720P vs 1080P NEED ADVICE [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 720P vs 1080P NEED ADVICE

SAGENT
01-25-2008, 09:12 AM
I've been looking to upgrade to a new plasma and can't decide on which resolution to go with. I've narrowed it down to either a Pioneer PDP-5080HD 720p plasma or an LG
50PY3D 1080p, both 50" sets.

Viewing distance in present house would be about 8-10 feet from TV.

I have family members working for a large consumer electronics chain and I should be able to get very good price on either but the 1080p would still be abt $ 400 more. I don't plan on buying a blu-ray player anytime soon.

From the reviews I can find on the Pioneer, it sounds as though the 1080p is a waste of money.

Any advice or experience with either TV is appreciated

GMichael
01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi, Welcome to AR.

If you never go Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (if it lives) then 1080p just may be a waste. But if you ever change your mind, you'd be glad to already have it. It is better than 720 with the right source.
What means more to you? The extra cash, or knowing that you are ready for the future when it gets here? It's a very personal choice, and you'll get many answers on both sides that seem to make sense.:idea:

johnny p
01-25-2008, 10:18 AM
I have a 720p set, and I have a PS3 (Blu Ray, got it three days ago, haven't plugged it in yet) I do plan on upgrading, and given the fact that I have a pretty decent collection of regular DVDs, and paid more for other things I find far less important than my t.v., I've been questioned on why I went 720p......

here's my reasoning.... I got my 720p Sharp Aquos LCD television 2 years ago, maybe longer.... 1080p was available, but I did my research and I found, that at the time, the best I was going to get from standard DVD with Component was 480p, and I'm not terribly into television, so I wasn't about to pay a cable or satellite provider an extra $30 a month or so for a limited number of HD broadcasted stations. Since the Price jump was so great from 720P to 1080P, I got the 720p, and vowed, that one day when I began viewing a large amount of material that I was capable of 1080p (whether that be television packages went all-HD at no extra cost, or whatever, I didn't know two years ago) So, Now I have a blu-ray player, but I'm not running out to get a 1080p, I'm gonna build up my collection of Blu Ray DVDs FIRST Then, I'll to 1080p I'm sure the upconversion alone on the Blu-ray player will be nice for my existing standard DVD collection..... and since there aren't that many Blu-Ray discs available right now that I'm chomping at the bit to buy, (I picked up 17 yesterday however) I'll wait, and get my 50" 1080P LCD for $800 in a year or so, and be just as happy as can be!!!!

Everyone here knows how fast electronics depreciate/lose value. Put the $400 difference into a Blu-Ray player..... I know you're saying that you're not planning on Blu-Ray anytime soon.... why not get the most out of a really nice, big 720p ??? And if you have netflix, etc. you can get Blu-Rays from them, and never buy any.... that's your choice.

I know I had a 720p t.v. for over two years that has never displayed an image greater than 480p, and today, or tomorrow when I get my HDMI cable in the mail, and get a chance to check out 720p, I'll wonder what I did without it, but the LCD was an upgrade over my old Sony flat-screen tube t.v., and I am glad I got the 720p back then, and not pay WAY MORE for a 1080p that only received a 480p signal!

Sorry... long winded, but If I were you, it sounds like you'd be pretty content with just 720p

If you're planning on a lot of HD content, then I would have said 1080p, b/c once you get to screen sizes in the 40's and up, 1080p becomes a lot more noticable difference than 720p

Good luck!

zepman1
01-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I would get the 1080p if it was me. I am in the market shortly for another tv, probably 50" plasma or LCD. The premium for 1080p is not what it used to be, and I would like to maximize the performance of Bluray and my cable tv. You will never regret getting 1080p, but might regret not getting it.

On another note...

Can someone please explain/clarify the benefits of upconverting standard DVD's with a bluray player? It does not make sense to me how this is improving anything.

I have a 720p 50" LCD. When I watch DVD's from my standard DVD player, doesn't the TV have to convert everything to the its native resolution of 720p? So it upconverts the signal already. What is an upconverting DVD player going to add to that?

And besides, upconverting adds no additional information to the signal, so how does it improve it anyhow? If the picture is 480p on the disc, there is no more resolution available than that. If anything wouldn't the upconverting process be adding artifacts to the picture that should not be there?

GMichael
01-25-2008, 11:53 AM
You are correct. It's just that the BR player does a better job of upconverting than most TV's. Be sure to set the output of the BR player to match the natural res of your TV. It doesn't help to convert 480 to 1080 just so that your TV has to convert that to 720.

BRANDONH
01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi, Welcome to AR.

If you never go Blu-Ray or HD-DVD (if it lives) then 1080p just may be a waste. But if you ever change your mind, you'd be glad to already have it. It is better than 720 with the right source.
What means more to you? The extra cash, or knowing that you are ready for the future when it gets here? It's a very personal choice, and you'll get many answers on both sides that seem to make sense.:idea:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6810011-1.html

http://www.projectorcentral.com/1080p_720p.htm

zepman1
01-25-2008, 12:31 PM
You are correct. It's just that the BR player does a better job of upconverting than most TV's. Be sure to set the output of the BR player to match the natural res of your TV. It doesn't help to convert 480 to 1080 just so that your TV has to convert that to 720.

