What band have you never seen that you really want to? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What band have you never seen that you really want to?

Dave_G
03-03-2004, 09:13 AM
I have missed quite a few bands over the years for various reasons, and sure do wish I could have another opportunity to do so.

They are:

1) The Who

2) Deep Purple

3) AC/DC with Bon Scott

4) King Crimson on the Discipline tour

5) Thin Lizzy (altho I never really had a formal opp. to see them)

6) Ozzy

7) Black Sabbath

8) Marillion

9) Paul McCartney

10) The Allman Brothers

What about you?

Dave

newtrix1
03-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Followed by U2 and Springsteen (if I didn't have to pay for admission) :)

Ex Lion Tamer
03-03-2004, 09:45 AM
followed by Stiff Little Fingers, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, the Stranglers and Wire (though I did see them in the mid-'80s, I wish I could've in '79).

Mark
NP: "Away" The Feelies (saw them open for REM and they were great!)

DarrenH
03-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Gov't Mule for sure. I would love to catch this band.

King Crimson would also be sweet.

Porcupine Tree too!

Dave, I saw The Who back in '88. Or was it '89? Anyway, it was the 25th Anniversary tour and it was excellent. Selected venues during this tour got the complete performance of Tommy. I'm glad mine wasn't one of them as it may have led to the omission of some great tunes, tunes that I got to see and hear.

Seen Ozzy too! It was back in '94 I believe. At that time I was into Ozzy but I wouldn't go see him now. I still like his music. I don't have the same interest as I did then.

Newtrix, I seen U2 back in '87 in support of The Joshua Tree. The concert was at JFK stadium in Philly. I was in the military and living there at the time. Anyway, Bruce made a cameo appearance during the show and the crowd went absolutely wild. What a show that was. That same year I saw Bowie at the Spectrum in support of his Never Let Me Down release. A very theatrical performance that was.

If I could go back in time and see one band it would be Zeppelin. However, I did see the closest thing to that when Plant - Page toured back in '94. They played many of the old Zeppelin tunes, the tunes found on the No Quarter release. Still a great show.

Darren

MindGoneHaywire
03-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Good thread. I'd say Iggy Pop tops my list, and especially now that the Stooges are back together...and who knows, I may just get the chance. After that, definitely the Velvet Underground. I was quite disappointed when they decided to do a reunion tour in Europe only, in 1993, but then when I heard the album that was made from that tour I felt a wee bit better about it. But when I hear stuff like live 1969 & the Quine tapes I really feel like I missed something big & special. Then there are some usual suspects like the New York Dolls. I did see solo performances by David Jo, Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers, & Sylvain Sylvain, but only David Jo truly satisfied. On Halloween I went to a loft party in a neighborhood in Brooklyn that, let's just say, I don't travel to very often. The Witnesses dressed up like the Dolls & did an outstanding Dolls set, so I must say I feel just a bit better about that. I suppose I would've liked to have seen the Beatles, except for the fact that existing records of most of their live performances, excepting Hamburg & the Cavern Club, make it seem like being there just wouldn't have been so great. I guess I should've tried to go see the Who & the Clash at Shea Stadium in 1982 (David Jo opened), but it wasn't in the cards. In high school everyone was a Who fan; when I got into college, everyone that had been there was convinced the Clash were superior that night. I'd go with that assessment myself. If I could pick a time when I would've wanted to have seen the Who, it definitely would've been prior to 1968. The live performances I've seen after then were good, but just not my cup of tea arrangement-wise. I would've liked to have caught that Quadrophenia tour a few years back, though. I do think the Clash would've been a better bet at Bond's than Shea, but anything would've been better than nothing with them. Also worthy of mention would be Tom Waits, Dylan, Nick Cave, Elvis Costello, Rockpile, John Cale, the Jam, the Dictators, Led Zeppelin, the first Miles Davis Quintet, just about any John Coltrane performance through A Love Supreme, Frank Sinatra in the 50s or early 60s, Big Joe Turner in the 40s, Billie Holiday in the 30s, & Louis Armstrong in the 20s.

