New Receiver - RX-V3800 or TX-NR905? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Receiver - RX-V3800 or TX-NR905?

jb5200
01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
I am in the market for a new receiver and I have narrowed it down to the Yamaha RX-V3800, the Onkyo TX-NR905. There are a lot of pluses and minuses for each but I want to hear from the people that own any of them.

I read Rich's thread and that helped me a little but here are my only hang-ups
- Yamaha isn't THX (does this matter?), the last two speaker inputs aren't binding posts, and it only weighs 38 lbs (Quality?).
- Onkyo is a beast at almost 60lbs I think but I have read it gets really hot.

Here's my setup:

Klipsch RF-82's
Klipsch RW12
Klipsch SC1 Center
Klipsch KSW 3.1 and 2.1's for surrounds

Which receiver will sound the best - I like to really crank music (Rock/Rap) and watch a lot of movies. BTW I am thinking of dropping Klipsch and switching to Paradigm Monitor 11's v5 in the future but not sure.

Thanks,

Stone

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi jb5200

Obviously my choice is the 3800, and if you went through my receiver auditioning... thread, there's a post by L.J. that includes a link to the Audiohloics website where a member there talked about a deal going on at 6 ave. electronics, and he included an online coupon code that's good for $501. off regular price. Well its true, and includes free shipping. That total brought the cost down below the price I was seeing for the Yamaha RX-V1800 which is, among other things 10 watts down on power compared to the 3800.

As far as THX, I THINK that only becomes useful when running all 7.1 channels, and there was speculation on the AVS forums that it contributed to the Onkyo's heat output, but there was some dispute IIRC.

I own a Yamaha now and I've been very happy with it despite the fact that it's a very weak link in my system. And like you I REALLY like to crank rock-n-roll. Because I'm in the middle of rearranging my setup, I've been listening to music in two channel stereo and I'm amazed at how good the imaging is. And it's like I never even needed a sub because the bass output of my 804's is phenominal IMO.

I'm not familiar with the Klipsch's you speak of, but personally I'd go with the 3800 at just over $1K, and save or spend on those Paridigm's you speak of. They are some gorgeous and awesome sounding speakers.

Good luck! Happy hunting!

RoadRunner6
01-29-2008, 06:00 PM
THX is only a THX stamp of approval that it meats their minimum amp requirements. It is legitimate but mainly a marketing thing. All amps in your price range will have adequate amps especially for those highly efficient Klipsch speakers.

They will both sound the same. Regardless what you hear and read from so called audiophiles all quality amps/receivers sound the same 99% of the time except with very difficult to drive speakers. Put a blindfold on all those guys out there that hear the differences and suddenly the differences no longer exist. Neither the Klipsch nor Paradigms are in this class and they are both easy to drive especially with a powered sub. This has been demonstrated numerous times in pro double blind listening tests. I would choose between these two great receivers based on your preferences between their features, etc and not the amps.

No offense, but for the best in performance I would upgrade that Klipsch sub to a sub that has better flat low bass extention and low distortion. Look to SVS and HSU online direct dealers for top quality subs.

RR6

RoadRunner6
01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Couple more thoughts.

You do not list your current receiver. I feel that you think upgrading the receiver will make a difference in the sound performance. It will make almost none. Actually the Onkyo TX-SR875 is a more fair comparison price wise to the Yamaha 3800. Small differences in watts per channel will make no audible difference (10 watts up from 130 watts for example translates to a fraction of 1db increase in sound output.....only important if you have very inefficient speakers that send your receiver amp into frequent clipping). Those Klipsch and Paradigm mains you are talking about have a listed speaker sensitivity rating of 98db's and 97db's respectively. That means these are both extremely high efficiency speakers. They will play much, much louder than your average speakers with small amounts of power. You would be just fine with an amp that puts out 50 watts per channel. 100 watts or more is just icing on the cake. That Klipsch with 125 watts of power will produce approximately 119db's of sound level. Holy cow! That is extremely loud! 50 watts will produce about 115db's and that is very, very loud. You don't need lots of power with either of those speaker series.

I recommend you look for the lowest price receiver in the $750 list price and above that has all the features you need. Choose based on HDMI connections, sub crossovers at every 10hz and for each individual channel, EQ for each channel, a well thought out remote control, etc. I think you would be plenty happy with the Yamaha RX-V1800. Save the extra money for the speakers and a better subwoofer.

