Crossovers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crossovers

ndudley002
01-31-2008, 11:20 AM
If I use a 8 ohm crossover on a 4 ohm mid and high will it damage the speakers or the crossover, or will it work fine the spaekers will just not pull the normal watts.

bfalls
01-31-2008, 01:25 PM
If all that's affected are the "padding" resistors used to compensate for less than perfect impedance and power curves, you may be OK at reasonable levels. I would be more concerned the changes in impedance would change the overall frequency responce and xover points affecting sound quality. Xovers are usually designed around the parameters of specific drivers. Deviating from the initial design will more than likely result is poor sound quality an power handling.

GMichael
01-31-2008, 01:41 PM
I would be more concerned the changes in impedance would change the overall frequency responce and xover points affecting sound quality. Xovers are usually designed around the parameters of specific drivers. Deviating from the initial design will more than likely result is poor sound quality an power handling.

Bingo!

audio amateur
01-31-2008, 02:23 PM
forget about crossovers if you dont know what you're doing and use 1 or more full range drivers;) make sure you get right box dimensions

O'Shag
01-31-2008, 05:11 PM
forget about crossovers if you dont know what you're doing and use 1 or more full range drivers;) make sure you get right box dimensions

or you could consider an external electronic crossover and use biamping (Rane make a good electronic xover for a decent price). This would require a bit more investment in an additional stereo amp (if you don't already have one) and two additional pairs of interconnects (1 pair from preamp to xover, two pairs from xover to stereo amps). This active crossover approach means you can customize the crossover slopes and address any impedance inconsistencies. More importantly, sound quality will be optimized. :cornut:

audio amateur
02-01-2008, 04:27 AM
or you could consider an external electronic crossover and use biamping (Rane make a good electronic xover for a decent price). This would require a bit more investment in an additional stereo amp (if you don't already have one) and two additional pairs of interconnects (1 pair from preamp to xover, two pairs from xover to stereo amps). This active crossover approach means you can customize the crossover slopes and address any impedance inconsistencies. More importantly, sound quality will be optimized. :cornut:
I don't think the investment would be very wise;)