Good Value HDMI cable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good Value HDMI cable

Mr Peabody
01-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I know I will probably not live this post down but I can be objective. I recently picked up a HDMI switcher and needed a couple other HDMI cables. The only thing open was stores that sold Monster. I happened to be at Target with my wife and out of curiosity I walked to the electronics area to see what they had, I fully expected some cheezy off brand. I was surprised to see they carried Belken. They had one that was 1.3 compliant, I thought what the heck, right now I am only capable of displaying 1080i so this cable should work and if not I can always return it. First for fun I tried it in place of a first gen Monster that cost about $150.00, I don't know what I was thinking that night. The cable went between a LG DVD player and my Sony HD tube TV. The Belkin had a superior picture. So is it still better to have higher bandwidth for even low resolutions or did this $39.95 cable kick Monster's butt? I put the Monster back into place and took the cables into the room where they were intended to go. The Belkin compared to the Tributaries was so close I couldn't tell a difference but it was hard to switch the cables around in a timely way. Just going by memory there wasn't much difference. If anything I thought maybe the Tributaries might have been a tad brighter but I'm not sure. I can't remember which Tributaries I have but it cost about $80.00. Unless something changes I intend on just sticking with this Belkin in the future. I can't say about differences in sound because my processor don't take HDMI and I can't tell much just by the TV. I am convinced the Belkin does a fine job and one can certainly save a few bucks.

dean_martin
01-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I appreciate your comments on the Belkin. I haven't compared any HDMI cables but I do need another one. I do have an AR Pro Series II HDMI cable that transmits a great picture between my HD DVD player and plasma flat panel. The cable is impressively made and should last a long time. Of course BestBuy was getting rid of its AR cables to make room for more Monster and Rocket Dog (or Rocket Fish, I can't remember which) cables. Not only was the AR marked down, but there was a 20% off online coupon that I printed and used. I'd recommend the AR Pro Series II if you can still find'em.

GMichael
01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Try here.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243

zepman1
01-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Parts Express sells the Dayton HDMI cables for really cheap. Cables are a decent build quality and are tested for 1080p compliance. I have not noticed any problems or differences compared to others other than the price.

Mr Peabody
01-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Aah! not Monoprice, those guys are crooks. They advertised their HDMI switcher on Amazon as 1080p but when it arrived the box listed all the resolutions and 1080p wasn't one of them. When I contacted the seller he tried to tell me it would do 1080p and it depends on cables and such. I told him if the thing did 1080p I'd think the manufacturer would have put it on the box along with the other rez.

L.J.
01-30-2008, 01:36 PM
I got mine from Bluejeanscable.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/hdmi-cables/index.htm

JSE
02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I actually bought two 15 ft HDMI cables from Oppo. Great price and great quality.

blackraven
02-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Mr. P, what legnth cable was the belkin for $39?

Mr Peabody
02-02-2008, 06:12 PM
It was for a 2 meter.

alt4
03-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Try here.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243

Excellent place!!!

I bought all my HDMI cables there.

Breezer88888
03-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Kind of hard to find a bad HDMI cable, but I will say that my BetterCables hdmi cable slips off the back of my TV by itself sometimes. Its annoying and I will try to see what they will do for me. But I bought the cable from eBay thinking that it was good value, so it might not be so easy to have BetterCables back their product. Hope this helps someone.

audio amateur
03-03-2008, 03:38 AM
It was for a 2 meter.
Since when do you guys use metric:confused:

alt4
03-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Kind of hard to find a bad HDMI cable, but I will say that my BetterCables hdmi cable slips off the back of my TV by itself sometimes. Its annoying and I will try to see what they will do for me. But I bought the cable from eBay thinking that it was good value, so it might not be so easy to have BetterCables back their product. Hope this helps someone.

That has not happened to me yet but every once in awhile I'll check the connection and it's about ready to!

StevenSurprenant
03-23-2008, 06:05 AM
I have three different brands of HDMI cables and they all work fine. I don't know the brands of the first two cables.

One cost me $14, one cost $30, and then I have two pairs of DH Labs of different lengths which cost about twice as much.

As far as video performance is concerned, they are about equal, but maybe the DH Labs are a little more vibrant. (I'm not sure about that!)

The only area of real improvement (that I am sure about) was with the DH Labs audio output. The clarity went up a notch.

I do not have any monster wire.