I need Vintage Stereo Speaker Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need Vintage Stereo Speaker Help

loudandrockinclear
01-28-2008, 09:40 PM
Can anyone tell me what speakers to use with two McIntosh 2205s used as mono blocks at 400 watts with a McIntosh C33 and a Dual 5000 turntable and Shure V15 Vxmr? I love the bass of a loud rock concert and I thought buying 4 Cerwin Vega cls 15s at 400 watts max would be perfect. But they dont really sound that great except low end. I need more of a vintage speaker and I want 4 of them...Klipsch Cornwalls? Is there a big speaker that sounds good anymore or do I need 4 smaller speakers such as Heresys and a subwoofer? THANKYOU VERY MUCH.:5:

RoadRunner6
01-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Hope you don't mind if I ask you several questions before I can give my opinion.

You said stereo. Why 4 speakers? Exactly what do you have in mind, one in each of 4 corners? Two on each side?

Can you describe in detail and dimensions the room in which you will be using this system.

Are your sound sources only LP's or will you also have digital sources with extra low bass?

RR6

dingus
01-29-2008, 11:11 PM
well you just cant go pick them off the shelf, you will be limited to whats available in your area at any given time. whats the budget? if you dont mind the added expense of shipping then the bay and audiogon are probably going to have the best selection and you will always get what you pay for - now days quality vintage is rarely inexpensive.

from the 70's, Acoustic Research floorstanders have a killer low end, but the big (rare and very spendy) JBL's and Infinity's may have the best low end of the vintage era. i would think that your amps would do quite well with any of these.

others to look for are the big Snell's and KEF's and if you like horns then Klipsch is not a bad choice and you might like Altec's as well. happy hunting!

basite
01-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Hi, welcome to the forums...

Why 4 speakers? how big is your room?

and why do you have all the wonderful gear if you're just gonna run them with Cerwin Vegas? The Mcintoshes deserve better...

if you like loud though, the Klipsch would be your best bet...
or some big nasty JBL's...

what's your budget?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

markw
01-30-2008, 06:36 AM
A lot of "vinatge" speakers aren't made to absorb that amount of power and/or pump out that level of loudness.

If you're really after the "loud rock concert" experience, you may want to be looking at pro sound reinforcement speakers, but know that those amps deserve far, far better.

bfalls
01-30-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm not that familiar with the Klipsch Cornwalls, but I've really enjoyed the sound of their Kg4s. The Kg4s have two 8" mid-woofers and a 12" passive radiator. They have very good clarity, but are on the warm side with good bass. I've never experienced the "harshness" often associated with many horn tweeters. They're 94db efficient, so will play to adequate levels with just about any amp/receiver. I've had mine for close to 20 years and wouldn't give them up. They can still be found for reasonable cost on ebay. Their big brother the Fortes are also good performers with more bass and larger woofers. I'd stay away from the Heresys. They get all the raves about their mid-range transparency, but I think they're bass-shy, so wouldn't fit your criteria.

My first choice would be the Legacy Focus, three 12" woofers 2-7" mid-woofs, midrange and two tweeters (silk dome and ribbon). They may be out of your price range especially for four ($6700/pr). They have the best bass reporduction I've heard. They're articulate, well controlled, well defined without being boomy and they're not too sensitive to placement. I've seen these on ebay occasianally for around $2000+. At 175lbs/ea you won't want to have them shipped.

RoadRunner6
01-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Want to know more about the Cornwalls look here:

http://www.klipschcorner.com/special/CornwallTimeline.aspx

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/cornwall-iii.aspx

RR6