Thanks, that is sort of what I thought. I guess it just depends on the relative quality of the upconverting in the TV versus the bluray player. Probably makes no difference with the budget players, but maybe some gains when using higher performance models. Kind of like comparing DAC's in audio.

And yes, that makes sense to upconvert to only 720p or you are just over-processing the picture.

Groundbeef
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
II know I had a 720p t.v. for over two years that has never displayed an image greater than 480p,

Why didn't you go get a OTA (Over The Air) receiver and get your local (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX, PBS) channels HD for free? I've been doing it for 4 years, and I have DirecTV. The over the air signal is clean, uncompressed, and AWESOME. A converter (if you TV doesn't have one) is cheap usually between $50-100.

You really need to get your TV hooked up and see what you've been missing. Your tax $$ helped pay for it, so you might as well enjoy them.

johnny p
01-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Why didn't you go get a OTA (Over The Air) receiver and get your local (NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX, PBS) channels HD for free? I've been doing it for 4 years, and I have DirecTV. The over the air signal is clean, uncompressed, and AWESOME. A converter (if you TV doesn't have one) is cheap usually between $50-100.

You really need to get your TV hooked up and see what you've been missing. Your tax $$ helped pay for it, so you might as well enjoy them.

Got my HDMI cable...... watching BLU RAY, AWESOME.... sound quality is blowing me away also...... I never got the antenna because there was never a good signal to be had with it anyways..... not sure why, maybe it's darned Lake-Erie (I'm on the lake)

MAN the picture and sound are awesome....... What took me so long to get this!!!!!!!!! haha!!! I'll give updates on my take of up-converting etc. later.... right now I'm going to enjoy!!!

pixelthis
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Got my HDMI cable...... watching BLU RAY, AWESOME.... sound quality is blowing me away also...... I never got the antenna because there was never a good signal to be had with it anyways..... not sure why, maybe it's darned Lake-Erie (I'm on the lake)

MAN the picture and sound are awesome....... What took me so long to get this!!!!!!!!! haha!!! I'll give updates on my take of up-converting etc. later.... right now I'm going to enjoy!!!

I was going to say, a 720 or 1080p set without an HD source is like a nice new car without gas.

If your set has an atsc tuner all you need is an antenna (uhf) from ratshack(external)
but HD weather over a dish or cable is definetly worth the extra bucks:1:

pixelthis
01-26-2008, 10:18 PM
As for 720 vs 1080p, get the 1080p if you can afford it.
you wont regret it, but you WILL regret the other sooner or later.
Always get as much capability as you can afford, its easier to get it when you get a new product, than after you get the product.
A plasma doesnt last as long as an LCD but ten years is a long time, I'm sure you'll be wanting 1080p sooner or later.
Also make sure your new set has 24fps "pixel for pixel", this is important, gets rid of 3:2 pulldown, its also called 72 fps (each frame of a 24 fps picture displayed three times= 72fps) so movies will look perfect:1:

diggity
01-27-2008, 04:29 AM
G'day, i think it is probably best to future proof yourself and 1080p.. like pixel already said, there is NOTHING worse then not getting it and in a few years time think "i only i got....". it has happened to me in the not so distanced past. it is better to spend abit more than waste abit less.

i also just purchased PS3 today and the picture and sound ROCKS. equal to my BDPS1 player but half the price!

cheers: dazza

pixelthis
01-28-2008, 12:34 AM
G'day, i think it is probably best to future proof yourself and 1080p.. like pixel already said, there is NOTHING worse then not getting it and in a few years time think "i only i got....". it has happened to me in the not so distanced past. it is better to spend abit more than waste abit less.

i also just purchased PS3 today and the picture and sound ROCKS. equal to my BDPS1 player but half the price!

Happened to me also, but wasnt my fault.
When I GOT MY SET most 1080p sets wouldnt take an 1080p input, which was screwy, IMHO. Not to mention most were DLP:1:

GMichael
01-28-2008, 06:26 AM
As for 720 vs 1080p, get the 1080p if you can afford it.
you wont regret it, but you WILL regret the other sooner or later.
Always get as much capability as you can afford, its easier to get it when you get a new product, than after you get the product.
A plasma doesnt last as long as an LCD but ten years is a long time, I'm sure you'll be wanting 1080p sooner or later.
Also make sure your new set has 24fps "pixel for pixel", this is important, gets rid of 3:2 pulldown, its also called 72 fps (each frame of a 24 fps picture displayed three times= 72fps) so movies will look perfect:1:

Somebody help me! This post made sense to me. I must be slipping.

pixelthis
01-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Somebody help me! This post made sense to me. I must be slipping.

