Anyone familiar with this brand? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with this brand?

johnny p
01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
It may be wildly popular, or hated, but I have no experience with it...... got a chance to listen to one, and it sounded pretty good, and it's asthetically pleasing enough for the wife to give the approval to finally dump my C.V.

http://www.buy.com/prod/kef-psw2500-dark-apple-10-inch-250-watt-powered-subwoofer/q/loc/111/204049563.html

I'm not planning on ordering it online, but I was just looking it up for a picture, and was comparing prices.

bobsticks
01-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Johnny,

I'm familiar with the the brand, though not the item. KEF is an old English company that enjoys a very good rep across the pond. Despite having moved alot of production to China (who hasn't) they've been good at maintaining quality control. I use the Q7 floorstanders in a secondary system and though I've had many opportunities to change them I'm sticking with 'em for now.

I have no experience with their subs but it doesn't surprise me that you like them. Evidently this is a case of quality carrying across an entire line. I would, however, suggest maybe checking out 12 inch subs. Given that you're a movie buff it's been my experience that unless your room is pretty small a 12 will give you better extension and sound effects.

Congrats on all the new toys.

topspeed
01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
KEF is a British company that has been very well respected for a looooong time. They are best known for for their coincident source (i.e. co-axial) tweeter/midrange drivers, kind of like B&W and kevlar. It's been a few years since I heard one of their floorstanders, but I remember it being typically British in sound and having very good build quality. Not Quad or B&W good, but very good nonetheless.

I've never heard that sub, but you don't need to worry about the company.

BTW, I agree with sticks. If you're going to get a sub, get one that can drop into the 20's otherwise, what's the point?

audio amateur
01-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm very surprised you don't know Kef. As far as subs go, there's so much available today that Kef probably isn't the best way to go. There are so many possabilites at every price point it's hard to even start suggesting. There's a lot of 'DIY' possabilities in the US, an if it were me i'd get and Adire Audio (Brahma for example:D) sub with some potent amp, stick them in a well designed box and that would be it.

audio amateur
01-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Oh.. i checked out Kef's flagship sub from its reference range a couple days ago.. it looks quite simply monstrous. It's an 18inch beast:
http://www.kef.com/products/reference06/GLOBAL/productRange_209/default.aspx

O'Shag
01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
18" Woofer, yep, KEF know how to make a woofer. They are among the greatest speaker builders in the history of audio.:cornut:

diggity
01-31-2008, 12:59 AM
KEF is very popular in my part of australia, probably because of the british connection and the fact that we aussies have highest the standards of ANY country :ciappa: :ciappa: !

haven't heard of any bad responses locally from anyone

cheers:dazza

musicman1999
01-31-2008, 04:35 AM
KEF was actually bought up by a Hong Kong firm about 15 years ago but to their credit has stayed true to their roots.

bill

johnny p
01-31-2008, 07:08 AM
First off.... thanks for all the great advice and info, as usual.

The 18" monster certainly sounds tempting, who wants to lend me $7,000 !!!!!

I keep hearing "go 12" for the sub" would I be better keeping the 15" sub I have? I just know that as far as sound quality, pretty much anything out there has to be better than what I have, but within my system, I haven't been able to audition another sub side-by-side with mine to compare it to....... I was leaning towards a smaller sub, because I was afraid I had TOO MUCH sub for my set-up now that I've integrated bookshelf speakers as my mains.

Added bonus, when I do get the new sub, the old will join the old wall-shakers in the basement (which is being converted to a man-cave of sorts..... Foosball, billiards, brand new Fridge-Freezer..... still need a projector though)

I'll keep an eye out for other Subs I guess...... but for a 12 X 16 room (which has half of one wall open to the dining/hall area) would 12" and up be the size sub I should shoot for?

audio amateur
01-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Whats your budget? If you want somethin musical, try REL or MJ Acoustics. I personaly would go with MJ acoustics as it is still 100% British, whereas it appears that REL has done nothing but go downhill since it's been taken over by americans (this is what i've heard). I don't know if you can get ahold of MJ in the US though. You can't really go wrong with Velodyne either, if you want bang for the buck check out SVSubwoofers. The dayton subwoofer kits are well regarded, L.J and GMichael have one. Paradigm servo subs look good too. As I said, LOTS of choice.

johnny p
01-31-2008, 11:08 AM
budget??? is that a British term? Like Bollocks???

seriously though, I don't know... if you ask my wife, my budget is ZERO, but I'd like to stay around $500-$700 for a sub. I know that will greatly limit my options, and if not getting the most ideal sub, sound/power/size isn't possible in that price range, then I'll just wait, I have no problem waiting also, but I'm trying to justify a new Rotel at the same time, so there are other things to buy!!!

I will check out those you mentioned though.

thanks,

drmarkou
01-31-2008, 07:14 PM
If your still thinking of KEF, I can also tell they make quality speakers. I have the Q65.2 floorstanders and they're made in Belgium. I had a problem with a driver and they shipped me one within 48 hours with no questions asked. Great customer service.

Great sounding and solid build quality.

Cheers.

O'Shag
01-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Now that 18" sub will go well with my Maidstones, not that they need one.