-Jar-
03-03-2004, 10:36 AM
I wasn't sure if you meant current or broken up bands.. there's not many current bands I'd pay good $$ to see anymore.. except for your smaller club acts.. though I did miss British Sea Power! :mad:

my short list of bands I never saw:

Husker Du (though I saw Bob Mould twice after Husker Du broke up ((amazingly awseome)), though I never saw Sugar)
Smashing Pumpkins
My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau Twins
Galaxie 500
Minutemen/fIREHOSE
Judas Priest
Massive Attack (they're not much of a band anymore though)
Dismemberment Plan (I had several chances too.. you just don't expect younger bands like that to suddenly break up)

-jar

tentoze
03-03-2004, 11:21 AM
I have missed quite a few bands over the years for various reasons, and sure do wish I could have another opportunity to do so.

They are:

1) The Who

2) Deep Purple

3) AC/DC with Bon Scott

4) King Crimson on the Discipline tour

5) Thin Lizzy (altho I never really had a formal opp. to see them)

6) Ozzy

7) Black Sabbath

8) Marillion

9) Paul McCartney

10) The Allman Brothers

What about you?

Dave
For older artists, top of the list would be V. Morrison, J. Armatrading, The Who, J. Hiatt, probably Family. Newer ones on the list: British Sea Power, Decemberists, Okkervil River, Mountain Goats, Songs:Ohia, and more probably in both categories if I thought about it for a few minutes.

Troy
03-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Zappa. I had my chance and decided to go and see Sammy Hagar that night instead. I was a stupid teenager.

Thin Lizzy were good. I saw them open for Kansas in about 1977.

Springsteen was amazing. I find his studio work boring as hell though.

Marillion with Fish was terrific. They were SUCH and aberration in 1985.

Go see the current King Crimson. They're better than the Discipline line-up anyway.

McCartney was boring. All gloss.

The Jam were fun. High energy.

Dave_G
03-03-2004, 12:01 PM
I saw them once and they were excellent.

Ya know, that famous pic on the front of the London Calling album was taken right here at the Famous Agora Ballroom, where most rock/punk/new wave bands played.

On that same stage I saw Oingo Boingo, Peter Tosh, the Plasmatics, Gary Numan, XTC, Ultravox, and many others.

But I saw the Clash across the street in the Fox, during the Combat Rock tour, and there was a huge riot afterwards, all hell broke loose, it was nuts, but boy the gig was sure good.

Dave

mad rhetorik
03-03-2004, 12:47 PM
Now-defunct bands I wish I could see live:

<b>ANY SHOW</b> by Jimi freakin' Hendrix
The Clash (around the time <b>London Calling</b> was released)
The Ramones
Joy Division
The Pixies
Miles Davis (first or second quintet, and <i>nothing</i> after 1969)
John Coltrane (preferably his quartet with Tyner/Garrison/Jones)
King Crimson (the Wetton/Bruford/Cross lineup, the <b>Discipline</b> tour, or possibly the Double Trio shows)
Pink Floyd (either with Syd Barrett or at the height of <b>The Wall</b> Tour)
Stevie Ray Vaughn w/ Double Trouble
The Velvet Underground
Neil Young And Crazy Horse (with Danny Whitten and Bruce Berry)
Led Zeppelin (of course)
Soundgarden
Black Sabbath (original lineup)
The Who (at their prime in the late '60s)
My Bloody Valentine (their shows must've been wild)
The Allman Brothers (with Duane Allman in their ranks)
The Mahavishnu Orchestra (the original lineup)
The Talking Heads
The Dismemberment Plan
The Stooges (with Ron Asheton, and <b>ONLY</b> Asheton, on guitar)
Megadeth (with Marty Friedman and Nick Menza)
Anthrax (with Joey Belladonna)
Death (any one of their 1991-2002 lineups)
Kyuss
The Refused
The MC5
Rage Against The Machine
Mr. Bungle

Bands that still exist that I want to see live:

Meshuggah
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Opeth
Porcupine Tree
The White Stripes
The John Spencer Blues Xplosion
Pearl Jam
Snapcase
My Morning Jacket
Godspeed You Black Emperor!
Sigur Ros
Queens Of The Stone Age
And of course, Bob Dylan. I mean, he's f--king <i>Bob Dylan</i> after all. : P

MindGoneHaywire
03-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Dave, I thought you were in Atlanta? You talking about the Agora in Cleveland? Legendary place...played there once to a near-empty room.