ALL of my posts "make sense".
This was just a rare time that you understood one.
I'll try to keep it simple for you in the future so you can keep up:1:

GMichael
01-29-2008, 06:13 AM
ALL of my posts "make sense".
This was just a rare time that you understood one.
I'll try to keep it simple for you in the future so you can keep up:1:

Thanks,
Simple is good. Please leave out as much gibberish as possible from now on. Coherent thought is a good thing.:1:

f0rge
01-31-2008, 12:54 PM
i'd also say get 1080p, like it's been say before, you'll end up regretting it if you dont.

also the idea that plasma's dont last as long as LCDs is wrong, panasonic claims 100,000 hour lifespan on the new vieras, that's 11 years of continuous use. it's unlikely you'll ever watch that much tv.

diggity
02-01-2008, 12:53 AM
i'd also say get 1080p, like it's been say before, you'll end up regretting it if you dont.

also the idea that plasma's dont last as long as LCDs is wrong, panasonic claims 100,000 hour lifespan on the new vieras, that's 11 years of continuous use. it's unlikely you'll ever watch that much tv.

very true, i dont know who started that myth its just bollocks. but i think they are talking about the actual gas panel, surely they dont mean the computer boards and processors. i rate the pana very highly. i bought it over the pioneer, the picture quality is definitely punching above weight.

codecougar
02-01-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree, go 1080P. You will undoubtedly end up getting a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player down the road. It just makes sense to get a 1080P television especially with a 50" set.

blackraven
02-02-2008, 02:36 PM
The new consumer reports just came out with reviews of LCD and Plasma TV's. They recommended getting a 1080p TV for 50" and above, but below 50" they said that 780p is just as good due to the screen size. In fact, they rated a few 780p TV's with better and clearer pictures than some 1080p sets. However they stated that when watching good blu-ray movies you might be able to see some subtle differences.

Go with 1080p!

O'Shag
02-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Does a 16/44 cd sound as good as a 96/24bit recording of the same piece? Some would have us believe higher resolution doesn't matter, and that there is no difference. My advice is to use your own common sense... Same goes for 720p and 1080p. Even 1080i looks superior to 720p. And only those with a sight problem or in denial will say otherwise. And as far as screen size relevance goes, thats a load of hogwash. In addition to my large set, I have a Loewe Aconda 40" tube set. The difference between 480p/720p and 1080i is immediately noticable. There is no comparison. Sorry to those folks that own 720p sets or projectors. No offense intended. My current set is the Sony KDS-R70XBR2 SXRD TV. Its native resolution is 1080p, and I've yet to see any TV set with the same incredible resolution as this SXRD set, such is its resolving power. As you probably know by now, Sony is no longer making SXRD RPTV sets, mores the pity.

SAGENT
02-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Seems it would be most prudent to go with the 1080p set. Now my next question would be what brand to go with ? I would like to stay in the $ 2500-3000 MSRP range. Anyone have any good-bad expierience with the LG-Panasonics- Samsungs in that range ?

pixelthis
02-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks,
Simple is good. Please leave out as much gibberish as possible from now on. Coherent thought is a good thing.:1:

I dont use "gibberish", thats just what your brain translates it into.
And yes, coherent thought is a good thing, however its rarely used on this board,
and using it makes you a target for vicious attacks.
Like teaching evolution to hillbillies:1:

blackraven
02-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Go with a panasonic plasma. They are always top rated and have the best pictures in that price range in my book. Consumer reports rates them above the other brands. Stay away from the new plasma's with antiglare coatings though. their pictures are not as bright.

pixelthis
02-05-2008, 02:54 AM
Go with a panasonic plasma. They are always top rated and have the best pictures in that price range in my book. Consumer reports rates them above the other brands. Stay away from the new plasma's with antiglare coatings though. their pictures are not as bright.

Stay away from plasma PERIOD.
HEAVY, USES A LOT OF ENERGY, SUBJECT TO BURN IN, lifespan half that of a LCD,
if that gas leaks out you lose your picture, if tyhat heavy glass envelope falls off the wall
you lose any small dogs or children that are under it at the time.
DOES HAVE A COOL NAME THO:1:

GMichael
02-05-2008, 06:05 AM
I dont use "gibberish", thats just what your brain translates it into.
And yes, coherent thought is a good thing, however its rarely used on this board,
and using it makes you a target for vicious attacks.
Like teaching evolution to hillbillies:1:

That's right Pix. It's not you. It's the rest of the world.
If you say that enough times you may start to believe it. Oops. Too late, isn't it?:idea:

GMichael
02-05-2008, 06:06 AM
if that gas leaks out you lose your picture, if tyhat heavy glass envelope falls off the wall

And a better picture with better colors and better black levels.

Duds
02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
at 8-10 feet with a 50" tv, you will not notice the difference between 768 and 1080. My brother just got the 5080, and I will be purchasing one very soon. It is an absolutely amazing tv. Since you will not be getting into blu-ray anytime soon, you have no reason to get 1080.

Duds
02-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Its not most prudent to go with 1080p. Seriously, do yourself a favor, go to a high end shop who has the 5080 next to a 1080p model, such as the 5010 or the 1150, and watch the same hi-def cable feed. you will not be able to tell the difference.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems it would be most prudent to go with the 1080p set. Now my next question would be what brand to go with ? I would like to stay in the $ 2500-3000 MSRP range. Anyone have any good-bad expierience with the LG-Panasonics- Samsungs in that range ?

