Best center for the money...and surrounds. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best center for the money...and surrounds.

Tpratt23
01-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi, Im a newbe here and just starting a quest for a great speaker system. I have just purchased a big Plasma and would like to match the picture with great sound.
I currently have Infinity Overture Composition 3s and the 1s for the center and rear. I also have a sony receiver, the DA4ES.
I am keeping the 3s right now, but I am going to sell the 1s since I would rather have something that wasnt amplified for the sorrounds.
I have been think about using the Klipsch RC-52 and maybe some RS-42s for the surrounds. I have 7.1 so I need 2 sets of surrounds. Should I get the same surrounds for all 4?
I know its optimal to have all the same type of speakers, espcially the fronts.
Any advice and opinions apreciated.

Also, what is your opinions on the Sony ES line of receivers?

Thanks for any help and suffering through another newbe question...I did do a search but my brain is mush from all the possibilities.

blackraven
01-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I would try to stay within the infinity line so you can try and match the sound. If thats not impotant to you then go with B&W or Paradigm. Both will be better than the Klipsch IMHO. Both make nice low cost book shelves that sound great and they make excellent center channels. I love my B&W center speaker even though it does not match the sound of my Magnepans. Audio and more importantly speech is crystal clear.

Yes, try and get all 4 speakers the same. The Paradigm atoms, PSB alpha B's, and B&W 686's are a good place to start. NHT absolute Zero's are a bargain as well for HT use.

pixelthis
01-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I would try to stay within the infinity line so you can try and match the sound. If thats not impotant to you then go with B&W or Paradigm. Both will be better than the Klipsch IMHO. Both make nice low cost book shelves that sound great and they make excellent center channels. I love my B&W center speaker even though it does not match the sound of my Magnepans. Audio and more importantly speech is crystal clear.

Yes, try and get all 4 speakers the same. The Paradigm atoms, PSB alpha B's, and B&W 686's are a good place to start. NHT absolute Zero's are a bargain as well for HT use.

Good advice, the best center is one that matches your right and left speakers.
And hes' right about B&W also, IMHO.
I have a CC6, had it awhile but have no reason to trade, really, its an exelent speaker:1:

Tpratt23
01-28-2008, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate your time and input.

RoadRunner6
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I own the Sony STR-DA4ES. I bougth it about 4? years ago online new for $610. I chose it over the comparable Denon and Yamaha models only because for a receiver it has a very sophisitcated quasi-parametric EQ and an excellent choice of individual sound settings for all speakers that I needed at the time.

I am very pleased with it except for the fact that it has a terrible remote control. I purchased a HTM (Home Theater Master) MX-500 remote to control my system.

My speakers are pretty easy on the amp especially with a great sub. I think the Denon and Yammie have a slightly stronger amp for lower impedence. But overall this is a very fine receiver.

Whatever you decide on speakers stay with the same brand and series for all 5 speakers in a 5.1 system. This makes sure that all your speakers have the same exact tweeter and maybe even the same midrange driver for the best voicing/timbre match (very important). The sub can be from a different brand.

RR6