Is this overkill???? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is this overkill????

Darrenmc
03-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I just recently purchased some Angstrom Modular 2, 4 & 8 speakers. The 8's are LFT's or Low Frequency Transducers. They are in a sense the subwoofer of the system and the 4's sit on top. Here is the link if you're not sure what I mean http://www.angstromloudspeakers.com/prod_modular3.html. Now the dealer I go to totally forgot that I already have a Jamo SW410E subwoofer. So I have the Jamo sub hooked up to the sub out on the receiver(Onkyo TX-SR701) and the Angstrom 8's hooked up to the pre outs on the receiver. Is this overkill, do I now not need the Jamo sub? If not, I was thinking of trading it in and maybe getting a power amp to drive the Angstrom 4's seperately. If I'm right and it's overkill can anyone recommend a decent power amp for under $750US? Help me if you can. Thanks. :D

Darrenmc
03-04-2004, 06:00 AM
Anybody, I need an opinion????

This Guy
03-04-2004, 01:06 PM
If you already have a pair of subs, I don't think the jamo would be doing much. Here's how you can tell, get an analog spl meter from radio shack, set up the bass units (subs) in your speakers about 4 dB louder than the regular part of the speaker. Play your music as loud as you'd ever play it and see if those subs go loud enough. If they don't I'd keep the Jamo. I am not too familiar with what amps are out there currently so I can't really help you there.

-Joey

Darrenmc
03-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try them alone with the rest of my system and see how they perform. If they sound good then I'll sell the Jamo and look at upgrading my system with something else. I was thinking of getting a 2 channel power amplifier to use with the fronts. Any suggestions on a good amp that's not too costly? :D