Duds
02-05-2008, 08:21 AM
What a stupid post

Duds
02-05-2008, 08:23 AM
The way technology changes these days, you will never buy a TV if you have the mentality of "If I only got this" If you sit around waiting for the next best thing, you will never make a purchase.

johnny p
02-05-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd say under 45" or so, stick to a 720p and save some cash..... also, because of the bit-rate, etc. a GOOD higher end model of 720p will look better than a 1080p vizio..... I've seen it, I know.

blackraven
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I'd say under 45" or so, stick to a 720p and save some cash..... also, because of the bit-rate, etc. a GOOD higher end model of 720p will look better than a 1080p vizio..... I've seen it, I know.

I agree, I've looked at 40 and 46" 1080P and 720P TV's side by side and from 6' away you could not tell the difference. And a good 720p set will look better than an average 1080p set for sure.

O'shag, how can you say that screen size doesnt matter? It sure does, but you have to take into consideration how close you are to the TV.
And Pix, as far as energy use goes, the difference for a years use of an LCD vs Plasma is minimal. Look at this months consumer reports
A 52" LCD costs $80/yr, a 1080p 50" plasma $110/yr. If you have to worry about $30 per year more on the electric bill then you cant afford the TV!

pixelthis
02-06-2008, 01:43 AM
What a stupid post

And basically true.
Which is probably why you think its stupid

pixelthis
02-06-2008, 01:47 AM
And a better picture with better colors and better black levels.

And you have to watch it in the dark because of the glare off of the screen.
And the picture isnt any better than any other display , in some respects its worse.
Good or bad, you can watch that "better" picture with the news scroll burned into the bottom of the screen because you fell asleep watching CNN:1:

Duds
02-06-2008, 04:31 AM
Not even close to being true.

And basically true.
Which is probably why you think its stupid

Duds
02-06-2008, 04:33 AM
It's 2008, not 1998. Burn in is no longer an issue with plasma. And the TV the op is considering, the Pioneer 5080, has a pixel orbiter that makes any chance of burn in a non issue.

And the picture isnt any better than any other display , in some respects its worse.
Good or bad, you can watch that "better" picture with the news scroll burned into the bottom of the screen because you fell asleep watching CNN:1:

GMichael
02-06-2008, 06:32 AM

In the dark? Nope, never have any trouble with watching my dad's in the middle of the day. The glare problem has been greatly reduced. Don't you keep up with modern technical news?
The picture is better than LCD. LCD does have other advantages, but picture quality isn't one of them.
Burn in is not a factor the way it used to be either. Again, keep up with the improvements of both types if you are going to try to compare them for others to read.

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 01:14 AM
It's 2008, not 1998. Burn in is no longer an issue with plasma. And the TV the op is considering, the Pioneer 5080, has a pixel orbiter that makes any chance of burn in a non issue.

YEAH, burn in is a "non issue".
Thats why they had to design something like a "pixel orbiter" and pay the expense
to put it in

pixelthis
02-07-2008, 01:26 AM
In the dark? Nope, never have any trouble with watching my dad's in the middle of the day. The glare problem has been greatly reduced. Don't you keep up with modern technical news?
The picture is better than LCD. LCD does have other advantages, but picture quality isn't one of them.
Burn in is not a factor the way it used to be either. Again, keep up with the improvements of both types if you are going to try to compare them for others to read.

YOU keep up with the "technical news", mainly that they are having a problem keeping the gas in these glass envelopes.
Plasmas require more energy, use thousands of volts to run, have half the lifespan
of an LCd, and have you noticed that they are comparably priced with LCD?
this is because LCD is kicking plasmas butt in the market.
Its the same all over in this hobby, one way of doing things (plasma) is finicky, prone to problems, costs more, and is more difficult to use, so it MUST be better!
This is the same mentality that prefers turntables over digital music, and tubes over solid state.
The only reason we have plasma AT ALL is because the marketing advantage of a flat screen caused it
to be rushed to market.
Funny about how some talk about the "great picture", plasma has always had problems with black level.
And they emit ultraviolet radiation.
Some might think the picture is "better", fooey, that is their opinion.
And opinions are like a**holes, everybodies got one and most stink.
Plasma will be pretty much GONE in a year, two tops.:1:

GMichael
02-07-2008, 06:40 AM
YOU keep up with the "technical news", mainly that they are having a problem keeping the gas in these glass envelopes.
Plasmas require more energy, use thousands of volts to run, have half the lifespan
Its the same all over in this hobby, one way of doing things (plasma) is finicky, prone to problems, costs more, and is more difficult to use, so it MUST be better!
This is the same mentality that prefers turntables over digital music, and tubes over solid state.
The only reason we have plasma AT ALL is because the marketing advantage of a flat screen caused it
to be rushed to market.
Funny about how some talk about the "great picture", plasma has always had problems with black level.

