Anybody check out new Malkmus, Black Mountain, Ladyhawk, etc. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody check out new Malkmus, Black Mountain, Ladyhawk, etc.

Slosh
01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Besides me?

New Malko is growing on me but I like Face The Truth and his debut a whole lot better at this point. Real Emotional Trash is much more jammy, akin to Pig Lib. Even so I'll most likely be nabbing the CD or LP this spring.

In The Future and Shots I haven't spent much time with but sound like natural progressions from their debut albums to me.

NP:

Davey
01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Just got Black Mountain and British Sea Power (I know, you didn't ask if I checked out BSP) in the mail today. Film at 11 (after I dry them off and give em a listen). Did I mention that it's raining a lot here? Got the latest from Six By Seven on the way too, kind of a reunion from their prime lineup, but that's from last year.

Also picked up Robert Sawyer's Rollback from the library. Read anything good lately? Had this one on my hold list for awhile now. Must've been some slow readers ahead of me.

Davey
01-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Just got Black Mountain and British Sea Power (I know, you didn't ask if I checked out BSP) in the mail today. Film at 11 ....

Wow, a couple listens in and I love the Black Mountain already. Definitely a nice progression from the debut, as you said. More Buffalo Springfield on some of the songs, but they still have the hard stoner rock Black Sabbath going on, and a bit of Jefferson Airplane, especially with Amber singing more on this one. But a more epic sound this time, more Pink Floyd, with the styles more integrated into the songs. The jamming more concise. A bit like a southern rock version of Radiohead, as strange sounding as that may be (they did tour with Coldplay, so maybe it isn't all that strange). "Evil Ways" sounds almost like a Sabbath / ELP mashup, with the cheezy 70s synths and big drums and heavy riffs. Nothing new here, that's for sure. Could almost be a classic if they had a great singer to match the dynamics of the music, like many of those 70s bands they otherwise emulate so well. Guess you could probably say that about most good modern bands.

Their label also had the good sense to buy up the Bon Iver record "For Emma, Forever Ago" from late last year, and give it a bigger release. Haven't heard the whole thing, but it's all acoustic, ala that first Iron and Wine, but a much better recording, and nice, falsetto leaning voice. Good stuff. Just pre-ordered it. Snuck onto some savvy blogger best of 2007 lists, so should make a good splash for the guy with a wide-scale release.

Slosh
01-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Another new toy: got myself a Pioneer Elite DV-48AV for next to nothing. Got it primarily because it plays DivX and PAL DVDs, but also sends raw DSD and MLP over HDMI (plus up-converts 480i to720p/1080i/1080p) so not surprisingly I've been playing my SACDs and DVD-A discs all over again. Technology is awesome sometimes! even for dead formats :(

Anyhow, yeah, In The Future is definitely a good start to 2008.

I was at a friend's earlier and he was playing this on vinyl: (sometimes I forget you have to revisit your roots). Good stuff that fits right in with Black Mountain :)

nobody
01-30-2008, 05:32 AM
Listening to and liking that Black Mountain right now. A little meandering for me at times, but some great riffs. My favorite song is all the way at the end of the bonus disc, Black Cat. If they could marry those guitar riff they bring to the table with the sludge and propulsion of that track for a whole album, they'd be my new favorite band.