Technics turntable/SME tonearm [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Technics turntable/SME tonearm

BOXMAN
01-25-2008, 10:21 AM
I am pondering restoring my old technics turntable. It is a Manual drive piece. I have a SME tonearm on it. I felt the SME tonearm was high quality back when I enjoyed it many years ago. I am wanting to get back into the vinyl thing. Is it worth restoring? If so, do you recommend anybody that can do the job?

emaidel
01-25-2008, 01:20 PM
The SME arms are outstanding, and Technics motors are built like tanks and will likely never wear out. When you say "restore," does that mean that the combo doesn't work? If it does, and it's just a matter of cleaning up a few things, and perhaps installing a new cartridge, I'd say go for it!

BOXMAN
01-25-2008, 02:55 PM
The SME arms are outstanding, and Technics motors are built like tanks and will likely never wear out. When you say "restore," does that mean that the combo doesn't work? If it does, and it's just a matter of cleaning up a few things, and perhaps installing a new cartridge, I'd say go for it!

Thanks for the tip!! It is in working condition... It is just very dirty and needs some TLC....... I called the turntable factory and they are very familiar with the Technics SL120 model... he also said I should keep my setup and he can just clean it. I have the SME 3009 tonearm. I never knew how "highly acclaimed" the SME tonearms were/are......He is going to put a shure cartridge in it and I should be set....... very cool!

emaidel
01-26-2008, 05:37 AM
I think you'll be very happy with the results. Have fun!