Now you're talking Pix. Much of what you say here is true. But to date, plasma still has a better picture. Granted, the difference is no where near what it used to be. LCD keeps getting better. Plasma keeps getting better. In the long run, I believe that LCD will take over (if it hasn't already) because of most of the reason you pointed out above. I just can't let you get away with saying that LCD has a better picture. That's just not true yet.

Oh, and although I agree with the theme of what you are saying above, some of your points are a little exaggerated. Plasmas are yielding 40,000 hours in some models. The gas leaking is not wide spread. Less than 1/2 of one percent. They do weigh much more and take many times the energy to run. The pricing depends on the size. Over 50" and the plasmas actually cost less. Under 50" and LCD prices still rule.

blackraven
02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Every one I know of here in minnesota is buying a plasma because of the picture and more importantly, the price! $3-4K for a 52" LCD is a lot of money. Many people then see that you can get a 50" plasma for $1500-2500 and go with the plasma. I don't think that the majority of the public is thinking about the drawbacks of a plasma tv, you give them too much credit! We are dealing with a public that thinks MP3, HT and Bose is hifidelity.

Duds
02-07-2008, 09:40 AM
LOL! i watched the Superbowl on a brand spankin new Sony LCD, and it looked like crap. I'm guessing your reply will be that it wasnt set up properly. Well, my bro's 5080 right out of the box smoked this Sony LCD.

Plasmas have problems with black levels? Well, just so happens the tv the op is looking for is known to have the best black levels around, not just in the plasma market, but in the LCD market as well.

Who gives a rats ass how heavy the TV is anyway? I can tell you my bro's 5080 is a hell of a lot lighter than a freakin Tube tv. And you make it sound as if every plasma has to be mounted on a wall.

LCD's are winning the battle because most consumers dont do research on tv's and run out and buy lcd tv's made by freakin vizio and olevia.

to be rushed to market.

Duds
02-07-2008, 09:41 AM
So, LCDs are free of drawbacks??

Every one I know of here in minnesota is buying a plasma because of the picture and more importantly, the price! $3-4K for a 52" LCD is a lot of money. Many people then see that you can get a 50" plasma for $1500-2500 and go with the plasma. I don't think that the majority of the public is thinking about the drawbacks of a plasma tv, you give them too much credit! We are dealing with a public that thinks MP3, HT and Bose is hifidelity.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
02-07-2008, 11:09 AM

Beef, even OTA broadcasts are heavily compressed. The bandwidth of a single channel is 19.4mbps. However most stations split that between one 14.4mbps channel(main) and two smaller subcarrier digital channels. Considering uncompressed video is like 3000:1, you can see there is no way to really send anything uncompressed over the air.

pixelthis
02-08-2008, 12:37 AM
LOL! i watched the Superbowl on a brand spankin new Sony LCD, and it looked like crap. I'm guessing your reply will be that it wasnt set up properly. Well, my bro's 5080 right out of the box smoked this Sony LCD.

Plasmas have problems with black levels? Well, just so happens the tv the op is looking for is known to have the best black levels around, not just in the plasma market, but in the LCD market as well.

Who gives a rats ass how heavy the TV is anyway? I can tell you my bro's 5080 is a hell of a lot lighter than a freakin Tube tv. And you make it sound as if every plasma has to be mounted on a wall.

LCD's are winning the battle because most consumers dont do research on tv's and run out and buy lcd tv's made by freakin vizio and olevia.

Thats right, everybodies a dumbass but YOU.
One of the reasons I praise the death of CRT is their weight, last year a 4 year old girl tipped one over, it crushed her head, I can guarantee you that her parents care about how much a tv "weighs".
We barely have the tech down to make tubes, much less glass envelopes that plasmas require, which is why they leak gas, and die, which they do. All the time.
Speaking of "dying" you're right, a plasma doesnt have to be mounted on a wall, but its actually safer, know whats gonna happen when a kid or dog knocks over your set sitting on a stand?
Not to mention the radiation emitted from a plasma, ultraviolet, which is whats called ionizing radiation. And thats just what they admit to.
I AM NOT GOING TO CONCEDE THAT A PLASMA HAS A BETTER PICTURE,
I have had several xbr's, monitors, etc, and the picture from my vizio stands up quite well,
it displays computer video and HD quite well.
BUT one thing that you have trouble telling HT types is that a monitor is a complicated thing, and there are several factors to consider, not just PQ.
In a nation populated by green and purple people on screens watched by those who dont care, LCD is outstanding.
Which is my main point, its going to be the dominant if not only monitor choice, we need to start improving the breed, because it can be better.
The gasoline engine won out over electric and steam because the real world all around
conveinence made it a winner, refinement made it as good as it is today.
Nobody bleated that steam was "better" for some reason or other, they just moved on.
LCD is cheap, has a bright non glare picture, is safe, and long lasting and versatile,
and has a great picture.
And until OLED gets here it will be tHE main way everybody watches TV, so PQ types need to get over it.
GREAT THING IS YOU CAN GET A 50IN FOR OVER 3 GRAND, BUT you can also get a 46 in for 1500.
Saw a RCA 46in for 1200 the OTHER DAY AS A MATTER OF FACT
So if you want a heavy, radiation emitting gas leaking energy hog of a TV better hurry
and stock up, they wont be around long:1:

