Purchased the RX-V3800 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Purchased the RX-V3800

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 06:54 AM
The deal at 6th Ave. Electronics was just too good to pass up. The $501 off coupon and free shipping were the deal makers. I feel I did the proper research about the company (they ARE factory authorized according to the Yamaha website), so if there are any problems with the unit I'm comfortable that I'll get fair treatment from them. They're based in New Jersey too.

The 3800 is the power output winner over the Onkyo 805, Integra DTC 7.8, Denon AVR-2808, and obviously the Yamaha 1800. With a 140 wpc rating, it's a network receiver and has a front USB port. If it only had a DVD drive I could play Doom3 on it. :smilewinkgrin: One of my concerns about the above mentioned receivers, though not necessarily a deal breaker was their weight. The specs of my audio cabinet say no more than 40 lbs, and the Onkyo unit was 60 lbs. The 3800 = 38 lbs. As mentioned before, I know I'd be happy with anything after using my little HTR 5740 for three years; I'm used to the all-in-one psychology since I've never owned separates, and I'm confident and comfortable with the Yamaha brand.

So thanks again to everyone who gave advice and had patience with me during my search and decision making process, and a big shout out to AR's own L.J. Thanks again for the tips L.J, your cookies are on the FedEx truck! :thumbsup:

(Note to self: Find the person who turned me onto this website and break their neck!!!)

GMichael
01-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Congrats Tex,

I'm sure you will love your new unit. It should give you more headroom than your HTR as well as some added flexability.
You're going to love the auto-set-up as well as that memory feature.

L.J.
01-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Sweet!!!!! Your gonna be happy with that unit and now you got all kinds of future flexibility. The GUI is really nice and there is alot of adjustability and tweaking available.

Now all you gotta is take that $100 savings and pick up a BFD with it :rolleyes:

GMichael
01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
Now all you gotta is take that $100 savings and pick up a BFD with it :rolleyes:

Dmit! I still need one. My birthday is in August.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 07:59 AM
Sweet!!!!! Your gonna be happy with that unit and now you got all kinds of future flexibility. The GUI is really nice and there is alot of adjustability and tweaking available.

Yeah, like I said...

(Note to self: Find the person who turned me onto this website and break their neck!!!)

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Dmit! I still need one. My birthday is in August.
Didn't you once tell me I could pick something off your A/V shelf when I reached my 500th post? :ihih:

GMichael
01-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Didn't you once tell me I could pick something off your A/V shelf when I reached my 500th post? :ihih:

That was LJ.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 08:10 AM
That was LJ.
Why is L.J. on your shelf? :confused5:

GMichael
01-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Why is L.J. on your shelf? :confused5:

He's a handy guy to have around the house. He can fix anything.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Yeah well, if he wasn't on your shelf maybe you'd have more money. Just a thought...

GMichael
01-25-2008, 08:17 AM
What are you suggesting?

RoadRunner6
01-25-2008, 12:34 PM
That Yamaha is one great receiver and in my opinion the best bang for the buck in that price range. Great choice!

RR6

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks RR6. The price was right and it shipped (free) today.

I suggest GM that you ship him to my house so he can help me set up my receiver. He and it should arrive at about the same time if you pack him up today. Sound good lemme know.

johnny p
01-25-2008, 01:04 PM
man.... I just looked that thing up....... ME WANTS ONE........

johnny p
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
B & W Matrix 804 mains (left speaker missing because of Mel's advice)

Mine is on the front porch, you must have misunderstood him.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Mine is on the front porch, you must have misunderstood him.
Are you sure it's still there johnny p? :ihih:

GMichael
01-25-2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks RR6. The price was right and it shipped (free) today.

I suggest GM that you ship him to my house so he can help me set up my receiver. He and it should arrive at about the same time if you pack him up today. Sound good lemme know.

He doesn't ship well. But if you offer him a few beers he may just show up.

GMichael
01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
ME WANTS ONE........

Me too. It's a great AVR at that price.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 01:24 PM
He doesn't ship well. But if you offer him a few beers he may just show up.
I thought he was a wino myself. Beer, wine... whatever.

L.J.
01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Rich install should be a snap. You do have some major tweak options but you can slowly get into that. The GUI is very easy to navigate through and you even get to see pretty pictures of what your adjusting. The auto setup should be spot on as far as distances and levels are concerned. You may have to mess around with the sub a little though.

The hardest part is probably gonna be connecting everything. Please tell me you use banana plugs.

When's this baby gonna show up? Pics, pics, pics......get your camera ready.

GM.....shouldn't you have one of these on the way?

GMichael
01-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Yes, I should, but I can't.
I have more than just mental issues this year. All upgrades are on hold until further notice.:mad2: :cryin:

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 02:40 PM
Property taxes and income taxes would be my guess.

GMichael
01-25-2008, 02:45 PM
The bank screwed up the construction payments to the builder.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Rich install should be a snap. You do have some major tweak options but you can slowly get into that. The GUI is very easy to navigate through and you even get to see pretty pictures of what your adjusting. The auto setup should be spot on as far as distances and levels are concerned. You may have to mess around with the sub a little though.
Good. Me likes pretty pictures! :yesnod: I'm sooooo looking forward to just pushing a button or two and letting YPAO do its thing. My 5740 didn't have this feature and you know me = dumba$$. :rolleyes:

The hardest part is probably gonna be connecting everything. Please tell me you use banana plugs.
Afraid not. I use the bare wire insertion method, but, and I was going to mention this earlier, the receiver comes with a nifty little speaker terminal wrench so I can put some torque (but not too much torque) on the connection at the receiver.

When's this baby gonna show up? Pics, pics, pics......get your camera ready.
It shipped today via DHL. I've never dealt with DHL before but I'm going to make sure I'm home when it arrives. The camera will be ready.

I was talking before about running some coax from my PC to the receiver in order to get MP3's to it via a digital coax in at the receiver but after reading about the network connectivity, I can use Windows Media Player 11 and select the device somehow (have to research that one a bit), then stream the content to it. I'm only buying DRM free MP3's these days so I shouldn't have any problems from that perspective.

GM.....shouldn't you have one of these on the way?

