Kenwood KS-H31 Speaker [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood KS-H31 Speaker

thekid
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I know Kenwood is not known as a speaker maker but these are on the local Craiglist for $40 and I am curious if anyone is familiar with them since a Google search turns up absolutely nothing-which in of itself probably an indication they are nothing special.

Mr Peabody
01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular model but I also don't know of any Kenwood speakers that amounted to anything. Unless you just needed a pair and didn't really care about sound, like for the garage or something, I'd forget them.

thekid
01-30-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular model but I also don't know of any Kenwood speakers that amounted to anything. Unless you just needed a pair and didn't really care about sound, like for the garage or something, I'd forget them.

That's my thoughts as well but I just wanted to make sure.
You see a lot of odd items on Craiglist and sometimes there is a bargain.

Mr Peabody
01-31-2008, 06:15 AM
If you see any Infinity Kappa or older RS series with the black woofers those were good speakers in their day. The only problem is no driver replacement is available, you'd have to have a shop re-cone them if there was any damage. And, of course, watch for the brands you know will be pretty good like Paradigm, B&W etc. I'd be surprised if you saw anything like Thiel or Dynaudio on Craig's list but if you do let me know. Some of the Acoustic Research are nice too. With the system you have now a good set of speakers is what you should be on the hunt for. I think you will be impressed when you hear your Infinity's with the M1. I wish you were in the Midwest, my brother has a pair of Kappa 7's in storage he'd probably sell reasonable. I bought them new from the factory way back when and had the woofers re-coned.

As money allows you should also look for a decent CD playback. The C1 & M1 are a very good foundation for a quality system. You'll realize a noticeable difference between a entry level CD player and one of some quality. You could even look for a DAC and just use the digital out of your existing CDP. With that and a good set of speakers you will have a very good system, a big step up from what you are used to. You will see when you hear those Basics fired up for the first time.