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-audio-receivers/m/47829837/search=yamaha+rx-v1800/sort_type=bottomline

A look at your Klipsch models tells me you have put together speakers from several different Klipsch series. I think the biggest improvement in sound you will find is to dump your center and surround speakers and get the speakers that match your RF-82's. They are the RC-62 center and the RS-52 surrounds. This will give you a smooth voice/timbre matched surround sound with superb smoothness and soundstage. Trust me. I have done the exact same thing I am recommending and it makes a very audible improvement. If you instead move to the Paradigm's do the exact same thing. This exact matching will do much more to improve the sound than adding a few watts in a receiver.

I owned a complete Klipsch system several years ago including two Klipsch KW-12 subs. When I moved into a condo I had to stopped knocking the walls down. The Klipsch subs are impressive but tend to have a peak in the 30-40hz range. That makes them sound impressive at first but not so great for music and especially movies with low bass down to the 15-30hz range.

The real difference in sound besides the speakers is how they are placed in your room, the actual room accoustical properties and the music source.

Hope I might have saved you some bucks. Good luck on your choices.

RR6

pixelthis
01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I am in the market for a new receiver and I have narrowed it down to the Yamaha RX-V3800, the Onkyo TX-NR905. There are a lot of pluses and minuses for each but I want to hear from the people that own any of them.

- Yamaha isn't THX (does this matter?), the last two speaker inputs aren't binding posts, and it only weighs 38 lbs (Quality?).

Here's my setup:

Klipsch RF-82's
Klipsch RW12
Klipsch SC1 Center

Which receiver will sound the best - I like to really crank music (Rock/Rap) and watch a lot of movies. BTW I am thinking of dropping Klipsch and switching to Paradigm Monitor 11's v5 in the future but not sure.

Thanks,

Stone

I have an Integra, which is made by Onkyo and a lot like it.
I also had a pair of Klipsch (a complete set actually) and they sounded quite nice with the integra. They were a good match.
Some YAMAHAS have been reported as having a weak ground, or insuficient ground, but I JUST HEARD THAT FROM ONE POSTER WHO GOT THAT FROM A REPAIRMAN.
Don't know if its true.
In tegras "run " a little hot because they are high current, which is a GOOD thing.
And you can use them to warm your butt in the winter.
And THX? A marketing gimmick:1:

jb5200
01-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it. I did really look at the 875 or even the 2700 in the Yammie but there was one feature that I liked in the the higher models and that was the ethernet connectivity. I have used this before and it is sweet - set up a playlist and let 'er fly.

Oops, btw my other receiver was a Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH which I am selling b/c I just didn't like the sound with the Klipsch - a little bright and brash, shrilling a bit at loud vol. Don't get me wrong it cranked but it was a little too high for my ears.

I definitely know that I need to change the center and surrounds and the sub but I have had those for years and it is taking me a while to get updated. I think I will eventually switch to the Paradigms sometime so if anyone wants to buy some of the Klipsch stuff let me know. The RF 82's are only 2 months old.

I am going to listen to both the 3800 and the 905 tonight to see the difference, I just don't know if the extra $500-$600 extra for the 905 is worth it, they both have pretty much the same features. I am leaning towards the Yammie though and I know I would be happy with either one but I just don't want to have it a month and sell it like I am doing with the pioneer. I keep trying that link that Rich used but I can't get it to work! UGH!

You guys are awesome!

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2008, 07:50 AM
PM'ed ya back with the coupon code Stone. :thumbsup:

RoadRunner6
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
I think the bright shrill sound you hear is due to the Klipsch speakers or even your sound source but not the Pioneer receiver. You could also have some sound settings wrong on the Pioneer. That is a very fine receiver with an excellent amp. It should sound virtually identical to the Onkyo 905 and Yammie 3800.

Some people find the horns in the Klispch speakers a little too edgey and bright for their taste. If you do decide to go with the Paradigm's I would do that first and try keeping the Pioneer.

RR6

bubslewis
01-30-2008, 04:30 PM

Here's my setup:

Klipsch RF-82's
Klipsch RW12
Klipsch SC1 Center

Thanks,

Stone

I find my Yamaha RX-V2500 to be very veristile. I've had it for over a year and I still haven't got thru the rather extensive operating manual. For my music listening I just run 2 channel direct to an external amp. basically using the 2500 as a preamp. HT options, however, are extensive.

Bill

pixelthis
01-31-2008, 01:29 AM
I think the bright shrill sound you hear is due to the Klipsch speakers or even your sound source but not the Pioneer receiver. You could also have some sound settings wrong on the Pioneer. That is a very fine receiver with an excellent amp. It should sound virtually identical to the Onkyo 905 and Yammie 3800.

