What's your guess? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's your guess?

shokhead
01-31-2008, 07:00 AM
My Pioneer 79AVI stopped playing out the right speaker with SACD. Everything else{DVD-A,DVD,CD} works just fine but when i put a sacd in nothing out the right speaker.

basite
01-31-2008, 07:08 AM
they're all being played on the same player?

sounds like a decoding issue...

check all the options, maybe reset them to factory default (if there is a factory default button, use that), if that doesn't solve things, well, you've got a problem...

Good luck,
Bert.

noddin0ff
01-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Shokhead,

SACD is the only one of those formats that REQUIRES decoding on the DVD player. Do you run a digital connection to your receiver in addition to the analog connections? Could be the analog connection for the right speaker is loose but you only notice for SACD because all other formats go digital to your receiver for decoding.

Feanor
01-31-2008, 07:22 AM
My Pioneer 79AVI stopped playing out the right speaker with SACD. Everything else{DVD-A,DVD,CD} works just fine but when i put a sacd in nothing out the right speaker.

Is the 79AVI your receiver or your player? You can only get actual SACD sound from your player to your receiver using analog connections, so if you're talking about a coax or optical connection, then you're talking about a player problem, viz. the player isn't reading the SACD'S CD layer properly.

On the other hand if SACD is via analog connections -- while CD, DVD, DVD-A are via coax/optical -- then likely there is a problem with either the player's analog output or the receiver's analog input. Try using the player's analog output for CD and see if that works.

shokhead
01-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Its my DVD player and my DVD-A discs plays fine and my SACD discs doesn't play out the right speaker so it can't be the analog cable. I did reset to default and it still did it.

Try using the player's analog output for CD and see if that works.
Analogs works fine for everything but the right speaker for SACD disc.

noddin0ff
01-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Its my DVD player and my DVD-A discs plays fine and my SACD discs doesn't play out the right speaker so it can't be the analog cable. I did reset to default and it still did it.

Try using the player's analog output for CD and see if that works.
Analogs works fine for everything but the right speaker for SACD disc.

So you have no digital connection from the player to the receiver? Most players would default to sending the digital signal for DVD-A to the reciever, which would auto detect the signal. The exception being that no player on the planet sends SACD in any form than analog to the receiver.

I'd still do the dumb experiment and switch out your right analog with a new cable... I don't know for sure how SACD is laid down but I dont think there's any way that the information for the right channel would not be read. It's likely all one stream of digital info that is decoded into 5.1 channels. You can't not decode a channel.

Feanor
02-01-2008, 04:05 AM
So you have no digital connection from the player to the receiver? Most players would default to sending the digital signal for DVD-A to the reciever, which would auto detect the signal. The exception being that no player on the planet sends SACD in any form than analog to the receiver.

Doesn't DVD-A only go via analog for copy protection reasons? I don't have DVD-A's myself.

Actually some players will pass a DSD signals by way of HDMI to your receiver; (my Oppo 980H for one). Of course there are very few, if any, receivers today that are to decode a DSD signal.

noddin0ff
02-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Doesn't DVD-A only go via analog for copy protection reasons? I don't have DVD-A's myself.

Actually some players will pass a DSD signals by way of HDMI to your receiver; (my Oppo 980H for one). Of course there are very few, if any, receivers today that will able to decode a DSD signal.

My bad. You're right. DVD-A would have to go analog as well. And the whole HDMI is designed not to let you get at a decoded bitstream as well.

shokhead
02-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Let me clear this up, everything i play through the analogs work fine except a SACD disc, nothing out the right speaker. Dig connection has nothing to do with this.

Feanor
02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Let me clear this up, everything i play through the analogs work fine except a SACD disc, nothing out the right speaker. Dig connection has nothing to do with this.

The DSD decoding isn't working. In any case your player is pooched for SACD
playback.

shokhead
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I wonder what that would cost to fix? Hard to find free est. places anymore.

nightflier
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
That doesn't sound like an inexpensive repair. Have you contacted Pioneer?