cheap cables in gear is standard operating proceedure for the industry.
A red cable, a white, and a yellow, thats it.
I have had several dozen TVS, NONE have audio cables but all have audio inputs
and outputs.
Truth is your setup will determine what type cables you use.
You might be using a 20in daewoo or a 130in front projector.
As for bluetooth, not an expert, but it seems that some networking is made possible with this, and some placing the device out of sight.
You must be very young, I have opened up countless boxes, and theres those
yellow, white, red plastic cables everytime.
As for universal remotes, if you have one you have an integrated system, if you dont you have a bunch of "gear" plugged up that is a pain to corordinate:1:

Groundbeef
02-04-2008, 05:54 AM
Truth is your setup will determine what type cables you use.
You might be using a 20in daewoo or a 130in front projector.
As for bluetooth, not an expert, but it seems that some networking is made possible with this, and some placing the device out of sight.
You must be very young, I have opened up countless boxes, and theres those
yellow, white, red plastic cables everytime.

Not really young. You must just buy the inexpensive stuff. When I bought my XBOX 360, it included compenent cables AND composite.

When I bought my Pioneer Plasma, it included composite, AND a HDMI cable.

When I received my D10 HD Receiver from DirecTV it included Composite, HDMI, and component cables.

Stop doing your A/V shopping at Wal-Mart, and you might get some equipment that comes with appropriate cables.

So its not too much to expect Sony, when selling the worlds (at the time) most expensive console system billed as "True HD" to include something other than the least expensive SD cable on the market.

filecat13
02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
i own both harmony 880 and 1000. both extremely good remotes but prefer 880 as it feels more like a remote.

3: the 880's charging stand is quite unreliable,

so there are my two cents worth. when mine is going it is the best thing since sliced bread and wont have another brand

I've got both the 880 and 1000, too. So far the 880 has lasted quite well, though there is a bit of pi$$ing about with the cradle to get good contact. Every so often I use a rubber eraser on the contacts to get the damn thing to charge. I use it in the master bedroom to run a Sharp LCD TV, Samsung SIR-T451 OTA HD tuner, Zenith DVB-318 upsampling DVD player, and Panasonic SA-XR10 digital receiver. It handles it all quite nicely.

The 1000 is used in the main media room and controls a diverse line up of gear.

There are some new software updates and a firmware update for the 1000 here in the US. I understand they may not be ready for OZ yet.

diggity
02-10-2008, 11:41 PM
There are some new software updates and a firmware update for the 1000 here in the US. I understand they may not be ready for OZ yet.

doesn't really suprise me :rolleyes: better late than ever. so does the rubbing of eraser on the contacts really work?

pixelthis
02-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Not really young. You must just buy the inexpensive stuff. When I bought my XBOX 360, it included compenent cables AND composite.

When I bought my Pioneer Plasma, it included composite, AND a HDMI cable.

When I received my D10 HD Receiver from DirecTV it included Composite, HDMI, and component cables.

Stop doing your A/V shopping at Wal-Mart, and you might get some equipment that comes with appropriate cables.

So its not too much to expect Sony, when selling the worlds (at the time) most expensive console system billed as "True HD" to include something other than the least expensive SD cable on the market.

If they have a good deal at Walmart I WILL SNAP IT UP. Why waste money?
And I HAVE PURCHASED AN 800 DOLLAR LASERDISC FROM PIONEER,
and a 600 $ laserdisc from Sony when THat got stolen, and BOTH had cheap cables in
them.
An 1,000 HI-FI vhs (when they first came out) red, white, yellow.
A 750$ mitshu S-VHS (hardly low rent) red, white, yellow.
A 500$ Sony vhs with advanced editing features, red, white, yellow.
A 400$ Sony DVD recorder , red white yellow
And I COULD GO ON AND ON,
You will see what I am talking about when you're not so wet behind the ears, punk:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2008, 06:19 AM
I purchased a Magnavox Hi-Fi VCR when they first came out... it cost $600 something.

A thousand dollars???

I HATE burgers that are wet behind the ears.