Well, there you go again {L.J.} :smilewinkgrin:

diggity
01-26-2008, 12:32 AM
congrats dude you WILL love it! if the gui is the same as my 2700, like L.J said it is easy to navigate. hope you enjoy

cheers: dazza

pixelthis
01-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Congrats rich.
Dont tempt fate, get banana's, (plugs not fruit)
And YPAO has never worked worth a pee, I know your cheap, but get a ratshack meter.
AND I hope I am wrong but theres reason the yammy is lighter, its not good to buy a receiver by the pound.
But I dont care if I wasnt in on the group hug, they're kinda gay(not that theres anything wrong with that) if you need help yell.
And I know you dont read instruction manuels, but at least look at this one and see if it came off of a copier. Please?:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2008, 07:34 AM
It's now at the Plano Depot. Has anyone had product shipped via DHL? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

GMichael
01-29-2008, 07:38 AM
It's now at the Plano Depot. Has anyone had product shipped via DHL? Good experiences? Bad experiences?

They are OK. Don't seem any better or worse than the rest of them. There will always be nightmare stories. Same for UPS, FEDEX, etc....

Can't wait huh? What's the ETA now?

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2008, 07:59 AM
I just now saw this post. If I'd known he actually had something nice to say, I wouldn't have been so hard on him. :idea: Naaaa... F**k that!!!

Congrats rich.
Huh? Oh... thanks. (hoping that saying thanks doesn't blow up in my face)

Dont tempt fate, get banana's, (plugs not fruit)
I'm currently using bananas at the speakers: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-1165
So yeah, I know the difference between the plugs and the fruit. And I know the difference between toslink and RCA connectors too. Ain't that some sh!t?

And YPAO has never worked worth a pee, I know your cheap, but get a ratshack meter.
So we have an unsupported claim, an insult and advice all in one sentence. BTW, I'll be using a Simpson model 899 Impulse Sound Level meter to tweak whatever settings may be necessary after YPAO has done it's thing.

AND I hope I am wrong but theres reason the yammy is lighter, its not good to buy a receiver by the pound.
As I said in my post, if you read it correctly was that the weight of the unit wouldn't be a deal breaker. The only thing I buy by the pound id groundbeef, another member of this forum you've managed to insult with your false humor.

But I dont care if I wasnt in on the group hug, they're kinda gay(not that theres anything wrong with that) if you need help yell.
Get with the times. Men hug each other these days. Why I don't know but nevertheless it happens.

And I know you dont read instruction manuels, but at least look at this one and see if it came off of a copier. Please?:1:
You're right, I don't read manuels, I read manuals. In fact, I downloaded the 3800 owners manual from the Yamaha website and started browsing through it last week.
I'll scan any smeared pages and post them up here. Sound good? :rolleyes:

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
They are OK. Don't seem any better or worse than the rest of them. There will always be nightmare stories. Same for UPS, FEDEX, etc....

Can't wait huh? What's the ETA now?
Tomorrow, but I'm tracking it closely. Don't know if the other's do this but you can select an option that'll have DHL send you an e-mail whenever there's a change in status during the shipment. Nice feature.

L.J.
01-29-2008, 08:55 AM

And I take this is also based on the reports of 2 people.

I've used auto setup from Onkyo, Denon & Yamaha. Never had a problem with any of them and distances and levels have always been spot on(except for the sub of course). No one is expecting a miracle but they do give you a starting point....especially if your new to setting a system up.

Give Rich a break and let him enjoy his new toy.

BTW, just because you had good luck with Integra, it doesn't mean they don't have issues as well. The current line of Integra is plagued with problems just like Onkyo is. I had HDMI problems with Elite as well. Yamaha was the only problem free units I auditioned.

Rich-n-Texas
01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
congrats dude you WILL love it! if the gui is the same as my 2700, like L.J said it is easy to navigate. hope you enjoy

Some of the posts I read on the AVS forum about the 1800's GUI was that it was very DOS'ish. Anything's better than standing right in front of the receiver like I have to do now but it sounds like this model will have a more user friendly GUI/menu system. I sure hope so. The old eyes just ain't what they used to be. :(

pixelthis
01-30-2008, 01:15 AM

I've used auto setup from Onkyo, Denon & Yamaha. Never had a problem with any of them and distances and levels have always been spot on(except for the sub of course). No one is expecting a miracle but they do give you a starting point....especially if your new to setting a system up.

BTW, just because you had good luck with Integra, it doesn't mean they don't have issues as well. The current line of Integra is plagued with problems just like Onkyo is. I had HDMI problems with Elite as well. Yamaha was the only problem free units I auditioned.

Have you checked that auto setup?
I have tried it on a couple of receivers and it never worked quite right.
kinda like sex on a motorcycle , it sounds great in theory, but the reality
can be quite bloody.
A cheap microchip will never replace the human ear , IMHO..
And I do hope Rich enjoys his new toy, might not beleive it but I am on his side,
its just that hes mr opening line.
And again I HAVENT HEARD ABOUT ANY PROBS WITH iNTEGRA.
But I am leery of most modern receivers, I am a firm beleiver that there aint no such thing as a free lunch, and they cram too much into modern receivers.
Its engineering by the marketing dept, and has produced a poorer product as a result.
My first receiver had 35wpc, my second 75wpc, INTO TWO CHANNELS.
And it was top of the line at the time, would cost 1800 in todays dollars.
The tech hasnt advanced enough to cram SEVEN 140 watt amps into a single receiver
without major compromises, thats all there is to it.
All of the "brand" names are trading quality to compete, and the consumer suffers:1:

pixelthis
01-30-2008, 01:15 AM

can be quite bloody.
And I do hope Rich enjoys his new toy, might not beleive it but I am on his side,
But I am leery of most modern receivers, I am a firm beleiver that there aint no such thing as a free lunch, and they cram too much into modern receivers.
Its engineering by the marketing dept, and has produced a poorer product as a result.
The tech hasnt advanced enough to cram SEVEN 140 watt amps into a single receiver
All of the "brand" names are trading quality to compete, and the consumer suffers:1:

GMichael
01-30-2008, 07:22 AM
can be quite bloody.

I have the auto-setup thing on my AVR. It does a nice job with some things, but not all. It gets the distance spot on (even the sub that others have found not to work well on theirs) The levels are close but not perfect. Gives you a great place to start, then tweak away. Not sure how they come up with their EQ settings, but wholly crap does it go overboard. Good thing it's so easy to go in and set that back to flat. I tweaked this a little due to room problems, but room treatments would be better. All & all the GUI is a nice thing to have.

