Rokone Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rokone Speakers

Starson
01-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone
I have a set of Rokone Speakers (Roksan brand) and i've got a problem. that is, the left channel sounds a good half behind. i'm almost sure that the problem's with the speaker and the mid-base unit itself. the impedance reads about an ohm higher and as the unit gets warmer the sound quality deteriorates (both high and low frqs affected). my question is.. is there any sort of upgrades for Rokone? like one of those Scanspeak or Vifa units or any cross-over parts? any suggestions?

Thanks

bfalls
01-31-2008, 06:35 AM
I'm not sure what "a half behind" means. Are you certain the problem is with the speaker and not the amp/receiver? Have you switched them to see if the problem follows the speaker? Are you experiencing any distortion with the speaker/channel?

I don't think it's common for speaker (driver) characteristics to noticably change, except for complete failure. I suppose high current can cause resistors in the xover to change, but I believe any other xover failures (shorted cap, open inductor) would have a more dramatic presence. Do your speakers have EQ switches or adjustments used to adjust mid or high frequency response? Checking the switch position may solve the problem. Have you tried covering the tweeter or midrange driver with your hand to see if the driver is working. A blown tweeter in a 3-way system may only lose the upper freq. depending on how high the midrange driver is crossed over the change could be subtle. Just a few things to consider while troubleshooting.

Starson
01-31-2008, 10:57 PM
hehehe.. well, a good one-half behind.. the curtains or behind the right Ch or even my head itself! i don't know.. just a clumsy invention i guess:) thanx

yes, of course. i've switched them and it doesn't make one iota of difference. i've also dismantled and checked the parts. the xove's a simple L-RC design and there isn't any extra components on the signal path. both of the driver units work, not so well though (oh man?! i'm not that deaf!:) hmm.. so, you think it's not the driver. couldn't be the coil? funny thing's that it gets more noticable on higher volumes. could it be the sign of a faulty resistor? i'm pretty unbalanced now and i guess i'm gonna order 2 sets of tweeter/mid-base units. hopefully they have it in stock and it's not the xover's problem.

Thanks alot for the tips;

bubslewis
02-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Definitely sounds like a "balance" problem.

Starson
02-02-2008, 04:41 AM
Definitely sounds like a "balance" problem.
and it's a pity that neither the L1.5pre nor my brain have any balance knob installed onboard

Cheers;