Energy Speaker Impedance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Energy Speaker Impedance

joel2762
03-03-2004, 12:58 PM
I was looking at the specs for Energy C-1 bookshelves. It says Nominal Impedance : 8 ohms, Minimum Impedance: 4 ohms. What does this mean? What impedance are they!? can they be used with an 8 ohm amp? Thanks!

This Guy
03-03-2004, 01:33 PM
speakers don't have just one impediance. At different frequencies they will dip and rise. If the speaker has an impediance with an average of around 8 ohms, they'll call it an 8 ohm speaker, even though some frequencies could go as low as 3 ohms or rise up to 32 ohms (just an example). Here's a graph on a speakers impediance.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/295-305z.txt

-Joey

This Guy
03-03-2004, 01:34 PM
and yes your sony should be able to handle them.

TinHere
03-03-2004, 02:47 PM
I was looking at the specs for Energy C-1 bookshelves. It says Nominal Impedance : 8 ohms, Minimum Impedance: 4 ohms. What does this mean? What impedance are they!? can they be used with an 8 ohm amp? Thanks!

Here's a link with some info:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/speaker_impedance.html

joel2762
03-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Alright thanks, i'm looking at some nice new speakers with stands. While on the topic, anyone know if these are any good?

meyer
03-04-2004, 01:37 PM
The Energy C1 is an excellent value. However for the small price increase I reccomend comparing it with the C3. The larger driver of the C3 give the speaker a lower bottom end. Just my two cents!

joel2762
03-04-2004, 04:32 PM
I was originally looking at the C-3 but I figured that I would have a better chance at the C-1's because I thought that they would be cheaper. I would like to build a new system with all Energy stuff. I wouldn't mind their 8 inch sub and a center channel to match the speakers....I'm going to take a look at some of this stuff the weekend I hope...btw, does anyone know the retail price (Canadian) for these speakers? Thanks alot!

uncooked
03-04-2004, 04:43 PM
a&b sound has them on for $199 canadian right now.

http://www.absound.ca/Catalog2.aspx?ProdType=HW&Genre=Audio+Systems&l2=Bookshelf+Speakers

joel2762
03-05-2004, 02:52 AM
Wow that's not too bad! Thanks!

kexodusc
03-05-2004, 02:56 PM
Wow that's not too bad! Thanks!
Geez, that's a pretty darn good price. I'm in Canada right now for a week...does anyone know how these stack up to some other bookshelf speakers? I'm a big fan of the larger Connoisseurs.
I have a set of Axiom M3Ti's that just aren't living up to potential in my dining room. They're driving me nuts.

joel2762
03-05-2004, 06:21 PM
I haven't really compared any...but the alluminum tweeter says all for me! I've heard some other Energy stuff...Awsome! Picked these to listen to, hopefully this weekend. I e-mailed Bay Bloor, $400/pr C for the C1's, $650/pr C and the C1 center is also 450...not bad..stands are 100...I want these! They say lower distortion levels, but will they be lower than my 1" bigger woofer speakers I have now??? I don't care I like these Energy's better!! They look awsome too!!!

uncooked
03-05-2004, 06:24 PM
did you just say your buying them for $400???

absound has them for 199 like my link shows

joel2762
03-06-2004, 03:51 AM
Oops, sorry for the confusion...You're like shows the C-1's for $199 Each...The price I got from Bay Bloor is $400 a Pair. That's the difference...I'm going to check out the dealers in my area to find which has the best price..even though they'll probably be all the same....wow. I was looking at an old Stereo Mag...There's a big ad for the Energy e:XL series...they look solid...anyone farmiliar with these? I heard these and that's when I started looking into this brand. Great stuff.

kexodusc
03-06-2004, 04:27 AM
Oops, sorry for the confusion...You're like shows the C-1's for $199 Each...The price I got from Bay Bloor is $400 a Pair. That's the difference...I'm going to check out the dealers in my area to find which has the best price..even though they'll probably be all the same....wow. I was looking at an old Stereo Mag...There's a big ad for the Energy e:XL series...they look solid...anyone farmiliar with these? I heard these and that's when I started looking into this brand. Great stuff.
Joel: Energy makes a solid speaker, I'd put them up there beside Mission, Athena, Paradigm, PSB etc..slightly different sounds, and very good value across their product line.
You'd be smart to call the $199 retailer and ask them to ship them to you, you'd still save at least $100, maybe more.
Cheers!

joel2762
03-06-2004, 12:37 PM
That would probably be better. I finally got a chance to look at these today! They're awsome, nice magnetic grill contraption! Never got to hear them though; my dealer isn't the greatest. I also didn't get the price they sold them for because there was no one around :S hah..I want speakers that are ear level. My Quest's are good, better with stands but their awkward shape makes it hard to buy stands. I began to get interested in the Energy line and became very attatched to the sound of alluminum tweeters, I like these a lot more than the Soft Dome's in the Quest's or any other type of tweeter! If I do upgrade i'll be getting the matching stands...I think it might take a nice bit of convincing since we just got our surround system finshed...I'm always saying we need something else :p I'm also checking the price on the XL-150 Bookshelf which also might be pretty good. I'm going down in woofer size but oh well, I like these better and it shouldn't be a problem. Maybe one day there'll be a sale and they'll be a price that i'll HAVE to get them..I'm going to audition them sometime, just to hear them..I know they're great anyway..Thanks for the help!

Debbi
03-06-2004, 01:00 PM
link attached....looks like great deal if they still have them...
http://audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?hdnMfg=Energy&MFGID=253

joel2762
03-06-2004, 06:11 PM
But i'm trying to keep the price as low as possible...I like any Energy's though! Alumminum tweeters rule :P

uncooked
03-07-2004, 12:11 AM
you have quest speakers to :)

what models do you have.

i have the

qt66

qb5

qc5

qs10II

03-07-2004, 12:31 AM
A&B sound....you sure its 400?
go bargain with them.
the latest price i got from someone was 286 for a pair.
This is the price THEY gave me. Give them 250. They probably take it.

joel2762
03-07-2004, 06:34 AM
And in response to uncooked. I have the Quest Q610's for mains and Sw-880 for subwoofer. I have Acoustech LAbs rears. but here's what's the problem. I want my speakers ear level. Tower Speakers=not enough room, a little pricey. My Quest's are a weird shape, therefore i'd have to build stands. Too much trouble. But a new pair of speakers with stands would go great.....and they have alluminum tweeters :)

This Guy
03-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Don't limit yourself to just the Energy speakers, there are a lot of speakers in this price range that you may like. Did you even listen to these speaks yet? And why do you like aluminum tweeters so much? Did you ever hear a silk dome or a horn tweeter? I'm just saying there are lots of speakers out there and it would be a shame to limit yourself to one brand.

_Joey

joel2762
03-07-2004, 02:42 PM
I've heard speakers like it...I've heard other tweeters too, but there's something I like about the alluminum ones. They have a really nice sound to them..I've looked around a little but I really like the look of these and I like the Energy brand and most of all the sound.