Tex,

What worked good for me was to run the Auto-Set-Up and them save that into a memory slot before you make any changes. Then if you end up not liking your tweaks you have something to go back to without having to keep running the ASU over and over again. The beeps and other sounds can become annoying after awhile.
I saved the original set-up in slot 6. Made tweaks and then saved in 5. More tweaks and saved in 4. I ended up with one set-up for movies saved in slot 1 and the one I use for TV in slot 2. For music I just hit Straight mode. Slot 3 is my work in progress. I'm always changing things and saving it their till I find something I like better before I move it to 1 or 2.
Pure direct is good for music also, but it will bypass your sub as well as the EQ.

Oh, Pix,

You double posted. You may want to delete one of them.

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Tex,

What worked good for me was to run the Auto-Set-Up and them save that into a memory slot before you make any changes. Then if you end up not liking your tweaks you have something to go back to without having to keep running the ASU over and over again. The beeps and other sounds can become annoying after awhile.
I saved the original set-up in slot 6. Made tweaks and then saved in 5. More tweaks and saved in 4. I ended up with one set-up for movies saved in slot 1 and the one I use for TV in slot 2. For music I just hit Straight mode. Slot 3 is my work in progress. I'm always changing things and saving it their till I find something I like better before I move it to 1 or 2.
Pure direct is good for music also, but it will bypass your sub as well as the EQ.
Bookmarked!!! Thanks GM.

I'm afraid to ask this question, and I know I could probably find the answer in the manuel, but can someone tell me what the difference is between "Straight" mode and "Direct Stereo" mode? When I choose Direct Stereo, the display dims so I think that means circutry (digital?) not needed is shut down, correct?

GMichael
01-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Bookmarked!!! Thanks GM.

I'm afraid to ask this question, and I know I could probably find the answer in the manuel, but can someone tell me what the difference is between "Straight" mode and "Direct Stereo" mode? When I choose Direct Stereo, the display dims so I think that means circutry (digital?) not needed is shut down, correct?

Straight mode has minimal processing. It splits a little off for the sub, and it still goes through the EQ section. Otherwise, signal in = signal out.
Pure direct has zip for processing. In = out. No sub, no EQ. The lights going out is just Yamaha's way of showing that everything is off. The blue light is cool huh?
I think your Direct Stereo mode is their new name for Pure Direct. But I could be wrong.

How you liking it so far?

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
No no. I'm talking about my 5740. The 3800 is on the truck for delivery.

Sorry, should have mentioned that sooner. I'm getting drowsy waiting for the truck.

bfalls
01-30-2008, 12:06 PM

I had a very bad experience with DHL. We shipped a DVD encoder to the DigitalMoon Mastering facility in Toronto overnight priority for a Monday installation. We arrived on Monday. On-line tracking reported the package was in Toronto, but had not been delivered. We called to see if we could pick it up, but told it wasn't going to a facility and being transferred truck-to-truck and would be at the location by 10:30.

At 11:30 and no package, we called, went through the whols story and was told it would be delivered by 5:30. At 6:30 we called and was told the driver didn't have time to deliver, it would stay on the truck and be delivered early Tuesday. We weren't allowed to pick it up.

Tuesday, same situation. It didn't arrive at 8:00, or 10:30, or 2:30, or 5:30 as we were told each time we called and each time explaining having to explain the situation again because they weren't documentating the status. The entire time we're sitting, twiddling our thumbs and embarassed. Luckily DigitalMoon is part of Sony, so were understanding.

Wednesday when it hadn't arrived by noon we insisted on picking it up after being told they couldn't guarantee when it would arrive. Calling over and over, we were told we had to wait until after 5:30 when the truck returned from it's rounds. We finally received it around 7:30. The rest of our trip included late nights getting the encoder setup and tested. We no longer ship DHL. I more than happy to pass along my experience so everyone knows, at least in Toronto, DHL BLOWS!

GMichael
01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
No no. I'm talking about my 5740. The 3800 is on the truck for delivery.

Sorry, should have mentioned that sooner. I'm getting drowsy waiting for the truck.

What are you doing with that HTR? Mine sounds great in the bedroom with a few cheap JBL bookshelf speakers.

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
The room that I've used to put my computers together is going to become my 2 channel room, but I don't know yet if my Pioneer components are going in there or my 5740.

I'd really like to use my old 3-way speakers but a midrange got damaged when one of my demon cats felt the need to use it as a scatching post, and a tweeter had its center dome pushed in. Those speakers are well matched with the SX-251R receiver, so I might try to find replacement drivers for them. I'll post some pics of them in the event someone knows where I can get replacements.

audio amateur
01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
sell it on ebay:)

f0rge
01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
did you get it yet? i'm curious to see how you like it, i'm looking to do a similar upgrade from my rather weak rx-v630 to the rx-v1800

L.J.
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Well Rich, I hope your DHL experience is better than the one I had with UPS a few years ago.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=16556&highlight=lost

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
While I was sitting here typing my previous post, the DHL truck pulled up in front of my house. I went to the window so I could see the box before he brought it up to the door, and wouldn't ya know it, he moved the box to the edge of the van then uncerimoniously picked it up then dropped it right in the street. :mad5: I couldn't believe it! So he picked up, knocked on the door, and when I opened it I said to him... Dude, you dropped that box on the ground. "No I didn't." I said yes you did, I watched you do it. I said, and further more I'm refusing shipment. He got this angry look on his face and said okay. I said where's shipping documents because I want to write "refused" on the paperwork. He said not necessary, scanned the bar code and walked away. Freakin' jerk! :incazzato:

I immediately called DHL CS and filed a complaint with their rep, and the nice lady assured me that there'll be no return shippment fee charge against me. Next I called 6ave and told them about the situation and the rep there also assured me I wouldn't have to pay return shipping, and another unit will be sent right away. He also told me they pack the original manufacturer's box inside a new "pristene" shipping box filled with packing material.

So while I had the guy on the phone I asked him how they're able to sell this unit so cheap. He said that in the case of Yamaha and some other manufacturers, 6ave hires former employees of those companies and these buyers then act as liasons between the two. Apparently the former employees that are now 6ave employees still hold some power with the manufacturer and are able to get product at reduced cost then pass the savings on to poor slobs like me. It sounded ligit to me, and I hung up with the feeling that everything's on the up-n-up.

