Cable recomendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cable recomendations

snodog
01-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I am in the process of picking out my first separate amp/processor setup and am curious what input you experts have on connection cables? Both speaker and whatever I need to go from the amp to the processor?? I have bought a few HDMI in the past from monoprice and they seem to be good quality for the price. Suggestions with links would be great..

Mr Peabody
01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Here's my choice: http://www.siltechcables.com/wawcs0115598/tn-mxt.html

The transfer of your signal from pre to power and power to speakers are very important, so don't skimp there.

snodog
01-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Mr Peabody, let me first say you are one of the most helpful people on this site. Which cable s do you use on that site and what should I be looking for? I didn't see any prices but they damn sure look expensive. I may have to budget myself as I am with the system. I try and go with the logic that I get the best MY money can get.
Am I looking for standard RCA multichannel? Sorry on account of my ignorance but I am used to optical cables..

Mr Peabody
01-31-2008, 04:39 PM
I use the New Yorker series (MXT Pro) but some of the other cities are cheaper. You might be able to get prices on www.spearitsound.com Also they have a bunch of Siltech they brought in special and selling it at a discount. The link to that is under the "used, specials & demo" link. Jack will also allow you an audition period with option to return if not happy. I found their sound about how the website describes them. Basite recently done a cable shoot out for his system and decided to go with Siltech as well, I think the same New Yorker.

You will need one RCA for each channel from preamp to power amp. And also a run of speaker connects from amp to each speaker.

Which separates are you getting?

snodog
01-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Based on a lot of positive reviews I will be getting the Emotiva LPA-1 amp along with a new model of processor when they are out this spring. It looks like most people are very happy with their purchases from this company. I really like multichannel sound and use a PS3 as well as Bluray movies so want to be sure I have something more modern for processing. I am going from a Marantz sr6200 5.1 receiver so I am hoping there will be an upgrade in sound.

Mr Peabody
01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
I've only recently become recently familiar with Emotiva, you'll have to let us know what you think. I'd be interested in seeing what new features they come out with.

Have you seen the new Marantz AV8003 and matching power amp? They debuted at CES 2008. The AV8003 has a lot of cool and most recent features and technology.

L.J.
01-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Are the new models of Emotiva gonna support HDMI?

snodog
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes they will support HDMI and be TrueHD compliant. It is something I want because I feel there will be more to HD audio as the technology catches on. At the same time I would still like to experience SACD which I have yet to do. Looking forward to experimenting with some new sounds and equipment.

O'Shag
01-31-2008, 06:55 PM
PS Audio have some very good cables at decent prices. I also like QED cables. For their price-point they offer excellent performance.

snodog
02-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Yes and starting only at $650 a pair for speaker cables....ouch

Mr Peabody
02-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Did you price the Paris or London? They will be cheaper but I can't say how much difference.

I've also had pretty good luck with Transparent. I think their entry level RCA's start around $75.00 or $80.00. I believe the last I checked the entry 4 meter speaker connects were around $200.00 give or take. When I first put a set of Transparent between my Krell integrated and speakers, way back when, I noticed an immediate improvement in bass response, tighter and better detail.

http://www.transparentcable.com/index2.html

Mr Peabody
02-01-2008, 05:49 PM
Also, I have not used any of their speaker or RCA product but Tributaries has a reputation as being a good value.

Mapleshade has their own cables that aren't priced too bad and they offer a return policy if not happy. Being a high quality recording company they may have a product worth looking into. I have no experience with them.

Don't tell anyone, I have Transparent speaker connects for my mains and center but my surrounds were such a run I just used some OFC wire of some type. I do need to get around to replacing that with something better. It will still have to be something off the spool because the run is over 25'.

snodog
02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Your secret is safe, I am positive your setup with the worst cables would beat up on mine any given day. I will check out those sites tonight. I have a bit longer run as well and will have to just upgrade my speaker cable and top it off with some nice spades rather than just the wire jammed into the terminal. Its amazing how some of these companies can make their cables look! Getting past that, are there any major specifics I want to look at? What I mean are specs for capacitance and such?

Mr Peabody
02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
If there is I don't know them. You want low capacitance, low impedance. I suspect even if there were standard specs it would be like any other component, it wouldn't mean much until you listened to them. All of the companies have their own story and theory behind what they do, like Siltech and the exotic metalergy and as you will read Transparent, who basically, well borrowed, to be polite their strategy, from MIT cables, the "antenna effect" and other impurities they protect us from. I am at a loss why certain cables sound different but it's been my experience they do and they can improve the performance of a system. I recommend buying the cables last though so you can try them with the actual gear you intend to use. Cables do seem to be system dependent. What cable may sound good on my system may not on some one else's.

snodog
02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Mr Peabody, what are the large connectors called balanced inputs?

Mr Peabody
02-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Those are XLR connectors. Some equipment have those for some of their ins & outs. It is growing in number but not many companies use fully balanced circuitry. BAT and Krell use them. Cambridge Audio is actually putting fully balanced outs on their upper series CD players. I'm not exactly sure off the top of my head what the pros or cons of XLR's are. I do know that fully balanced outs will give a 6dB higher signal and better for long runs.

snodog
02-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Though this was interesting. Would be fun to try and see how they work.

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/cables.htm

Mr Peabody
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM
That was an interesting article. A EE friend of mine done some building of cables and he determined once you buy the material, high quality, for the performance he wanted, it was just as cheap to buy a retail cable. I think he finally decided using Cardas but I forgot what series.

There's also debate on whether a solid single strand, multiple strands or a combination, whether to twist, how to wrap, how to insulate etc. Insulation is very important though and that adds to cost of material.

snodog
02-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Yes and I suppose if you mucked it up too bad you could increase chances of fire. That brings me to another question. Maybe I should post this one as I have recently been thinking of the amount of watts one can safely use in outlets? I have all 8ohm speakers and just ordered the Emotiva 7 channel amp. Until they come out with the processors I wanted to plug in my Marantz 6200 to the amp. I have two outlets which I have my tv, ps3 and the rest plugged into...I have surge protectors on both grounded as well but still...

Mr Peabody
02-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure on this one. I would think either your surge protector or breaker would switch off before any fire or damage.

You'll have to be sure and let us know how much improvement you notice with the Emotiva amp.