Duds
02-08-2008, 07:59 AM
So lets see, you can tip over a plasma tv that is on a stand, but you cant tip over an LCD that is on a stand?

a 4 year old girl tipped over a tube tv huh? wow, must have been one strong 4 year old.

you're a clown, you really are

Thats right, everybodies a dumbass but YOU.
One of the reasons I praise the death of CRT is their weight, last year a 4 year old girl tipped one over, it crushed her head, I can guarantee you that her parents care about how much a tv "weighs".
We barely have the tech down to make tubes, much less glass envelopes that plasmas require, which is why they leak gas, and die, which they do. All the time.
Speaking of "dying" you're right, a plasma doesnt have to be mounted on a wall, but its actually safer, know whats gonna happen when a kid or dog knocks over your set sitting on a stand?
Not to mention the radiation emitted from a plasma, ultraviolet, which is whats called ionizing radiation. And thats just what they admit to.
I AM NOT GOING TO CONCEDE THAT A PLASMA HAS A BETTER PICTURE,
I have had several xbr's, monitors, etc, and the picture from my vizio stands up quite well,
it displays computer video and HD quite well.
BUT one thing that you have trouble telling HT types is that a monitor is a complicated thing, and there are several factors to consider, not just PQ.
In a nation populated by green and purple people on screens watched by those who dont care, LCD is outstanding.
Which is my main point, its going to be the dominant if not only monitor choice, we need to start improving the breed, because it can be better.
The gasoline engine won out over electric and steam because the real world all around
conveinence made it a winner, refinement made it as good as it is today.
Nobody bleated that steam was "better" for some reason or other, they just moved on.
LCD is cheap, has a bright non glare picture, is safe, and long lasting and versatile,
and has a great picture.
And until OLED gets here it will be tHE main way everybody watches TV, so PQ types need to get over it.
GREAT THING IS YOU CAN GET A 50IN FOR OVER 3 GRAND, BUT you can also get a 46 in for 1500.
Saw a RCA 46in for 1200 the OTHER DAY AS A MATTER OF FACT
So if you want a heavy, radiation emitting gas leaking energy hog of a TV better hurry
and stock up, they wont be around long:1:

pixelthis
02-09-2008, 10:36 PM
So lets see, you can tip over a plasma tv that is on a stand, but you cant tip over an LCD that is on a stand?

a 4 year old girl tipped over a tube tv huh? wow, must have been one strong 4 year old.

you're a clown, you really are

Some of the nurses that tended this girl were quite "strong" but I saw a rare thing while they were tending to this girl. tears.
Just because some idiots didnt know how to properly anchor a TV.
My LCD weighs 53 lbs without the stand, how much does you"re "plasma" weigh?
Not to mention that my LCD is mostly plastic. A lot more forgiving of the stupidity of humans, of which you're a prime example.
ass:1:

Duds
02-11-2008, 07:14 AM
The Pioneer 5080 weighs 76 pounds. a whopping 23 more punds than your plastic LCD.

Look, I don't care if people prefer LCD over plasma, everyone has their own opinion. But don't make idiotic statements about plasmas just to support your love affair with LCD.

Some of the nurses that tended this girl were quite "strong" but I saw a rare thing while they were tending to this girl. tears.
Just because some idiots didnt know how to properly anchor a TV.
My LCD weighs 53 lbs without the stand, how much does you"re "plasma" weigh?
Not to mention that my LCD is mostly plastic. A lot more forgiving of the stupidity of humans, of which you're a prime example.
ass:1:

pixelthis
02-13-2008, 01:55 AM
The Pioneer 5080 weighs 76 pounds. a whopping 23 more punds than your plastic LCD.

Look, I don't care if people prefer LCD over plasma, everyone has their own opinion. But don't make idiotic statements about plasmas just to support your love affair with LCD.

LCD is a temporary solution, it will be surpassed by Oled.
There are several ways of watching video in your living room, plasma is the dumbest,
its a device rushed to market because no one thought LCD would get there as fast as it did, if we had had LCD first, plasma would have never gotten off of the ground.
And your set weighs 76 pounds, good for you, will weigh a few ounces less when the gas escapes:1:

Duds
02-13-2008, 04:50 AM
Jerkoff - I listed the wight of the 5080 becuase you asked how much plasmas weigh. Moron.

You show how ignorant you are by saying plasma is the dumbest way to watch video.. Like I said, eveyone has their own preference, but plasma is far fromt he dumbest way to watch any kind of video.