What really stinks is I burned up timebank time by coming home and waiting, just to watch Magilla drop my NEW TOY, and I have to wait another 5 - 6 days for another one. :sad: Not only that, my wooden privacy fence blew down yesterday after strong winds came through the area. Typical. :rolleyes:

Rich-n-Texas
01-30-2008, 01:28 PM
sell it on ebay:)
What the cat?:devil:

Luvin Da Blues
01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
That just sucks Rich..sorry to hear of your probs. Just think just one more thing to go wrong then you're home free for awhile. Peace

L.J.
01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
Nope, I guess you didn't get as lucky. Ouch, sorry to hear that.

f0rge
01-30-2008, 02:08 PM
if you think they didnt drop/throw/stand on that box 12 times before it showed up at your door then you're living in a fantasy world.

shipping companies are notoriously terrible for their negligence.

GMichael
01-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Oh man, that sucks so much. I know how it feels to get your hopes up for something. The anticipation builds. You're about to get the big payoff, and the boat sinks!

audio amateur
01-30-2008, 02:51 PM
if you think they didnt drop/throw/stand on that box 12 times before it showed up at your door then you're living in a fantasy world.

shipping companies are notoriously terrible for their negligence.
I don't think that was very reasuring to rich:D

pixelthis
01-31-2008, 01:43 AM
I don't think that was very reasuring to rich:D

NOT REASURRING , but probably true.
Thanks for the info GM, but I have never deleted a post before, how is it done here?

AND RICH, the reason your display goes off in pure audio is to limit possible interferrence with the sound.
mine does the same thing (has a cool blue light also) and the video and flouresecent
display goes off, the signal path is straight through the amps .
This is an audio purist thing. Don't know if it helps:1:

Rich-n-Texas
01-31-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh man, that sucks so much. I know how it feels to get your hopes up for something. The anticipation builds. You're about to get the big payoff, and the boat sinks!
My first response to this would be... Yup! Took the wind right outta my sails! But I'm consoled in the fact that I was watching him the whole time he was shuffling boxes in back of the van (no, it wasn't a white van), moving mine, which I could already see was open, to the back of the van and then without any regard to other people's property just dump it right on the street. Catching him in a lie was actually a thrill. Ego booster ya know? :biggrin5:

Someone told me this morning that I should've marked the Yamaha box with something to indicate it was dropped and I probably should have. I'm going to call 6ave again to get clarrification on the next receiver's ship date. A good thing about Amazon is that they'll ship replacements even before they get the defective or damaged package back which is a good way to know that you're not just getting the same product re-boxed and re-shipped.

diggity
01-31-2008, 05:51 AM
Bookmarked!!! Thanks GM.

g'day, "straight" function is like an auto sound detector, if the source is 5.1 then it will output 5.1, if it is stereo it will output stereo "direct" will do as GMichael says but also disconnect the video output from amp to tv. hope i have helped a little. enjoy!

cheers dazza

Rich-n-Texas
01-31-2008, 05:54 AM
Makes things much clearer, thanks! :thumbsup:

GMichael
01-31-2008, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the info GM, but I have never deleted a post before, how is it done here?

:1:

Just go to the post in question, hit the edit button that is next to the quote button. Click on delete. Confirm that yes, you really do want to delete it. Then save or, something like that.

diggity
01-31-2008, 05:57 AM
if i may ask an obviously stupid question. i have always just used the YPAO feature and left it at whatever it recommended. but everyone is talking about manual setup, is there a certain measurement i should be aiming for. and if so do i use the test tone to measure it?

sorry for asking this dumb question on your thread "rich", it has probably lowered the reputation of the thread haha

GMichael
01-31-2008, 06:06 AM
if i may ask an obviously stupid question. i have always just used the YPAO feature and left it at whatever it recommended. but everyone is talking about manual setup, is there a certain measurement i should be aiming for. and if so do i use the test tone to measure it?

sorry for asking this dumb question on your thread "rich", it has probably lowered the reputation of the thread haha

I think that the YPAO does a very good job on everything except the EQ. You should be able to go into the manual settings and put that back to flat to see if you like that better. To customize your EQ yourself you would need a test CD (puts out tones at specific frequencies) and a Db test meter to check the volume levels of each frequency. Then you would know what frequencies to cut or boost (never boost more than a couple db though) with the EQ.
Caution: Test tones above 2k htz at 90db can blow out your tweeters!

diggity
01-31-2008, 06:12 AM
cool, thanx for that mate i shall look into that and head that last warning, could be important. i owe ya a beer or whatever it is you drink :thumbsup:

GMichael
01-31-2008, 06:14 AM
cool, thanx for that mate i shall look into that and head that last warning, could be important. i owe ya a beer or whatever it is you drink :thumbsup:

Beer is good. Coffee is better.

diggity
01-31-2008, 06:23 AM
hmmm coffee eh?, i suppose i could add kahlua to that

Rich-n-Texas
01-31-2008, 07:03 AM

The way I trash threads! :lol: Don't even give it a second thought. :cool:

I plan on using the YPAO just the way GM described how to use it here:

The problem with my room has been with these dreaded "room modes" (I loathe that term :mad5: ) so after I get my acoustic panels hung I'll run the room EQ and see how it sounds. Then make any necessary tweaks afterwards.

Beer is good. Coffee is better.
Yeah, okay. :rolleyes:

GMichael
01-31-2008, 07:19 AM
hmmm coffee eh?, i suppose i could add kahlua to that

Most people (who do any adding to coffe) add Bailey's. But I add Kahlua as you suggested. Also, I add a little coconut rum.

Yes Rich, this is better than beer. To me at least.

f0rge
01-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Most people (who do any adding to coffe) add Bailey's. But I add Kahlua as you suggested. Also, I add a little coconut rum.

Yes Rich, this is better than beer. To me at least.

best coffee i've ever made happened when i ran out of bailey's and had to improvise, added some irish cream sweetener and some crown royal.

had a bit of a kick but it helped keep me warm ;)

GMichael
01-31-2008, 07:39 AM
best coffee i've ever made happened when i ran out of bailey's and had to improvise, added some irish cream sweetener and some crown royal.

had a bit of a kick but it helped keep me warm ;)

I am also a fan of Crown Royal. Never tried it in coffee though. At least, not yet.:ihih:

Luvin Da Blues
01-31-2008, 07:43 AM
I am also a fan of Crown Royal

Now we're talkin'. I don't drink very much but when I do it's defiantly CR. :cornut: :cornut: :cornut:

thedude65
02-09-2008, 11:30 PM

Can you please explain the problems Onkyo is having with their current line of a/v receivers? I'm trying to decide between the yamaha 3800 and onkyo nr-905. Any info would really help. thanks!!

pixelthis
02-11-2008, 03:00 AM
Can you please explain the problems Onkyo is having with their current line of a/v receivers? I'm trying to decide between the yamaha 3800 and onkyo nr-905. Any info would really help. thanks!!

