Officially Changing From Audiophile [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Officially Changing From Audiophile

O'Shag
01-24-2008, 07:33 PM
After reading some of the posts on other forums, the term Audiophile now scares me. I am starting to associate it with pontificating know-it-alls that believe their way or view is the only way; they're system or equipment is better than anyone elses and they are therefore 'officially' superior; an authority above all others. Whos to say what preamp, amp, speaker technology etc is better in all areas than another. Its all based on opinion in many cases. My system, for what it is, is good for me, and yes I want to make it better. But I'm not an Audiophile any more. Consider me an Audio Enthusiast that loves the audio hobby. I'm glad that AudioReview is not full of pontificating know-it-alls, but more people that want to share their enthusiasm and help others. :idea:

Mr Peabody
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry O'Shag, once the stench of audiophile is on you, you can't get it off :)

Don't let a few bad apples spoil....... whatever.

O'Shag
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks Mr P.

bobsticks
01-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry O'Shag, once the stench of audiophile is on you, you can't get it off :)

Don't let a few bad apples spoil....... whatever.

Are you implying certain members of this forum have a skunk-like odor?

Sorry Shaggy, seems as though your stunk down here wit' the rest of us...

O'Shag
01-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Cheers Bobsticks mate, not at all. The contrary, I think this is a great forum and the guys are great here. I was referring to one or two of the other forums. I think Mr P is right, now I think about it a few bad apples and all. I wasn't actually involved in any verbage or posts, just looking through posts on another forum. Man some of those people are scary nuts. They club you to death if you say anything to contradict them, even if it is a harmless comment. Frankly mate, I really like everyone here. Theres a good vibe - ya know..

Bernd
01-25-2008, 12:40 AM
After reading some of the posts on other forums, the term Audiophile now scares me. I am starting to associate it with pontificating know-it-alls that believe their way or view is the only way; they're system or equipment is better than anyone elses and they are therefore 'officially' superior; an authority above all others. Whos to say what preamp, amp, speaker technology etc is better in all areas than another. Its all based on opinion in many cases. My system, for what it is, is good for me, and yes I want to make it better. But I'm not an Audiophile any more. Consider me an Audio Enthusiast that loves the audio hobby. I'm glad that AudioReview is not full of pontificating know-it-alls, but more people that want to share their enthusiasm and help others. :idea:

Good on you.
I have been drifting away from the Audiophile affliction for some time now. Ever since I got the SME has the chase on the merry go round slowed down or came to a complete stop.
I am really looking only for a musical presentation that suits me. Don't care for graphs or measurements or all the audio babble. If the gear has a sound that I like I will go for it. I do like to find stuff that has some character. Not interested anymore in the flatest curve. I am looking into some horns at the moment, as I always liked what they do.
So am I cured? Probably not, but I am enjoying my music more than ever and have honestly stopped freting about this HF extension or that LF integration.
My listening room is my cave to relax and enjoy some tunes. I came to realise that the last thing I need there is some little voice in my ear telling me that it all sounds cack and will be better if I buy the next big flavour of the month.
Phew. Friday morning rant over.
Have a good weekend one and all.

Peace

:21:

And I was singin’

Bye, bye, to religion hi-fi

I’d been drinking without thinking, now the well has run dry

And good ol’ audiophools can fight till they die

But they can carry on without I

I now have ceased to sing the blues

No longer read the “Hi-Fi News”

I simply smile and turn away

I don’t go to the hi-fi store

Where the music left me years before

For in such stores the music doesn’t play

The only thing that’s there are dreams

At prices taken to extremes

Absurdity unspoken

And logic totally broken

I’m happily singin’

Bye, bye, to religion hi-fi

I’d been drinking without thinking, now the well has run dry

And good ol’ audiophools can fight till they die

But they can carry on without I

bobsticks
01-25-2008, 03:05 AM
A heartful "Well said!" to both y'all, gentlemen. I'll raise my glass to euphony--always have, always will.

How's things on the island, B?

Ajani
01-25-2008, 05:43 AM

Don't worry about it... this site really isn't too bad... for the most part, people are helpful rather than pompous... but just keep in mind that audio, much like cars or many other hobbies will always have its fair share of snobs and elitists... The important thing is to enjoy what you do and don't feel bad when some rich snob tells you that your Honda S2000 is crap compared to his Ferrari....

All that matters is that you enjoy your setup....

johnny p
01-25-2008, 06:33 AM
I have always considered myself just a regular guy, who wants to make informed decisions on what I purchase, so I'll be happy with my purchases..... that's what brings me here.

GMichael
01-25-2008, 06:38 AM
I just like music. Oh, and to bust peoples chops.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm a dumba$$, that's why I'm here.

Bernd
01-25-2008, 08:02 AM

Alexandre Dumas - that's you? Man, you're as old as Mel.

Rich-n-Texas
01-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Alexandre Dumas - that's you? Man, you're as old as Mel.
Who is this Alexandre Dumas anyway? I keep reading posts about him.

OOOOOOOOH!!! Now I get it! :blush2:

Bernd
01-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Who is this Alexandre Dumas anyway? I keep reading posts about him.

OOOOOOOOH!!! Now I get it! :blush2:

:cornut: :cornut: :cornut:

O'Shag
01-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Bernd, thats a good poem!!

Ajani, yes I did see a pattern as you describe, and I don't see that happening here. But Mr. P is right on the money. Don't let a few bad apples spoil the barrel so to speak.

Did any of you see the soccer game the other night? Spurs thrashed Arsenal 5-1. Thats an accomplishment!! Hope the Pats beat the Giants next week..

basite
01-27-2008, 03:55 AM
nah man, once the bug bit ya, you can't leave...

Kinda like Hotel California :cornut:

ah that was a good album....

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Luvin Da Blues
01-27-2008, 04:30 AM

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Still is, mon ami, still is. :)

Ajani
01-27-2008, 07:00 AM
nah man, once the bug bit ya, you can't leave...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

That's still one of my must play songs, when I audition new equipment...

basite
01-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Still is, mon ami, still is. :)

*turns on Hotel California, on vinyl of course*

yeah, I can agree with you :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
01-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Hotel California? Why would anyone want waste vinyl on sucha shjtty album?

It's really a terrible album, but my point is that we all have our own taste. True Audiophiles do not judge or look down on others, based on preferences.

Hotel California, Bert?.....sigh.....

Feanor
01-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Hotel California? Why would anyone want waste vinyl on sucha shjtty album?

It's really a terrible album, but my point is that we all have our own taste. True Audiophiles do not judge or look down on others, based on preferences.

Hotel California, Bert?.....sigh.....

I'd never heard of Hotel California before this thread. Allmusic Guide says the genre is "Easy Listening". That explains it :cornut: I actually prefer challenging listening

pixelthis
01-28-2008, 12:41 AM

(slamming hand in refrigerator door)
PLEASE! I'm trying to play nice!
Comments like that one dont make it too easy:nonod:

basite
01-28-2008, 07:32 AM
I'd never heard of Hotel California before this thread. Allmusic Guide says the genre is "Easy Listening". That explains it :cornut: I actually prefer challenging listening

I'd call it rock of somekind...

but easy listening?