LCD is a temporary solution, it will be surpassed by Oled.
There are several ways of watching video in your living room, plasma is the dumbest,
its a device rushed to market because no one thought LCD would get there as fast as it did, if we had had LCD first, plasma would have never gotten off of the ground.
And your set weighs 76 pounds, good for you, will weigh a few ounces less when the gas escapes:1:

nyctc7
02-13-2008, 08:33 AM
Was browsing in both J&R Music World and Circuit City yesterday. Almost all the HDTV's for sale were 1080p. Only a smattering of 720p. So I think it is becoming moot which one to choose from. Pretty soon, all that will be for available for sale will be 1080p. I really don't want to throw away my 37" 720p/1080i LG set after owning it for only 2 1/2 years. The picture is pretty great. But I now see that I could easily bump up the size to 46". Decisions, Decisions...

GMichael
02-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Was browsing in both J&R Music World and Circuit City yesterday. Almost all the HDTV's for sale were 1080p. Only a smattering of 720p. So I think it is becoming moot which one to choose from. Pretty soon, all that will be for available for sale will be 1080p. I really don't want to throw away my 37" 720p/1080i LG set after owning it for only 2 1/2 years. The picture is pretty great. But I now see that I could easily bump up the size to 46". Decisions, Decisions...

Throw away? Don't you have another room in your house that you spend a little time watching the tube? (even though tubes will soon be all gone)

nyctc7
02-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Throw away? Don't you have another room in your house that you spend a little time watching the tube? (even though tubes will soon be all gone)

I live in a New York City studio apartment. Of course, I could put the set on Craig's List and try and sell it. But get a load of the price drop: I bought my LG brand 37" 720p/1080i LCD set at Circuit City for $2,900 in July of 2005. (The asking price was actually $3,300 if you can believe it. I found the same set on the internet for less, so they lowered the price to $2,900.) Anyway, a 37" 720p/1080i LCD can now be had for around $1,000. So being 2 1/2 years old, I think I'd be lucky if I could get 400 bucks for mine. $400 is not chump change, but compared to what I paid, it sure feels like I'd be throwing it away. **Sigh**

GMichael
02-13-2008, 09:36 AM
I live in a New York City studio apartment. Of course, I could put the set on Craig's List and try and sell it. But get a load of the price drop: I bought my LG brand 37" 720p/1080i LCD set at Circuit City for $2,900 in July of 2005. (The asking price was actually $3,300 if you can believe it. I found the same set on the internet for less, so they lowered the price to $2,900.) Anyway, a 37" 720p/1080i LCD can now be had for around $1,000. So being 2 1/2 years old, I think I'd be lucky if I could get 400 bucks for mine. $400 is not chump change, but compared to what I paid, it sure feels like I'd be throwing it away. **Sigh**

Screw it. It will be fine for now. Just like my 720p projectors. When I bought them 1080p was about $10k each for comparable models. Now that the prices are under $3k I'd love to have one. But there's nothing wrong with what I have for now. They will do just fine.

If I was buying today, then I'd go 1080p. A few years ago, it wasn't a good choice.

Rich-n-Texas
02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Jerkoff
HEY HEY HEY! I have patent rights on that! Pay up! :incazzato:

GMichael
02-13-2008, 10:22 AM
HEY HEY HEY! I have patent rights on that! Pay up! :incazzato:

Do you mean saying it, or... uh, nevermind.

Groundbeef
02-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Do you mean saying it, or... uh, nevermind.

Thats how he paid for his new receiver...amature home video...but wasn't there already a thread on Porn? Rich? You are not on drugs and being abused are you? I'm not sure self abuse counts.

f0rge
02-13-2008, 12:00 PM

how many current-gen plasmas do you own with screen burn in?

yeah i dont own one either, mine has no burn in and never will, because it's not a problem.

stop spreading misinformation

hope you enjoy all the dead pixels on your LCD.

nyctc7
02-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Screw it. It will be fine for now. Just like my 720p projectors. When I bought them 1080p was about $10k each for comparable models. Now that the prices are under $3k I'd love to have one. But there's nothing wrong with what I have for now. They will do just fine.

If I was buying today, then I'd go 1080p. A few years ago, it wasn't a good choice.

GMichael, I'd like your opinion on another reason I think I should wait to buy a 1080p. I've read that it will be quite some time before TV stations (whether on-air or cable) will broadcast in 1080p. So people who don't play video games and are also not that concerned about HD DVD will ask, why do I need 1080p? The answer will be that 1080p TV's will become better and better at displaying non-1080p sources. Do you think that is true? That 1080p TV's will become better and better at displaying non-1080p sources, most notably, broadcast and cable television? How good are the current crop of 1080p TV's at displaying broadcast or cable TV? From what I see in the stores, pretty darn good.

GMichael
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
GMichael, I'd like your opinion on another reason I think I should wait to buy a 1080p. I've read that it will be quite some time before TV stations (whether on-air or cable) will broadcast in 1080p. So people who don't play video games and are also not that concerned about HD DVD will ask, why do I need 1080p? The answer will be that 1080p TV's will become better and better at displaying non-1080p sources. Do you think that is true? That 1080p TV's will become better and better at displaying non-1080p sources, most notably, broadcast and cable television? How good are the current crop of 1080p TV's at displaying broadcast or cable TV? From what I see in the stores, pretty darn good.