The London Calling photo was taken at the Palladium in New York City.

Troy--in 1984 I had Zappa tix, good tickets, actually at Jones Beach on Long Island. I ended up getting chicken pox & had to bag it. I did get to see the Pretenders there, though, a couple of weeks before that. But then I've also had to eat a Dylan/Steve Earle ticket. Oh, well.

Troy
03-03-2004, 04:17 PM
Troy--in 1984 I had Zappa tix, good tickets, actually at Jones Beach on Long Island. I ended up getting chicken pox & had to bag it. I did get to see the Pretenders there, though, a couple of weeks before that. But then I've also had to eat a Dylan/Steve Earle ticket. Oh, well.

Yeah, eating tix is no fun. I had to eat Tubes tix in a small club in the late 70s. They cancelled last second and I couldn't make the rescheduled date. Ended up never seeing them either.

Dusty Chalk
03-03-2004, 08:07 PM
Skinny Puppy
New Model Army
Golden Earring
Marillion -- almost saw them when they opened for Rush, would've loved to have seen that

Ones that I've seen, "back in the day", but haven't seen in so long, would love to see them again: King Crimson (well, not that long ago), Black Sabbath (also not so long ago), Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, the Gathering, Metallica when they didn't suck (Kill 'Em All/Ride the Lightning/Blaster of Muppets/...And Justice For All).

Sealed
03-04-2004, 12:27 AM
I missed an opportunity to see Led Zeppelin's final show before Bonzo died. I highly regret that. They were rock Gods, and that would have been an awesome experiance.

Dream theater

Pink Floyd with Roger Waters

Iron maiden

Black Sabbath with Ozzy

Yngvie Malmsteen

Joe Satriani

Queen

yamdsp-a1
03-04-2004, 07:27 AM
Here goes, and I have to admit to running pretty low on ideas...

Paul McCartney

Def Leppard - I know, I know but I would have liked to see them back in the day

Metallica

Coldplay

Eric Clapton

James Brown

Aretha Franklin

Although I hate to admit it, I am completely out of touch with what is happening in music (can't you tell by the list???) - don't listen to the radio, don't watch MTV - but I am open to suggestions...

Bands I have seen and would see again :

Ozzy/Black Sabbath - anytime, anywhere (8 times and counting...)

The Tea Party

U2

Disturbed

The Rolling Stones

Prince

Bands I will never get a chance to see but would have:

Queen

Elvis Presley

The Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

The Doors

Led Zeppelin (saw Page Plant but it wasn't the same)

Buddy Holly

I'm sure there are many many more in all three areas...

Yam

Dave_G
03-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Me too missed Led Zepplin, but I have seen Plant solo several times, one particular gig was very excellent.

I would also like to see GOV'T MULE, Dream Theatre, Yngwie.

Never got to see Pink Floyd with Roger either, but have seen Roger solo several times and he was EXCELLENT, much better than the PF without him (I call it the David Gilmore band).

Oh, plus Camel, never got to see them, and Spocks Beard.

Troy, the Tubes were excellent live. Saw 'em once.

Dave

mad rhetorik
03-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Although I hate to admit it, I am completely out of touch with what is happening in music (can't you tell by the list???) - don't listen to the radio, don't watch MTV - but I am open to suggestions...

Given the current state of music these days, maybe it's better that you don't watch MTV. I stopped watching it because I was getting tired of frosted-hair mallrats trying to tell me that <b>"OMG DOOD LIMP BIZKIT IS THE $HIT!!"</b> or that Good Charlotte and A Simple Plan are "punk." F--k that. I'd rather punch myself in the face repeatedly than watch MTV.