Lordy, Lordy, whatever will I do? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lordy, Lordy, whatever will I do?

emaidel
01-26-2008, 06:03 AM
As I continue to enjoy listening to my system, I believe I've found the perfect blending of components that give me the sound I've been trying to achieve for years and years. I've often talked about how pleased I am with my Dual CS-5000, and how it's far and away the best sounding turntable I've ever owned. Still, I prefer the sound of CD's to it, and by a considerable margin.

While my CD equipment isn't earth shattering, it's still very, very good. It's an Adcom GCD-600 changer connected (now, with a German-made digital coax cable from a defunct company with the same name as another [Benchmark Audio]) to an Adcom GDA-600, which is connected to my pre-amp with Kimber solid silver cables. The sound from this combination of stuff is striking: none of the harshness or shrill characteristics often attributed to CD's, and even old CD's, which I thought sounded crummy when I first bought them over 20 years ago, actually sound pretty good. When I A/B a CD and and LP on the same material, even when such a comparison in the past favored the LP, the CD all but eats the LP's lunch.

My speakers, as I've often posted (or, perhaps, "boasted") are Dahlquist DQ-10's with completely rebuilt woofers (by Regnar), and still sound wonderful. The sub (Definitive Technology SP-15F) is now about 6 years old, and provides a fine match to the 10's.

But what, oh Lordy, Lordy, am I going to do when something breaks? My amp (Adcom GFA-5800) is now at least 12 years old, and my preamp (Parasound PLD-1100) is about 8 years old, as is the then TOTL Parasound tuner (don't know the model number off hand). And, while I've only owned the CS-5000 for a couple of months now, it too is probably 20 years old.

Everything works just fine (save a burned out light, or a stuck On/Off switch), but sooner or later something's going to up and die on me, and then I'll have to replace it. But the question looms, "Replace it with WHAT?"

I suspect, that when the time comes to do that, it's going to cost me a bundle. I purchased everything I own (save the CS-5000) at a 50% discount, as I was "in the business" when I bought each item. I'm now retired, so I can't possibly hope for such a discount again.

Right now, everything still works and sounds fine. When the day comes that the amp blows up, or the CD player stops functioning, I'll look to the advice of AR members as to what to do. Most of you have been really useful in this category for others asking similar questions, and I have no doubt you'll direct me to some really good values. In the meantime, I'll just consider myself lucky that nothing's broken!

bobsticks
01-26-2008, 06:11 AM
Start saving now and remember the name "Shahinian".

You're system does sound smooth...

basite
01-26-2008, 06:29 AM
remember the name "Shahinian".

ooh yeah, I always liked the look of those Obelisks :)

never heard them though, but I'm sure they'll sound awesome :cornut:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
01-26-2008, 06:58 AM
Hey Bert,

While shopping for turntables I met a chap who raved and raved about Shahinians, acquired after being a Dahlquist owner for a decade. His enthusiasm was such that I just had to hear and I can say that, in the right room, they're pleasing.

Ajani seems to be more about euphony than total accuracy and being a former dealer could probably optimize the set-up on a pair of them bad boys. Didn't really learn the ins-and-outs of them but I'll tell you they made Vince Guaraldi sound fine.

Cheers

basite
01-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey Bert,

While shopping for turntables I met a chap who raved and raved about Shahinians

Shopping for turntables Mark?

tell us more :ihih:

what'cha looking at?

Tentoze (yes, an AR member, but he's more on AK), has a set of obelisks, he likes them alot too :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Slippers On
01-26-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi emaidel,

I too have a lot of 'not so new' stuff. My secret is to gather spares around me, normally from ebay. When I buy, even a new piece, I sometimes go to great lengths to get Circuit diagrams, magazine reviews, internet information and the likes. Anything that might help an electronic engineer in the future. For example I tracked down the full build instructions and circuit diagrams from Japan for some 1984 amps I have, (Luxman)....they are written in Japanese language and stretch to 25 x A3 pages.

I find that the emergance of ebay has made it easier to gather spare valves, speaker crossovers, remote controls, cartridges, styli etc. This collecting gives me total peace of mind and as long as I look after my gear it continues to work. If I can't get spares then I may consider seeking out a second unit to keep for spares. It is not as expensive or difficult as you might think because in today's 'throw-away' society there are bargains to be had out there.

One other benefit of collecting spares and info is that should I wish to sell any of it I get a good price because I can include the same peace of mind with the sale.

The other important factor is to get a good local audio-engineer that you're happy with. I recently moved country and made a point of dropping in a couple of items for service into different workshops until I found a "good-guy".

Good luck with your equipment

Slippers On

Ajani
01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Hey Bert,

While shopping for turntables I met a chap who raved and raved about Shahinians, acquired after being a Dahlquist owner for a decade. His enthusiasm was such that I just had to hear and I can say that, in the right room, they're pleasing.

Ajani seems to be more about euphony than total accuracy and being a former dealer could probably optimize the set-up on a pair of them bad boys. Didn't really learn the ins-and-outs of them but I'll tell you they made Vince Guaraldi sound fine.

Cheers

Me? Cool... I always wanted to be a dealer.... that might actually be an interesting career change....