I'm no expert in this field, But from what I have read, there will be more and more broadcasts in 1080i. 1080i is very easily upscaled to 1080p. My friend has one of the earliest 1080p DLP sets. When he's watching something coming in in 1080i upscaled to 1080p it looks incredible.
As far as sets getting better at it? I would guess that's true. Everything keeps getting better. But if we keep waiting for the next best thing then we'll never own anything today.

If money is an issue, then either get the 720p or wait. Next year the prices should come down again while the quality goes up a notch. If you can swing the extra cash, then 1080p is the way to go.

Duds
02-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Everyone's eyes are different, but I can tell you that I could not see a difference between two Pioneer Elites ( a 768 and a 1080) while viewing the same 1080i feed side by side. But like I said, everyone's eyes are different, and you will also get people who paid the extra for 1080p saying they can see a difference just to justify their purchase.

f0rge
02-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Everyone's eyes are different, but I can tell you that I could not see a difference between two Pioneer Elites ( a 768 and a 1080) while viewing the same 1080i feed side by side. But like I said, everyone's eyes are different, and you will also get people who paid the extra for 1080p saying they can see a difference just to justify their purchase.

another thing to consider, nowadays 720p models are entry level models, with the 1080p models being in the higher end of the lineup. most companies will put better panels, better processing chips, better contrast ratios, better brightness (ouch grammar), better everything into the better tvs, which makes them look...well better, even if both are playing a 720p source.

GMichael
02-13-2008, 01:49 PM

I have a coworker who claims that she can't see a difference between std def and her new 1080p. My money says that her's is not set up right. Size of the screen, distance away, set-up and the source would all make a big difference though.

Duds
02-13-2008, 02:16 PM
My guess is she isnt watching the hi-def channels, lol

I have a coworker who claims that she can't see a difference between std def and her new 1080p. My money says that her's is not set up right. Size of the screen, distance away, set-up and the source would all make a big difference though.

Duds
02-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I wouldnt call the Pioneer 1150 an entry level model. not even close

QUOTE=f0rge]another thing to consider, nowadays 720p models are entry level models, with the 1080p models being in the higher end of the lineup. most companies will put better panels, better processing chips, better contrast ratios, better brightness (ouch grammar), better everything into the better tvs, which makes them look...well better, even if both are playing a 720p source.[/QUOTE]

GMichael
02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
My guess is she isnt watching the hi-def channels, lol

She wasn't. Don't laugh. Even after I explained this to my dad countless times, he still puts on the old std def. channels.

This woman at least caught on to that part, but something must be wrong if she still can't tell.

f0rge
02-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Don't laugh. Even after I explained this to my dad countless times, he still puts on the old std def. channels.

haha mine is exactly the same, i dont even know why he pays extra for HD content...

GMichael
02-13-2008, 02:54 PM
haha mine is exactly the same, i dont even know why he pays extra for HD content...

Does he say to you, "I am on the HD channel. See the HD in the corner of the screen?"

pixelthis
02-14-2008, 02:04 AM
how many current-gen plasmas do you own with screen burn in?

yeah i dont own one either, mine has no burn in and never will, because it's not a problem.

stop spreading misinformation

hope you enjoy all the dead pixels on your LCD.

They're not "dead" pixels, nimrod, they're bright pixels.
And I HAVE A ZERO BRIGHT PIXEL guarentee for the life of the set.
Wish I would get a bright pixel, I'd get a new set.
AND you stop spreading misinfo, burn in is a serious problem with plasma.
And yes its a stupid way of displaying video, creating a plasma in a rickity glass envelope
that not only produces visible light but also ionizing radiation (UV) and infra red also.
And thats just what they admit to.
I dont have to worry about the envelope leaking and killing the set. Or burn-in.
Or three headed children because wifey sat too close to the screen.
But to each his own.
Dead pixels are better than dead whatever that glass envelope falls on when that set falls,
btw, be it children , dogs, cats, hamsters....:1:

KID
02-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Touche
Even I Was Considering Buying My Lcd Coincidentally Sharp Aquos Model ...you Made My Resolve More Clearer

KID
02-26-2008, 12:00 AM
Well After All The Reading And Reviewing From The Net And Different Sources ...its Best Said That If You Are Intending To Buy An Lcd/plasma Of Less That 37" Then Honestly It Does'nt Matter ...however For A Larger Size Like 42" An Above Then Going For 1080p Is Justified

Duds
02-26-2008, 05:02 AM
You're leaving out one piece to the puzzle, that is how far you will be sitting from the TV. If you get a 50" 1080p, but sit more than 9 feet away, you are wasting your money on 1080p. Your eyes will not be able to see a difference from that far away. Now if you sit, lets say, 6 feet away from yout tv, then 1080p could be justified.

QUOTE=KID]Well After All The Reading And Reviewing From The Net And Different Sources ...its Best Said That If You Are Intending To Buy An Lcd/plasma Of Less That 37" Then Honestly It Does'nt Matter ...however For A Larger Size Like 42" An Above Then Going For 1080p Is Justified[/QUOTE]