Rock and Roller Paul Simon wins first Library of Congress Gershwin Prize [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rock and Roller Paul Simon wins first Library of Congress Gershwin Prize

markw
01-25-2008, 06:48 PM
"Paul Simon, one of America’s most respected songwriters and musicians, will be the recipient of the first annual Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. Named in honor of the legendary George and Ira Gershwin, this newly created award recognizes the profound and positive effect of popular music on the world’s culture. The prize will be given annually to a composer or performer whose lifetime contributions exemplify the standard of excellence associated with the Gershwins."

http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2007/07-010.html

Not bad for a no-class rock and roller from the streets of New York City who, BTW. was born in Newark New Jersey, just like me!

blackraven
01-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I'm sorry you had to be born in New Jersey. NYC rules! LOL. I grew up in the Flatbush, Canarcie area of Brooklyn. And just when will NJ stop stealing NYC's sports teams!

markw
01-25-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm sorry you had to be born in New Jersey. NYC rules! LOL. I grew up in the Flatbush, Canarcie area of Brooklyn. And just when will NJ stop stealing NYC's sports teams!It's not our fault that they like us better. ;)

Brooklyn, eh? I'll bet y'all have a huge one for Los Angles, eh?

SlumpBuster
01-25-2008, 07:47 PM
My musical developement was guided in large part by various tapes that would find their way into my possession, usually from my older siblings. One of the most important tapes I got in my young development was sent to me by my sister while she was in college and I was still in junior high. Side one, Paul Simon - Graceland, Side Two - A mix of the Kinks. This would be 1987ish. Almost twenty years after The Graduate. I'd never heard of Paul Simon and only knew the Kinks from the "Come Dancing" video on MTV and the Van Halen cover. At the time I was immersed in all things hair metal - Poison, Cinderella ect. This tape flipped my lid. I still have it, and still regularly play it. "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" is still one of my favorite songs of all time. I still don't have a proper copy of Graceland on LP or CD. The tape just always seems to give me my fix.

Not too bad for a rock and roller. I had heard that there has been nothing good since Sinatra. Oh, and his SNL appearances aren't too shabby.

blackraven
01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Graceland is a kick ass CD!