Groundbeef
02-11-2008, 06:19 AM
If they have a good deal at Walmart I WILL SNAP IT UP. Why waste money?
And I HAVE PURCHASED AN 800 DOLLAR LASERDISC FROM PIONEER,
and a 600 $ laserdisc from Sony when THat got stolen, and BOTH had cheap cables in
them.
An 1,000 HI-FI vhs (when they first came out) red, white, yellow.
A 750$ mitshu S-VHS (hardly low rent) red, white, yellow.
A 500$ Sony vhs with advanced editing features, red, white, yellow.
A 400$ Sony DVD recorder , red white yellow
And I COULD GO ON AND ON,
You will see what I am talking about when you're not so wet behind the ears, punk:1:

Well seeing as all six products you mentioned as "high tech" only support up to "S" video, I would guess your not really proving anything. And just in case you didn't realize it, the Hi-Fi VHS was only a VHS that output audio in stereo. It did NOTHING to change the video, so a "yellow" cable was just fine. Sometimes you are such a tool, and you don't even realize it.

And to somehow suggest that your video prowess is best served by showcasing your VHS gear is not even worth commenting on.

Lets talk about current gear. And the the CURRENT gear that I have purchased has included cables for HD viewing.

Perhaps the quality merchandise you fill your A/V cabinet with doesn't but there is plenty of pieces that come with decent cables.

pixelthis
02-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Well seeing as all six products you mentioned as "high tech" only support up to "S" video, I would guess your not really proving anything. And just in case you didn't realize it, the Hi-Fi VHS was only a VHS that output audio in stereo. It did NOTHING to change the video, so a "yellow" cable was just fine. Sometimes you are such a tool, and you don't even realize it.

And to somehow suggest that your video prowess is best served by showcasing your VHS gear is not even worth commenting on.

Lets talk about current gear. And the the CURRENT gear that I have purchased has included cables for HD viewing.

Perhaps the quality merchandise you fill your A/V cabinet with doesn't but there is plenty of pieces that come with decent cables.

You should get the point better, since one is on top of your head.
I have had so much equipment over the years that it would take forever to list it, all has had the same yellow, red, white cables in the box.
AND PLEASE REMEMBER that the prices I quote for the gear I mentioned does not take inflation into account.
That 1,000 hifi vcr was about 3 grand in todays dollars, and the 20 to 20,000 hz audio out would have been better served than with a 3.00$ set of cables.
And if your "current " gear has more than the standard 3 cables good for you,
I guarentee you that you paid for it weather you needed it or not:1:

Groundbeef
02-13-2008, 07:31 AM
You should get the point better, since one is on top of your head.
I have had so much equipment over the years that it would take forever to list it, all has had the same yellow, red, white cables in the box.
And if your "current " gear has more than the standard 3 cables good for you,
I guarentee you that you paid for it weather you needed it or not:1:

Never doubted I did. So please explain to me how Sony, can sell a machine for $599 (initally), and only include the lowest resolution cables for their "TrueHD" machine.

And MS can sell their machine for $399 (initially), and include BOTH HD cables, and SD cables?

If I'm paying for them with the $399 machine, whats the problem with the $599 machine?

And it's "whether" if your talking choice. Weather if you're outside looking up.

Rich-n-Texas
02-13-2008, 07:38 AM
I loved the part about the pointy head. Your real name wouldn't happen to be Beldar would it beefy? :smilewinkgrin:

Groundbeef
02-13-2008, 07:45 AM
I loved the part about the pointy head. Your real name wouldn't happen to be Beldar would it beefy? :smilewinkgrin:

You've seen my picture posted by Bobsticks. And I think Pix made a funny.

filecat13
02-13-2008, 09:49 AM
doesn't really suprise me :rolleyes: better late than ever. so does the rubbing of eraser on the contacts really work?

Of course it could be the placebo effect, but it seems I have far less trouble getting the darn thing to connect after I've given it a good rubbing with a soft eraser. Over time it seems a slight patina builds up--I live near a major shipping port so lots of crud in the air--and I can't get the bugger to connect at all, so out comes the eraser, then some diligent rubbing on both the remote and the cradle, then I get a good connection again.

Since starting this practice, the remote has never gone dead from lack of charge. I do this once every five to seven months.

