Speakers for iPod, which one of these? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speakers for iPod, which one of these?

domitidus
01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Hi guys,

I'm planning to buy an iPod classic 160 gb and wanna buy a new speaker to enjoy it . Right now i've an old SONY hifi system (100RMS) but i'm not satisfied with its performance. Right now i'm not sure which system shoud i buy: Altec Lansing iM7 or Harman SoundStick II -almost half price of iM7 - (these are the two good sets that available in my area right now). I have some questions and hope to hear from you guys: first for iM7..
1. Does Altec Lansing iM7 compatible with the iPod classic?
2. Is it loud enough to fill a 15 ft x 17 ft room ?

I dont care neither about the portability feature ,because i want to place the speakers on my desk, nor for the style or size. So, in term of performance and sound clarity, which system should i go for ?

markw
01-31-2008, 02:51 PM
the Altec is a charging station with little bitty built in speakers.

The HK is a speaker system. ...period.

which do you want?

Neither of them will "fill the room" with tremendous sound but my guess is that of the two, the HK would do a better job.

If money is an issue than style and you don't really care about a charging station, I'd be look at and listening to computer speakers. I use an $50 Altec VS2221 2.1 computer speaker system that's plain as vanilla ice cream in a paper bowl but does a great job of filling a medium sized (12 X 12) bedroom with reasonable levels of sound. Great with the laptop and the Sansas.

JSE
02-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I bought my wife some Klipsh iFi speakers. Great sound that blew away the Bose and other systems when I tried them out. The thing I really like about this system is that it's about as close as you will get to a "full range" sound. The sub is really impressive and the sats are very nice as well.

Klipsch stopped making them for a while but they appear to be back. I actually bought a refurbed system and it looked brand new.

JSE

filecat13
02-06-2008, 07:29 AM
You may find this information useful. JBL is of course a Harman brand.

http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/idesign-the-art-of-jbls-ipod-speakers/