10 best new bands in music today [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 10 best new bands in music today

Davey
03-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Just stopped by http://www.kingblind.com/ today and see a couple Rave Recs favorites made it onto Kingblind’s guide to the 10 best new bands in music today, the much hyped around here British Sea Power and the starting to get hyped around here TV on the Radio (who I've only heard one song by so far). Prefuse 73 (a chrisnz/nobody fave?) and a couple others have gotten mentions around here too (didn't somebody talk about the Dirtbombs before?). Last time I mentioned the Kingblind site here he sent me a nice email and I know that he's registered here. It's a well maintained site with lots of daily news items, reviews, downloads and the occasional feature such as the guide. Always interesting, even if our tastes aren't in complete alignment all the time :)

MindGoneHaywire
03-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Wow. A copy of the High Strung album crossed my desk a few weeks ago & for some reason it just looked like something I'd like so I took a closer look at it than I do at some other things that I get my paws on. And I'm looking at it, and the drummer looked awful familiar...I played in a band with the guy a few years ago, which I had to bow out of when I got sick, not long after which he left. I think they used to call themselves the Masons...the record's not bad, but I must say I'm surprised to see them at the top of a list like that. Hey, good for them. Derek was a good guy & I enjoyed playing w/him. The stuff about where they lived & when is a bit fudged, at least in his case, but who cares. I guess there's cred in saying you're from Detroit these days, & that is where they're from originally, so what the hey. Most of the other names on that list are not familiar, but I did see IMA Robot on Jimmy Kimmel a few months ago & was severely underwhelmed. I did kinda expect something good considering the rhythm section was the same unit that's played with Beck for years, but it sounded like the Bloodbrothers more than anything else to me & that stuff just don't do it for me. If you're reading this & don't know what I'm talking about, these bands have been referred to as 'screamo,' which is obviously a play on 'emo,' except the vocals are all screeched, no melody, just atonal screeching. I've heard plenty of that over the years used for effect, & it can be good when used that way, but when that's the approach through all the songs, 'check, please,' as they say, for me. Screamo. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Except these bands do have followings, and in some cases are on major labels. Hey, whatever floats yr boat.

-Jar-
03-03-2004, 10:48 AM
The Dirtbombs appeared on CRS v 3.5 (the Leftovers), which was a track I selected. :)

Jim Clark
03-03-2004, 11:51 AM
BSP is performing tonight at the Bottleneck in Lawrence. I was fully prepared to go until my visit to the dentist Monday morning turned into a nightmare and I learned that the next visit is going to cost about 800.00 out of pocket. I hate dentists.

I'm wondering how bad I really need these two teeth.

jc

tentoze
03-03-2004, 12:42 PM
BSP is performing tonight at the Bottleneck in Lawrence. I was fully prepared to go until my visit to the dentist Monday morning turned into a nightmare and I learned that the next visit is going to cost about 800.00 out of pocket. I hate dentists.

I'm wondering how bad I really need these two teeth.

jc
Given the choice, mushy food ain't all that bad, Jim.............

:p

kingblind
03-03-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey there.. This is MBlind from http://www.kingblind.com
I am very good friends with The High Strung..They ARE from Detriot .(Derek included). It's not something they are "fudging" for good press.. Anyways thanks for talking about Kingblind.. Hope the piece can turn some people onto some cool new music. thanks again..

Mblind
Kingblind: Music, Art and Entertainment
http://www.kingblind.com

Stone
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Just stopped by http://www.kingblind.com/ today and see a couple Rave Recs favorites made it onto Kingblind’s guide to the 10 best new bands in music today, the much hyped around here British Sea Power and the starting to get hyped around here TV on the Radio (who I've only heard one song by so far). Prefuse 73 (a chrisnz/nobody fave?) and a couple others have gotten mentions around here too (didn't somebody talk about the Dirtbombs before?). Last time I mentioned the Kingblind site here he sent me a nice email and I know that he's registered here. It's a well maintained site with lots of daily news items, reviews, downloads and the occasional feature such as the guide. Always interesting, even if our tastes aren't in complete alignment all the time :)

My prediction: Franz Ferdinand will be one of the next hyped bands around here.

MindGoneHaywire
03-03-2004, 04:01 PM
I don't know about the rest of the band, but I know Derek was living in Brooklyn in 1998 & 1999 when I was playing with him. If the High Strung grew out of the Masons, then whoever is involved was living here in NYC, also. I mean, I don't mean to be an a-hole about it, but I know he wasn't living in Detroit when he was playing in two bands in NYC. When I got sick I became disabled & haven't seen him in about 4 years. I saw their website when I got the album but chose not to write only because you never know who checks the email, especially on the road. I may do so, however; I'd like to know when they're playing in NYC, I'll go check 'em out. If you are close with them, and care to pass a message along, please let Derek know that a bass player who knows him as 'Distracto' from our days with "Johnny 3000" wishes him well.

mblind
03-03-2004, 04:42 PM
I don't know about the rest of the band, but I know Derek was living in Brooklyn in 1998 & 1999 when I was playing with him. If the High Strung grew out of the Masons, then whoever is involved was living here in NYC, also. I mean, I don't mean to be an a-hole about it, but I know he wasn't living in Detroit when he was playing in two bands in NYC. When I got sick I became disabled & haven't seen him in about 4 years. I saw their website when I got the album but chose not to write only because you never know who checks the email, especially on the road. I may do so, however; I'd like to know when they're playing in NYC, I'll go check 'em out. If you are close with them, and care to pass a message along, please let Derek know that a bass player who knows him as 'Distracto' from our days with "Johnny 3000" wishes him well.

I will let em' Know that you said hello. You aren't being an A-hole.. No worries.
and thanks again to everyone for the kind words on Kingblind.. Stay tuned.. Tons more on the way!

Dusty Chalk
03-03-2004, 08:02 PM
I dig Ima Robot. Catchy spastic faux-punk. I'm seriously considering putting their album in my top 10 from last year.

Jim Clark
03-03-2004, 08:24 PM

"the Scottish Interpol." Yeah I was thinking of checking it out!

jc

Davey
03-04-2004, 04:26 PM
If the whole album is like that Darts of Pleasure mp3 available for download at their site then I'd have to agree that they're gonna be a popular band around Rave Recs Land. That's a damn cool song. Have you heard the whole album? They do seem to be getting a ton of the usual overboard UK hype. Looking forward to hearing lots more. I'll take this kind of retro UK sound over something like the Darkness any day of the week!

What do ya think about the new Walkmen? I don't have it but love that Rat song. Sounds almost like some Trail of Dead influence. I did listen to a couple other songs they have at their site and wasn't all that impressed though. Seems to be a lot of critics praising it highly, even moreso than the last one. Another that I'm reluctant to pull the trigger on. I know Darius really liked the first one but I only heard the single from it so don't know about it either. Come to think of it, what do I know about? I do have two CDs from 2004 now, but didn't buy either. Oh well, maybe I'll catch up later........

http://www.franzferdinand.addr.com/listen.htm