Can't speak to the "current line" but my Integra is three years old and no problems
so far. nada. Zip
A friend has a 500 or so onkyo, a year or two old that I set up for him.
He loves it (but not the ypao feature)
Problems? Nada. Zip.
Some have talked about a "popping" when inputs are changed, this is probably switch noise, but I DONT KNOW FOR SURE.
I can only attest to what I know.
And I really like my Integra. A lot.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Onkyo doesn't have YPAO. Only Yamaha. Onkyo/Integra use the built in (and highly acclaimed) Audyssey room calibrator.

f0rge
02-11-2008, 06:49 AM
did you ever get this thing?

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2008, 07:28 AM
did you ever get this thing?
:lol: I almost forgot what I bought...

I just checked the return tracker and the first one is on the truck for delivery to 6ave's warehouse. I may just request a faster shipping method for #2 so I can be sure I've got it by next weekend. Nevertheless, I indicated to 6ave CS that I want this one held at the depot and I'll pick it up myself on my way home from work (No telling whether or not the gorilla got retrained :rolleyes: ).

GMichael
02-11-2008, 07:44 AM
An-ti-ci-pa-ya-tion.

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2008, 08:04 AM
An-ti-ci-pa-ya-tion.
Yeah, and you want to know why I'm hoping I've got it by the weekend? I was up in the attic early yesterday morning rerouting the FIOS video splitter and coax and gathering all the other cables for the drop down the hole where the A/V equipment will be placed. That means I no longer have FIOS on the wall where the TV sits; only OTA which will be fine when all is said and done. So this week I'll only be able to watch the OTA channels. Not only did I do that, but I also (I was on a roll!) I disconnected all of my equipment in the audio rack in "an-ti-ci-pa-ya-tion" of receipt of #2. SO, I can't watch DVD's, listen to music, and I only have the TV speakers until I'm back up and running.

Anticipation or blind ambition?

GMichael
02-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Yeah, and you want to know why I'm hoping I've got it by the weekend? I was up in the attic early yesterday morning rerouting the FIOS video splitter and coax and gathering all the other cables for the drop down the hole where the A/V equipment will be placed. That means I no longer have FIOS on the wall where the TV sits; only OTA which will be fine when all is said and done. So this week I'll only be able to watch the OTA channels. Not only did I do that, but I also (I was on a roll!) I disconnected all of my equipment in the audio rack in "an-ti-ci-pa-ya-tion" of receipt of #2. SO, I can't watch DVD's, listen to music, and I only have the TV speakers until I'm back up and running.

Anticipation or blind ambition?

Dang, How are you living? No music? No system? Just shoot me now. SHOOT ME NOW!:crazy:

Rich-n-Texas
02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
MP3's on my computer. :barf:

GMichael
02-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Ah....
I could live with that for a few days. At least you have something. But I'd end up living in the computer room. Set up a cot, bring in a table to eat at etc.

L.J.
02-11-2008, 01:52 PM

Popping or thud sound during HDMI handshake(sound comes out the speakers...not the unit)

Sync issues & 3 to 4 second delay to process incoming signals

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=195838&postcount=17

Go over to AVS and do a search of "popping" and you'll find all kinda info. Here's a poll of popping issues:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=859792&highlight=popping

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2008, 08:07 AM
Welp, 6ave received my rejected box yesterday, and they told me today that #2 will ship within 48 hrs. I asked if I could get three day or faster shipping; he said he couldn't do that but he'd mark the order "expedite". I'm not holding out any hope that I'll have it this week, so it looks like another weekend that I can't finish the work in the living room. It's coming very close to one month between the time I ordered it and the time I'll be able to ROCK-N-ROLL with it.

Poor poor pitiful me.
:cryin:

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2008, 08:11 AM
...But I'd end up living in the computer room. Set up a cot, bring in a table to eat at etc.
Yeah, and my headphone cord is juuuust about long enough to reach around to the bathroom.:idea:

GMichael
02-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Yeah, and my headphone cord is juuuust about long enough to reach around to the bathroom.:idea:

Can it streeeeeeeeeetch out for one more week?

Rich-n-Texas
02-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Can it streeeeeeeeeetch out for one more week?
I've got a soldering iron at home in case it snaps.:idea:

pixelthis
02-13-2008, 01:41 AM
I've got a soldering iron at home in case it snaps.:idea:

like you did years ago, Mr great opening line.
And like you certainly will when you new receiver shows up in a box that "rattles" when you shake it:1:

GMichael
02-13-2008, 06:39 AM
And like you certainly will when you new receiver shows up in a box that "rattles" when you shake it:1:

You sure know how to make a person feel good. Great "bedside manor."
Can't you see the man is in pain?

ldgibson76
02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Hello R-n-T!

Let's just hope that when your RX-V3800 arrives from 6AVE, that it would have been worth the wait. We all want to have the best Audio/Video experience we can possibly have and spend as little as we possibly can to have it. Don't get me wrong, saving $500.00 on this receiver is without a doubt, a substantial savings, but at what cost. Now obviously, If it wasn't for the DHL delivery guy dropping the package and not to mention denying it when confronted, you would be enjoying your new Yamaha! So 6AVE is not at fault yet, Let's just hope that the new 3800 is perfect when it arrives. Truthfully, I'm nervous for ya!
Like my Papa used to say..."It's not about the money, but it's about the money!" What I mean by that is no matter what you've spent on this receiver, 10 bucks or 10000 bucks, it's still your money and you want what you paid for. Just because they sold it for $1000.00 doesn't mean your customer service should be any less than the guy who spent $1499 for it. Whether or not that quote is relevant to your dilemma, I don't know...it just sounds cool!, but " the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten ..."! That's truly relevant to this experience you're having. Maybe not the product per se, but the order and delivery process is every bit as important as the actual product purchased! I wish you the best!

