Armagedon? NAD gear now looks stylish [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Armagedon? NAD gear now looks stylish

Ajani
01-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Sorry guys but I couldn't resist starting this thread when I saw the new NAD Viso 2 and 5 receivers....

When did NAD move from the ugly grey box to making stylish equipment?

First the Master's series looked top notch (finish wise), then the Visio range look pretty swanky....and now even the C series with the ugly grey boxes are being updated with Titanium and Graphite finishes (which is pretty close to the standard silver and black options of most companies)....

I guess times really are changing...

Feanor
01-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Sorry guys but I couldn't resist starting this thread when I saw the new NAD Viso 2 and 5 receivers....

When did NAD move from the ugly grey box to making stylish equipment?

First the Master's series looked top notch (finish wise), then the Visio range look pretty swanky....and now even the C series with the ugly grey boxes are being updated with Titanium and Graphite finishes (which is pretty close to the standard silver and black options of most companies)....

I guess times really are changing...

I rather liked the quasi-military look NAD had in the '80s, but the look of the last decade has been really dismal. The Master series has a lot more originality than the former top-of-the-line, Silver series, and the VISO is very striking.

kexodusc
01-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Hmmm, not bad.
This'll take some getting used to though, NAD's have looked pretty much the same to me for 20+ years.

Rock&Roll Ninja
01-27-2008, 08:20 PM
NAD has always looked good. Their rugged good looks were the counterpoint to an industry full of glossy, bejewelled dandies.

As Peter Stormare might say: "Un-pimp your stereo!"
http://www.cscout.com/blog/data/vc2_unpimp.JPGhttp://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/78/ef/74/20662408-177x150-0-0.jpg

Ajani
02-06-2008, 10:58 AM
NAD has always looked good. Their rugged good looks were the counterpoint to an industry full of glossy, bejewelled dandies.

As Peter Stormare might say: "Un-pimp your stereo!"

Nothing was wrong with the rugged styling.... but the colour choice was IMO intentionally dull... Why not just paint the box Black or Silver like most brands? I suspect that NAD wanted their gear to stick out from the crowd, but didn't wan't to be considered stylish (since that would defeat their whole claim of no money spent on fancy finishes)...

I suspect they probably spent as much money on the minimalist design and boring but for the most part inoffensive Grey box look, as other manufacturers spent on pimping their designs....