Rich-n-Texas
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I guess I'm fortunate in that I never have a problem getting good contact when I drop the remote into the cradle. IMO a more thorough way to clean the contacts is to use some rubbing alcohol (or other isopropyl based product) on a cotton swab and clean the contacts on both the cradle and the remote itself.

f0rge
02-13-2008, 12:18 PM
i have a harmony 880 too, and it's great, except people have been pushing and holding the buttons on it too hard and a few of them no longer "click" like they used to. it's a bit of a piss-off but the remote still works fine.

beef - i agree with all your points about the PS3, hell the xbox360 elite came with component cables AND an HDMI cable. i was pretty pissed when i opened that ps3 box myself.

pixelthis
02-14-2008, 02:19 AM
Of course it could be the placebo effect, but it seems I have far less trouble getting the darn thing to connect after I've given it a good rubbing with a soft eraser. Over time it seems a slight patina builds up--I live near a major shipping port so lots of crud in the air--and I can't get the bugger to connect at all, so out comes the eraser, then some diligent rubbing on both the remote and the cradle, then I get a good connection again.

Since starting this practice, the remote has never gone dead from lack of charge. I do this once every five to seven months.

Salt air is a big problem, corrodes EVERYTHING.
A friend ran a hotel in florida, near Daytona, the screws on his ford rangers dash RUSTED
And there were carwashes every block or so:1:

pixelthis
02-14-2008, 02:27 AM
Never doubted I did. So please explain to me how Sony, can sell a machine for $599 (initally), and only include the lowest resolution cables for their "TrueHD" machine.

And MS can sell their machine for $399 (initially), and include BOTH HD cables, and SD cables?

If I'm paying for them with the $399 machine, whats the problem with the $599 machine?

And it's "whether" if your talking choice. Weather if you're outside looking up.

Its all marketing.
Sony has been around longer, the red, white, yellow cables are really complementary.
They know that serious types will want a lot nicer cable than they can afford to put in the box, so they really don't make an effort, neither does most other companies.
Nicest cable I ever got was a DVI cable in my Samsung DVD player.
Really nicce, especially when you consider the player was 129 bucks:1:

pixelthis
02-14-2008, 02:28 AM
SO people liked the pointy head comment, wheres my pencil....

diggity
02-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Its all marketing.
Sony has been around longer, the red, white, yellow cables are really complementary.
They know that serious types will want a lot nicer cable than they can afford to put in the box, so they really don't make an effort, neither does most other companies.
Nicest cable I ever got was a DVI cable in my Samsung DVD player.
Really nicce, especially when you consider the player was 129 bucks:1:

hello peoples; i've already said this somewhere on this forum but i'll say it again. the only brand that will give you anything but just composite cables is samsung. they give you a hdmi cable with any machine that requires it. i suppose xbox 360 give you the component and hdmi because they use that scart connector looking thing. otherwise i doubt they would give you any good cables.

back to the remote issue. i dont mind using harmony as well as bluetooth remote for ps3. two is still better than the seven i used to use. i think the benefits of the ps3 far outways the cons of two remotes.

Luvin Da Blues
02-14-2008, 04:29 AM
hello peoples; i've already said this somewhere on this forum but i'll say it again. the only brand that will give you anything but just composite cables is samsung. they give you a hdmi cable with any machine that requires it.

....and of course the OPPOs which include a pretty decent HDMI cable also...

Groundbeef
02-14-2008, 05:58 AM
hello peoples; i've already said this somewhere on this forum but i'll say it again. the only brand that will give you anything but just composite cables is samsung. they give you a hdmi cable with any machine that requires it. i suppose xbox 360 give you the component and hdmi because they use that scart connector looking thing. otherwise i doubt they would give you any good cables.

back to the remote issue. i dont mind using harmony as well as bluetooth remote for ps3. two is still better than the seven i used to use. i think the benefits of the ps3 far outways the cons of two remotes.

The video/audio output is only wonky if you are using component. If you are using HDMI, its the same HDMI out as anything else.

As far as the remote goes, to each his own. If you don't mind 2 remotes, I'm cool with that. I would just prefer to use my single universal remote.

lawman
02-14-2008, 06:04 AM
H'lo All,

This is a good thread.

My girlfriend recently bought me a Harmony 880 which is absolutely fantastic. However when I was on the Logitech site I noticed that they've recently released the Harmony One. The only difference I can find is that it's a) a little smaller; b) black; and c) touch screen for 3 activities at a time.

I'm probably still within the return period for the 880. Anyone know whether it's worth it to trade in the 880 for the One? I'm very happy with the 880, specially after spending some time setting it up, but if the One is outstanding.....

Cheers,
Lawman

Yamaha HTR5560
Fluance SX-HTB+
Outlaw LFM1EX
Philips DVD622
Sony Bravia 32"
RCA 1200 Turntable
Scientific Atlantic HDDVR (Comcast standard issue)