Rich-n-Texas
02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words Idgibson76. I agree, 6ave isn't really to blame although they do choose to do business with DHL, but yes, the huge savings is tempering my angst about this experience. I should have a new tracking number some time tomorrow and this time I've got some confidence in that the box will be held at the depot, where I give give it very close inspection. I have a few things to say to them also.

pixelthis
02-14-2008, 01:34 AM
You sure know how to make a person feel good. Great "bedside manor."
Can't you see the man is in pain?

HEY, this soap opera has been going on longer than one life to live.
Me, I would have kept the first one, you think that mild drop was the most of it? probably the least.
Remember the old Samsonite commercial with the mankeys and the suitcase?
If I did send it back I would certainly insist on Fed Ex.
Those guys know their stuff.:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-14-2008, 06:58 AM
Don't know what a mankey is, but how can you describe what I saw as a "mild drop"? This is you, once again, twisting what others say then stating it as fact. Don't you get it? I wasn't embellishing what I saw when the jerk pick up, walked to the edge of the truck, then toss MY RECEIVER out into the street okay?

And like you certainly will when you new receiver shows up in a box that "rattles" when you shake it
There wasn't anything helpful in that post, and there's no indication of your interpretataion of sarcasm either. When you got called on it:

HEY, this soap opera has been going on longer than one life to live.
Me, I would have kept the first one, you think that mild drop was the most of it? probably the least.
How 'bout: deliberate drop? Again pix, he also LIED about it. That was enough to anger me, and probably any other individual, so if you put 2 + 2 together on top of DHL's reputation as being a bottom feeder, that to me = take the box and get the F**K out of here. Also, as I ALREADY stated, I was told by 6ave that they are contracted with DHL and I wouldn't be able to use another carrier.

More time wasted correcting an obstenate poster.

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I called 6ave last evening to get status on my replacement and was told that the paperwork would be put on the managers desk this morning to be signed off then #2 would be shipped.

Weeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll...

I called today to make sure they were going to ship it tonite and that I'll be looking for the order confirmation and the tracking number, and if I don't get it after 7 pm tonite which is what the rep assured me would happen, I'm going to demand a refund. After being put on hold for about five minutes, Roger, the CS rep, told me he'd have to call me back after he investigated because their records indicate that the package was delivered.

:mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: :mad5: <== Only allowed ten images

The rest of the conversation, if included here would be unrecognizable because of this site's censoring s/w.

GMichael
02-15-2008, 02:52 PM
That sucks dude. So sorry about the mess. I guess that now wouldn't be a good time to remind you that you should have listened to Pix. He knew this would happen.
D@MMIT! My frickin' detector just blew up!

L.J.
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh man.....

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I was going to skip the liquor store on my way home from work...

Needless to say I'm getting ready to belly up to Tequilla shot #2.

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
I really feel like I deserve a reddie for not listening to him, ya know?

:ihih:

musicman1999
02-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your delivery trouble man that really sucks, but that is one of the reasons i only use b&m stores for audio buys.

bill

Rich-n-Texas
02-15-2008, 07:47 PM
I'll get satisfaction Bill, don't worry. One way or the other, I'll get what I want.

Rich-n-Texas
02-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Bumped for Audioholics members.

pixelthis
02-17-2008, 11:37 PM
I really feel like I deserve a reddie for not listening to him, ya know?

:ihih:

Its just that I have had some experience, and if we are ever going to get hit by an asteroid
All WE NEED to do is put a pile of those stryofoam peanuts where its going to hit, and we'll
have nothing to worry about.
Next time inspect the device first, THEN send it back.
Thing is you're a yuppie, probably never worked a real days labor in your life, so you don't know, but something in a box full of those things is practically in its mommas arms.
Probably still woulda kicked the delivery ape in the ankle tho:1:

pixelthis
02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Thing is you cant worry about where stuff comes from in this society, thats why its hell to be as anal as rich in todays world.
Everything from a burger to a new SUV you buy on a leap of faith, because you don't know where ANY of it came from.
I got a 47in panny from CIRCUIT, they wheeled it out and you wouldn't beleive the box,
My friend with the truck said "dude, did that thing come thru Iraq on its way here"?
But it worked fine for several years.
Anyway you're puting up with this to save some money, theres no such thing as a free lunch you know.
And just remember, the pain you're going through is NOTHING compared to the pain everybody on this board will go through for the next six months because of the questions you'll be asking, because you wont read the instructions:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 11:03 AM
The paperwork for #2 was submitted to DHL today. I wonder how many states it'll bounce around before it heads south. :rolleyes:

If there's a brite spot in this next adventure it's that one less goon will be getting his paws on it because I instructed 6ave to include a note that says hold it at the depot. We'll see.

The saga continues...

GMichael
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Good luck Rich. I hope they aren't shipping you the same one you just sent back.

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 11:10 AM
"Thank you for your support" :frown2:

GMichael
02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
I did say, "aren't." I'm on your side man. May you get an undropped trouble free unit that jams for years to come.

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 11:18 AM
I know that GM.

I feel like I've been pregnant and now I'm getting ready to deliver a new member of the household. I should probably give it a name if/when it finally arrives.

I can't believe this thread's over 100 posts long either.

GMichael
02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Ouch! You're going to give birth to a 38 pounder. Dang buddy. You a BIG girl now.

L.J.
02-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Are these units being double boxed?

I'm quite sure these things are tossed around everywhere while in transit. I've been screwed by UPS a few times. I even had UPS deliver a reboxed item to me. They didn't even try to play it off....they put the item in a new box and just cut the packing slip off the old one and taped it to the new box.

I even had a box get delivered and you could tell that had got wet while in transit :nonod:

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Yes, they are double-boxed. I asked their CS twice to reassure me that they weren't just putting the same unit into a new box and they told me that can't happen because for one thing the original unit is delivered to a warehouse separate from the location where new units are sent from, and the second thing is that they treat replacements as a new order with a separate order number, which I have. Of course I'm suspicious of anything they say now, but what else can I do but hope for the best? A guy I work with told me I should've marked the manufacturer box as "dropped" which wouldn't have been hard to do since the friggin box was open with peanuts blowing out of it, but who's to say they wouldn't just swap that receiver into another box.

Live and lean I guess but if you consider that my total savings including the free shipping (MSRP = $1,700) was really closer to $700, it's a hard deal to refuse.

I'll lambast pix later for some of his dumb comments, but one thing he's right about is that there WILL be a lot of questions in the next six months because I want to be sure everything's functioning properly.

