Marantz 2275 or Pioneer SX-1080? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz 2275 or Pioneer SX-1080?

Cool_Manchu
01-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now and thought it was time I jumped in and introduced myself.

I have convinced myself that I want to go vintage for my stereo. I have a Tiki Lounge (converted garage) setup and I am currently using a 5.1 Yamaha receiver paired with a classic Denon DP-61f turntable and I want to go with either a Marantz or Pioneer receiver.

I have the option of buying a Marantz 2275 for $250 or a Pioneer SX-1080 for $200.

My listening tastes run the full gamut...from heavy metal to rap to country to oldies. I wanted to find out what you think would be a better option for me.

I have read as much as I can find about both receivers and I know they both have their own dedicated followings, but I wanted to find out what your opinions were. The Marantz doesn't have as much power, but the blue back light does look cool. But this isn't a beauty pageant.

So audiophiles, please share your limitless knowledge with me.

Once we get this one figured out, I will do the unthinkable and ask you to provide some insight on what speakers would be best. I plan on running four speakers total, for that full immersion kind of sound. :)

Chris Friedrick
08-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Go with the Marantz.It just sounds good. Or go with Sansui, or Onkyo Integra. To me, Pioneers just sound bad.They sound tinny or fake on the high end , and practically nonexistent on the low end. To be fair, I have only really listened to the sx-780 and the sx 880, but they are in the same line of receivers.

02audionoob
08-26-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm a long-time Marantz fan so I would be inclined to go for the 2275. However, these receivers are generally under-rated on the power and that 120-watt Pioneer will likely really rock the house...in case you're interested in strong power for your buck. Marantz prices usually factor in some name recognition and beauty...but I tend to think they're worth what they're selling for. Seems like you can't go wrong, choosing between these two.

thekid
08-27-2009, 02:19 AM
I actually own both pieces that are just a step down from each of those units; a Marantz 2245 and a Pioneer SX-850. You really can't go wrong with either unit and I think they both do different thinks very well. The Marantz IMO opinion produces a good over all sound but lacks power and does not seem to produce the bass that the Pioneer does. I think to some degree it will come down to the type of speakers and to some degree the type of music you will be listening to with these pieces. If you go with something that is less efficient and like playing head banging music at high volumes then I'd go with the Pioneer which I believe is rated at 120 wpc versus the Marantz that is at 75 wpc. If you are playing low volume music that runs towards accoustic or classical on a highly efficient speaker then I do not think you would miss the lower end or additional power of the Pioneer. Style wise that blue lighting of the Marantz might go better with the Tiki bar but both units have their own style.

I will jump the gun on the speaker and w/o knowing what you recommend a couple based on what I have owned. These are not in any order.... Early Advents either the Original Large Advents or New Large Advents (often referred to as OLA's or NLA's), early KLH's up to probably KLH 21's, Dynaco A-25's or any early EPI's or Genesis speakers. These are all vintage speakers dating from the early to mid 70's which is roughly the era of the receivers you are considering. They also can usually found fairly easily and for not too much coin. With any older speaker you do want to make sure they contain the original drivers and do not be afraid of getting something that may need a re-foam if the cabinets are in good shape and the price is right. Refoaming older speakers is not too hard and even a noob like me has done it a couple of times with success.

One other thing to consider I have read in several places that of all of the Marantz 22XX series the 2275 can be prone to have some problems and that in generally Marantz receivers can but are not great with pushing speakers below 6 ohms. So again your speaker choice can have an impact on what you select.

Good luck!

SierraBob
03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
I have to say... go with the Marantz 2275!! It is rated at 75 watts per channel, but it's true output is closer to 100!! Hook this powerhouse up with speakers that can handle it's power and you're set. You will be very happy with this receiver. I am about to send mine in for a complete rebuild!! Hopefully, you are on friendly terms with your neighbors as they will be well aware of it's existence in your garage!!

dakatabg
03-31-2010, 03:14 AM
I will go with the Marantz.

poppachubby
03-31-2010, 07:00 AM
If you're plugging the Denon through the phono stage of the amp, and are looking for superb vinyl quality playback....Marantz.

If you're looking to order up some beer and strippers for you and the guys...Pioneer.

rob_a
03-31-2010, 11:27 AM
Personally, I like the sound of Marantz. They tend to be a little on the worm side, If that’s what you like then it should be a good fit. Good Luck on your choice :thumbsup:

markw
03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
The nonly Marantz units I've heard of that have problms with four ohm speakers is the 2270, an earlier model. And, even then, it's not a killer problem. Unike other amps, it just puts out less power and more distortion as the impeadence goes down.

I've never found it to be a problem, though. I've had a 2270 driving a pair of JBL's (quite loudly and cleanly I might add) since the early 70's and never had a problem.