Anyone compared Jamo C 607 with Monitor Audio RS6? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone compared Jamo C 607 with Monitor Audio RS6?

JK_Livin22
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
I have not been to able find much in the way of a review for the Jamo C 607s. I've read some very good reviews of other speakers in their C series, but nothing on the C 607s. Unfortunately I live in a very rural area at the present time, and it is very difficult for me to audition either of these. Of course I certainly will make a huge effort to do so before I make a final decision. In the meantime however, I was hoping that someone may have had an opportunity to audition each of these and is willing to give a compare and contrast. There is a plethora of reviews on the MA RS6s, so I have a fairly good idea of what their strengths are. What I am wondering is how the Jamos compare to them as well as their general overall performance. Are they on the bright side, or is their treble and midrange silky smooth aka Wharfedales? Do they have a good sound stage and/or imaging? How does it compare with these characteristics of the RS6s? How about bass performance and vocals; would you say one of these out did the other? I listen to a fair amount of acoustic guitar, but the biggest factor to consider is that I will probably be playing a lot of live DVD concerts in multichannel formats, and likely some SACD and DVD Audio as well down the road. Given that, is there anything about either of these that might make one preferable to the other? (i.e. how well do they sound with the center channel and other speakers in their line?) I will be using these as part of a home theater system as well (probably for a least a year or two anyway) but my ratio of HT to music is probably 60% music to 40% HT. I am currently using (what I consider to be) a mediocre receiver (Onkyo TX-SR502, no offense to anyone else who owns one), but am saving for a Cambridge Audio Azur 840A which I hope to purchase in about a year. Anyway, in my attempt to provide enough information I have probably offered too much, but nonetheless, if anyone has any advice on these two speakers in particular, and their use with the electronics just mentioned, I would be very appreciative of your thoughts/comments.

Thanks in advance.

Ajani
01-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I have no experience with Jamo speakers, but I am a fan of Monitor Audio speakers... especially the GS20 and then the RS6 (of course with a 3:1 price difference, it's not suprising I prefered the GS20)...

I've heard the RS6 with some Cambridge Audio gear (can't remember whether it was the 640 or 540).... and it was a really nice sounding setup... so I think you can get a pleasing sound with an 840/RS6 combo...

Two quick questions though:

1) What is your price range?

&

2) Have you considered/auditioned any other speaker brands?

JK_Livin22
01-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Ajani,

Yeah I had a list of quite a few speakers (too many to remember really) and finally cut it down to the Wharfedale 9.6s and these two, and then narrowed my list again down to the Jamos and the MAs. My price range is around $700 - $850 or so. I'm sure there are a lot of great speakers out there in this price range but I really don't want to start adding to my list after having narrowed it down to a final few. Again, I live a good distance from any dealers and will have to make a several hour drive each way in order to audition these. I really don't want to have to manage that drive and try to audition four pair of speakers in one day, so I am hoping to have just two in mind, that way if I come across another speaker that is really impressive while I'm auditioning these two (which is always a possibility), I won't feel overwhelmed trying to listen to four different speakers in one day. Both the MAs and the Jamos fit nicely within my allotted speaker budget, are manufactured by quality companies, and are very nice looking (especially the Jamos. The Danish really seem to do a nice job with speaker aesthetics, imho). And of course most importantly, I feel both of these will have the sonic/acoustical qualities and characteristics I am looking for.

bellerbu
02-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I recently purchased a set of Jamo C607s and will do my best to do an analysis for you. I can't do a direct comparison with the MA RS6, but I'll do what I can. I'll be driving them with the Denon AVR3808 and using a bi-wiring configuration with 4S11 wires.

I too was in the market for high quality speakers in a similar price range (around $1000/pair, but hopefully less if used), and ended up getting the Jamo's based on a few verbal/email comments on their excellence and a great deal on ebay. A Jamo rep said he has the C607s at his residence and loved them, and I figured if that was true, they must be comparable (or better?) to the C807 line which has received excellent reviews.

I had narrowed my search down to the Wharfedale Diamond 9.6s, the Aperion Audio 633 line, and the Jamos. I had also looked at the MA RS6, but wasn't finding great prices on them. I'm sure they are all great speakers and great speakers for the money. FYI - If you don't already have a place to purchase the Wharf's, check out etailonline.com. That's where I found good prices on the 9.6s and would have ordered from. Anyhow, the deciding factor for me was an auction on eBay to get a set of barely used C607/603/60 CEN for only $560, and I jumped on it. I just hooked them up to my new receiver last night, and will need to spend some time listening to them. I'll try to remember to come back here with my impressions. I suppose I would just leave a review under the Jamo C 607 line. Best of luck in your decision... :6:

avgal
04-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I would really love to know about the combo coz i have a denon 2807 and am planning to invest on jamoc607 and epos m12i. i will bi-amp both the sets and utilize them for stereo and ht listening sessions. the source will be a marantz sa7001. i would really appreciate if you could suggest me which set up should i go for. my tastes are excellent transparancy, liquidity and treble resolution, together with neutral midrange and tight and taut base with no extra boom. the sounstage should have holographic imaging as well.. i have also kept in mind the dali ikon 6, epos m22i, iq3..I am eagerly awaiting your expert opinion.

manlystanley
04-09-2010, 04:23 AM
I would really love to know about the combo coz i have a denon 2807 and am planning to invest on jamoc607 and epos m12i. i will bi-amp both the sets and utilize them for stereo and ht listening sessions. the source will be a marantz sa7001. i would really appreciate if you could suggest me which set up should i go for. my tastes are excellent transparancy, liquidity and treble resolution, together with neutral midrange and tight and taut base with no extra boom. the sounstage should have holographic imaging as well.. i have also kept in mind the dali ikon 6, epos m22i, iq3..I am eagerly awaiting your expert opinion.

Hello avgal,
I'll let others give the expert opinion, I'm just a guy who's enjoying his Jamo C809's. The only problem I see with the Jamo's is that they are a bit on the warm side, I'm not sure if that would suit your tastes (assuming that the 607's are similar to the 809's). Also, the midrange is not fully transparent. But, for me and my tastes I really like them.

It's taken me forever to get a power amp / speaker matchup that I like. I'd suggest that, if possible, you get the 607's on trial and do an extended listen with your equipment in your room. This is the only way to find out if you like them.

What trips my trigger might be disappointing to you. But then for two speakers (less the $600)--it might be worth a shot: http://www.garrett-smarthome.com/proddetail.php?prod=C607BLK

Best Regards,
Stan

Keithfromcanada
04-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Interesting...a friend of mine had a pair of Jamo C607's for a while and I compared them to the Monitor Audio's, along with the Paradigm Studio 60's and a pair of Cantons (can't remember the model number).

Every ear is different and every system is different but I'll be right up front and say that both speakers did well to my ears. That said, i was floored by the Jamo's. This has a lot to do with the fact that I expected very little from them. They are a nice looking, slender speaker with high WAF and the sight of them had me thinking that they would never compare to the Monitor's or the Paradigms with accurate music reproduction - I was wrong! They held their ground very well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. A little less bottom end than the Monitor's and Paradigms but the midrange and tweeter more than made up for that. I'd describe the sound as 'warm'. The RS6's had better bass but I preferred the tweeter on the Jamo's.

Had I not found a great deal on the Swan Diva 6.1's (better to my ear than all of the above), I'd probably own the Paradigms (more expensive). I'd put the Jamo's and Monitor's about equal on the list.