L.J.
02-19-2008, 12:25 PM
It'll all work out. Isn't this just a problem with the delivery service though? Do you have beef with 6thAve?

Rich-n-Texas
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
It'll all work out. Isn't this just a problem with the delivery service though? Do you have beef with 6thAve?
Essentially yes, it's more to do with DHL than 6ave. But 6ave's CS people gave me incorrect information 2 or 3 times which pissed me off. And then when I talked to Roger ( :rolleyes: ) on Friday and he said he'd have to investigate because the order shows as shipped... even though there were all sorts of notes on the first order that I wanted included, and a "returned on" tracking number on the tracking stats, which is what they access just like I do, that put me over the edge with them. I think it was the second or third exchange between myself and 6ave (which seems like nine months ago) where I told them that even though I appreciate that they're giving such a great deal on this receiver, chances are I'll never purchase from them again because of the delivery company they choose to contract with.

Edited due to all sorts of spelling and grammar errors. :rolleyes:

pixelthis
02-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Good luck Rich. I hope they aren't shipping you the same one you just sent back.

Oops!
Dont worry rich, hes kidding!
We don't ALL beleive that!(well, actually we do)

Do like I did with a kit computer I sent back.
When the delivery guy turned around I marked it with a pen.
THE NEXT ONE I got back, well, you guessed it.
What a coincidence!:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 05:18 AM
Do like I did with a kit computer I sent back.
When the delivery guy turned around I marked it with a pen.
THE NEXT ONE I got back, well, you guessed it.
What a coincidence!:1:
NO! You're kidding me. Really pix, really?
Guess they took you for a real dumba$$, huh?

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Its just that I have had some experience, and if we are ever going to get hit by an asteroid
All WE NEED to do is put a pile of those stryofoam peanuts where its going to hit, and we'll
have nothing to worry about.
Okay pix, you go first. :rolleyes:

Next time inspect the device first, THEN send it back.
Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20.
Get the picture?

Thing is you're a yuppie, probably never worked a real days labor in your life, so you don't know, but something in a box full of those things is practically in its mommas arms.
I'm a yuppie, and a marketing type too right? Keep guessing Bozo.

Probably still woulda kicked the delivery ape in the ankle tho:1:
Here in Texas the mankeys, apes and baboons have guns.

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 05:31 AM
Thing is you cant worry about where stuff comes from in this society, thats why its hell to be as anal as rich in todays world.
Anal? I prefer the word... cautious.

Everything from a burger to a new SUV you buy on a leap of faith, because you don't know where ANY of it came from.
I got a 47in panny from CIRCUIT, they wheeled it out and you wouldn't beleive the box,
My friend with the truck said "dude, did that thing come thru Iraq on its way here"?
But it worked fine for several years.
Anyway you're puting up with this to save some money, theres no such thing as a free lunch you know.
Thank you oh great and wise one. Your words of wisdom inspire me to achieve greatness!

And just remember, the pain you're going through is NOTHING compared to the pain everybody on this board will go through for the next six months because of the questions you'll be asking, because you wont read the instructions:1:
There you go again speaking for people WHO DON'T LIKE YOU! :18:

GMichael
02-20-2008, 05:57 AM
You two play nice back there. DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND!

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 06:16 AM
Uhhh... well, that depends on WHERE THIS CAR IS GOING!

BTW, #2 is on its way with a Friday delivery estimate.

Mods, let's clear out some bandwidth 'cause the questions will be coming hot-n-heavy any day now.

GMichael
02-20-2008, 06:17 AM
Just two more days huh? How long have you been waiting now? Have you got any fingernails left?

Rich-n-Texas
02-20-2008, 06:44 AM
I ordered the first one on Jan 24, so it'll be two days shy of a month for the turnaround, IF the package actually does arrive when they estimate.

Still have fingernails, but like I was telling my boss this morning, the cost of my anti-psychotic meds went up due to increased dosage requirements.:crazy:

pixelthis
02-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Be carefull, its a GM product so it probably doesnt have a reverse gear

pixelthis
02-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Okay pix, you go first. :rolleyes:

Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20. Hindsight is 20/20.
Get the picture?

I'm a yuppie, and a marketing type too right? Keep guessing Bozo.

Here in Texas the mankeys, apes and baboons have guns.

Better watch it with the "hind sight" some of the guys might complain.
And here in bama you get your first gun in the first grade, not gonna let a little thing like gunfire stop ya are ya?:1:

pixelthis
02-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I ordered the first one on Jan 24, so it'll be two days shy of a month for the turnaround, IF the package actually does arrive when they estimate.

Still have fingernails, but like I was telling my boss this morning, the cost of my anti-psychotic meds went up due to increased dosage requirements.:crazy:

Well, you're taking more meds so something good is coming outta this:1:

GMichael
02-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Be carefull, its a GM product so it probably doesnt have a reverse gear

The E brake will work just fine.

pixelthis
02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
The E brake will work just fine.

Back in the seventies a friend in a Vega pulled the "E brake", wound up holding
it in his hand.
AMAZING just how long a Vega can float:1:

Rich-n-Texas
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Uhhh... Back in the 70's when I was in Driver's Ed a blonde student driver, when told to pass the car in front of her put it in P for pass.

So top that pix! :rolleyes:

Rich-n-Texas
02-22-2008, 05:57 AM
... or are counting turnaround time, my receiver is on it's way to its final depot. 22 days if I accept delivery today. I will admit that it looks like they held to their word about expediting this delivery, but it's too little too late as far as I'm concerned.

So far, I've recommended to two people who've PM'ed me to NOT buy from 6ave, and a couple of people on Audioholics, where I also posted my experience veered away from 6ave as well.

GMichael
02-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Tic toc, tic toc. Do you have welcome banners up?

Rich-n-Texas
02-22-2008, 07:05 AM
No. Just my guard.

Truth is, at this point the thrill is gone. There are always going to be unanswered questions in the back of my mind about the receiver's integrity... is it the same one that Magilla dropped? Is the front plate going to fall off when I take it out of the box? Is some feature that I don't know how to use right now going to fail and damage something inside the unit the first time I try it? The entire purchasing experience has been tarnished because of one (or more) individual who's laziness and lack of respect for other people's property caused so much anguish and anger. Was the savings really worth it?

L.J.
02-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Was the savings really worth it?

I think so. These things happen.....heck you could have gotten the same CS/delivery issues on a full priced unit.