Some people find the horns in the Klispch speakers a little too edgey and bright for their taste. If you do decide to go with the Paradigm's I would do that first and try keeping the Pioneer.

RR6

I had to get rid of my klipsch, they sounded great, but QC wasnt up to par (made in China) and listener fatigue set in after a few hours.
I traded and got my old b&w speakers back, the tweeters are made of aluminum,
not titanium, and I AM MUCH HAPPIER NOW:1:

GMichael
01-31-2008, 07:43 AM
I find my Yamaha RX-V2500 to be very veristile. I've had it for over a year and I still haven't got thru the rather extensive operating manual. For my music listening I just run 2 channel direct to an external amp. basically using the 2500 as a preamp. HT options, however, are extensive.

Bill

I've had my 2500 for 3 years now. I find it to be fan-dam-tastic.

jb5200
01-31-2008, 09:55 AM
Just listened to the Integra, 3800, and the 905 last night. Both with my Klipsch speakers and with Paradigms. To me the 3800 sounded the best, a little cleaner than the other two with the type of music that I listen to (Hard Rock/Rap - Breaking Benjamin/Cold/Chevelle/Linkin Park/etc.) The Onkyo and the Integra were nice but a little more mellowed out for rock - sounded awesome for jazz or classical not as punchy. So that helped me make my decision.

I am going to try to utilize the 3800 with my Klipsch for now b/c I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 11's (which had a little more mellow, smooth low but not enough punch for rock) and to be honest they were very comparable to my Klipsch's so to drop a little more on speakers that were comparable didn't make sense.

Now, let's talk the Studio 100's - WOW! That's a whole new world for me and I realize there are so many other speakers out there that are better but they also cost alot more and being a high school teacher I don't exactly make a doctor's salary. Those speakers were so friggin smooth and silky it made my ears water. I now know my future and I am already trying to plan it out to get those.

The other ones I might consider is the Axiom M80's - I here those are supposed to be better than the Studio's and are about $1330 vs. $2500. I can't listen to those though so that might be tough.

One Question for GMichael (Bill) - How do you have the external amp hooked into your 2500 - Through the preouts on the back of the receiver? Does that affect how you hook up your surround, b/c this is something I would like to do as well, try to find a used but good amp and add it to the mix.

Thanks to everyone with the awesome input!

I will keep you posted!

Stone

GMichael
01-31-2008, 10:16 AM
One Question for GMichael (Bill) - How do you have the external amp hooked into your 2500 - Through the preouts on the back of the receiver? Does that affect how you hook up your surround, b/c this is something I would like to do as well, try to find a used but good amp and add it to the mix.

I will keep you posted!

Stone

Although they are on my list of things to buy, I do not have external amps yet. The pre-outs would be the way I would go. The surrounds can still be hooked up to the receiver's speaker outputs if you are only adding amps for the fronts.

pixelthis
02-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Just listened to the Integra, 3800, and the 905 last night. Both with my Klipsch speakers and with Paradigms. To me the 3800 sounded the best, a little cleaner than the other two with the type of music that I listen to (Hard Rock/Rap - Breaking Benjamin/Cold/Chevelle/Linkin Park/etc.) The Onkyo and the Integra were nice but a little more mellowed out for rock - sounded awesome for jazz or classical not as punchy. So that helped me make my decision.

I am going to try to utilize the 3800 with my Klipsch for now b/c I listened to the Paradigm Monitor 11's (which had a little more mellow, smooth low but not enough punch for rock) and to be honest they were very comparable to my Klipsch's so to drop a little more on speakers that were comparable didn't make sense.

Now, let's talk the Studio 100's - WOW! That's a whole new world for me and I realize there are so many other speakers out there that are better but they also cost alot more and being a high school teacher I don't exactly make a doctor's salary. Those speakers were so friggin smooth and silky it made my ears water. I now know my future and I am already trying to plan it out to get those.

The other ones I might consider is the Axiom M80's - I here those are supposed to be better than the Studio's and are about $1330 vs. $2500. I can't listen to those though so that might be tough.

I will keep you posted!

Stone

Yamahas amps are very "sharp" which some think is harsh, I PREFER THE WORD
DETAILED.
It is probably the one for you, jazz is the forte of integra, which is probably why I like it.
And try the Axioms, they are quite nice for the price , have listened to them quite a bit, a friend has some, and the wood trim is probably real, my friend stained his:1: