Which $300 speaker should I buy? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which $300 speaker should I buy?

blackraven
01-27-2008, 12:47 PM
My wife wants a stereo in our bedroom so I was thinking about spending around $300 on speakers.
I'm considering the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2's, PSB alpha B's, NHT Classic 2's and infinity Beta 20's. I'm leaning toward the Wharfedales and NHT's. The Wharfedales seem to have a deeper bass about 45Hz. I'll be using my 1970's technics 40wpc integrated amp and my MusicHallCDP. I tend to like a speaker with a slightly warm sound but I like accurate and detailed treble and tight bass. I know there is only so much you can expect out of a speaker in this price range. I've never heard the Wharfedales or the PSB's but they do have very good reviews.
Thanks, Larry!

Jimmy C
01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
...the new $299 x-ls Encore speaker! I have the original $220 x-ls, but the Encore has a reworked x-over and new drivers. Mine are very good for little money, I'm sure these will "kick it up a notch".

Also, I'm very happy with the cabinetry of the previous model, but the new ones have some REALLY cool looking woodwork. As always, a matching subwoofer is available down the road if you choose.

Can't go wrong - they offer a 30 day in-home trial, and they will even pay the return freight.

You can thank me later :*)

blackraven
01-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Thanks, I'll check them out.

flamer
01-27-2008, 06:53 PM
perhaps consider the Epos ELS-3 they may be a bit over $300 but worth every extra penny

RoadRunner6
01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Blackraven,

I don't really think you'll find a $150 speaker that goes down to 45hz anywhere near flat with low distortion and good bass definition. Most good speakers in this price range might reach 60-70hz at -3db at the best. You could always add a nice small sub later like the Outlaw Audio LFM-2 for $299.

I have three of the below linked speakers for my left, center and right speakers in my main living room system. (mine are in a special custom finish) For $296 a pair (regular finish, no tax and free shipping) you will get a superb small bookshelf speaker. You'll have $4.00 left over for some good Home Depot heavy gauge lamp cord speaker wire.

Don't be fooled by their low price. These are extremely well designed speakers and match the performance of speakers in the $400-$500 a pair range in my opinion. The tweeter is the exact same one as in their top of the line floorstanding model. I would call them slightly forward, very neutral, very low distortion, wide dispersion with smooth extended highs and accurate bass down to about 65-70hz at -3db. The next speaker up in size gives you about 10hz lower bass for $34 more. You could always boost the EQ on the bass and mids for a litlle more "warm" sound. Check here:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m2i_main.html

RR6 :D

PS: Watch the specs carefully. That Wharfedale is 45hz at -6db! Maybe a little exaggeration and probably about 55 or so at -3db. My very first speakers in 1969 were big Warfedale's.

blackraven
01-28-2008, 12:35 AM
I saw that about the wharfedale specs. I'll probably go with them or the NHT's. I still have an old BSR equalizer around. I don't plan on putting a sub in my bedroom.

emorphien
01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
The Axiom M3Tis are some of my favorite speakers in this price range.

SAPSEC
01-30-2008, 09:28 AM
My wife wants a stereo in our bedroom so I was thinking about spending around $300 on speakers.
I'm considering the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2's, PSB alpha B's, NHT Classic 2's and infinity Beta 20's. I'm leaning toward the Wharfedales and NHT's. The Wharfedales seem to have a deeper bass about 45Hz. I'll be using my 1970's technics 40wpc integrated amp and my MusicHallCDP. I tend to like a speaker with a slightly warm sound but I like accurate and detailed treble and tight bass. I know there is only so much you can expect out of a speaker in this price range. I've never heard the Wharfedales or the PSB's but they do have very good reviews.
Thanks, Larry!

Avoid PSB. I used them for 6 months and finally got rid of it on ebay. The sound is like behind the wall. You could try Monitor Audio R90 or JMLab SIB.