GMichael
02-22-2008, 07:24 AM
That depends on what your system ends up sounding like. The savings let you upgrade from the 1800 to the 3800 right? It should do a much better job than your old HTR.

Luvin Da Blues
02-22-2008, 07:35 AM
No. Just my guard.

Truth is, at this point the thrill is gone. There are always going to be unanswered questions in the back of my mind about the receiver's integrity... is it the same one that Magilla dropped? Is the front plate going to fall off when I take it out of the box? Is some feature that I don't know how to use right now going to fail and damage something inside the unit the first time I try it? The entire purchasing experience has been tarnished because of one (or more) individual who's laziness and lack of respect for other people's property caused so much anguish and anger. Was the savings really worth it?

Just relax Rich, I'm sure everything will be fine. Enjoy your unit and only worry IF something goes wrong. :)

Rich-n-Texas
02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm not looking for pity or anything like that, but as always I appreciate the encouragement. I can say with confidence that I've NEVER had an experience like this before in my life.

One last rant. :rolleyes:
Latest tracking info shows my box as "with courier for delivery".:incazzato:

NOOOOOOO! I said... hold the freakin box at the depot so I can pick it up myself!!! :incazzato: I told 6ave CS three different times to include that instruction in the delivery note, but when I called the DHL rep, he said no such note was on the docs.:incazzato:I told them I won't be home and I don't want another situation like I had with the last driver. The rep told me he'd contact the driver and tell him not to deliver it. And he told me I could pick it up from the depot this evening. Can you believe this???

So, round & round the neighborhood it goes, where it stops... NOBODY knows. :cryin:

GMichael
02-22-2008, 01:45 PM
It showed up here! But don't worry. I'll send my 2500 right down.

Rich-n-Texas
02-22-2008, 03:15 PM
It showed up here! But don't worry. I'll send my 2500 right down.
I better laugh now. Looks like pix is in the neighborhood.

:lol: :( :cryin:

oaqm
02-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Did you ever get your receiver? They have locked the thread on the Audioholics forum.

Rich-n-Texas
02-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I went to the DHL depot tonite and picked it up. I've unpacked it and everything looks okay. I'm not going to go into detail any further about tonite's dealings with DHL, but the poster over on Audioholics was right. I had a bad delivery guy. Judging by what I experienced when I was there, it's not likely there are any good drivers, office staff, or front desk help at this particular location. For 6th Avenue Electronics' part, their CS is a joke, but when I did unpack the receiver I was impressed with how much protection surrounded the receiver and how well it was packed in their box. Nevertheless, the only way I'll ever purchase anything from them again is if I move back to Jersey, and THAT ain't gonna happen.

More later.

L.J.
02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Well........we're waiting.....

pixelthis
02-25-2008, 03:46 AM
I went to the DHL depot tonite and picked it up. I've unpacked it and everything looks okay. I'm not going to go into detail any further about tonite's dealings with DHL, but the poster over on Audioholics was right. I had a bad delivery guy. Judging by what I experienced when I was there, it's not likely there are any good drivers, office staff, or front desk help at this particular location. For 6th Avenue Electronics' part, their CS is a joke, but when I did unpack the receiver I was impressed with how much protection surrounded the receiver and how well it was packed in their box. Nevertheless, the only way I'll ever purchase anything from them again is if I move back to Jersey, and THAT ain't gonna happen.

More later.

And I'll bet Jersey is upset about that.

A few words, (at the risk of being condescending)

The one thing not ever packed with new gear is patience.

You will have problems, everybody does with a complicated piece of kit like this.
And just because it "works" doesnt mean its optimal, might take months of tweaking to get the sound "right".
But you are going to have a lot of fun, and you might finally understand what I was
saying about those B&W speakers when you get them hooked up:1:

GMichael
02-25-2008, 06:26 AM
And I'll bet Jersey is upset about that.

A few words, (at the risk of being condescending)

The one thing not ever packed with new gear is patience.

You will have problems, everybody does with a complicated piece of kit like this.
And just because it "works" doesnt mean its optimal, might take months of tweaking to get the sound "right".
But you are going to have a lot of fun, and you might finally understand what I was
saying about those B&W speakers when you get them hooked up:1:

Huh? Are you turning soft on us Pix?

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 08:02 AM
What gave it away GM? Do you think the kinder, gentler pix felt it would be better to say "kit" instead of sh!t?:idea:

GMichael
02-25-2008, 08:09 AM
What gave it away GM? Do you think the kinder, gentler pix felt it would be better to say "kit" instead of sh!t?:idea:

It's just that he's being understanding and sympathetic. I think we should all start being nicer to Pix. It looks like he's trying to meet us half way.

Rich-n-Texas
02-25-2008, 10:32 AM
It's just that he's being understanding and sympathetic. I think we should all start being nicer to Pix. It looks like he's trying to meet us half way.
More like... It looks like he's here to stay.:1:

pixelthis
02-26-2008, 01:30 AM
More like... It looks like he's here to stay.:1:

just trying to brighten your day.
Is rhyming class over now?

BUT NOT EVEN I am evil enough to try to spoil rich's fun
(almost but not quite)

Rich has made a big step up, hes about to find out what a quality set of amps do to a set of B&W speakers.
And in a year he'll be shopping for even better amps to plug into the back of that new toy of his.
In other words a new HT enthusiaist has been born.

Kinda brings a little... tear to the eye:1:

pixelthis
02-26-2008, 01:31 AM
I notice you have the effects speakers wired, what speakers do you plan to use for them?:1:

bfalls
02-26-2008, 05:38 AM
I believe Rich is using the bi-amp option.

Rich-n-Texas
02-26-2008, 05:49 AM
I notice you have the effects speakers wired, what speakers do you plan to use for them?:1:
Not sure what you mean by this. The mains are bi-amped and those connections are made to the "Surround Back/Bi-amp" jacks. The set above them is for the Presence/Zone 2/Zone 3 speakers. I'd eventually like to make use of those connections using the speakers from my bookshelf surround sound system that you hate so much, but at this point it doesn't look like I can change a specific zone's impedence to match the 6 ohm mid & tweeters in those speakers. Too bad too because those speakers also have separate 8 ohm subs built in.

pixelthis
02-27-2008, 12:19 AM
I dont think a two ohm difference will matter, really.
You might use them to try it, and get an inexpensive pair later if you do.
This is solely a Yamaha thing, but I have heard good things about it:1: