cerwin vega subs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : cerwin vega subs

sgt bass08
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi can someone tell me wants the different bewteen the cerwin vega CLSC 15SX sub and the CLS 15S sub. As ive just brougth the CLSC15 SX and some other guy on ebay is selling the CLS 15S and they both have the same spec 200 watts each but the CLSC 15SX dosent have the cerwin vega symbol inside the speaker cone.

sgt bass08
01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
here guys got some pic to make it easy for you.

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR224331 thats the cls 15s

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR175285 thats the clsc 15sx

SlumpBuster
01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, they have different amplifiers. That explains a difference in peak power and price. It could be that they switch suppliers, that the old supplier crapped out, or that they wanted to put a better amp in there. You have to remember that just because they are rated the same (200 watts rms) doesn't mean they perform the same or sound the same. That is especially true when it comes to bass performance. A 100 watt Technics receiver is not gooing to perform as well as a 100 watt Velodyne plate amp when it comes to pushing a 12" subwoofer.

sgt bass08
01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
If I had to guess, and this is just a guess, they have different amplifiers. That explains a difference in peak power and price. It could be that they switch suppliers, that the old supplier crapped out, or that they wanted to put a better amp in there. You have to remember that just because they are rated the same (200 watts rms) doesn't mean they perform the same or sound the same. That is especially true when it comes to bass performance. A 100 watt Technics receiver is not gooing to perform as well as a 100 watt Velodyne plate amp when it comes to pushing a 12" subwoofer.

Hi thanks it was making me think as i brought the CLSC 15SX and then some other guy on ebay puts on the CLS-15S .Would i be better going with the CLS -15S.As they look exally the same in dimension and style As i feel left out because i wont the one with the symbol :) but for specs there not much differents.

johnny p
01-25-2008, 06:35 AM
want my sub? CV Model Sub-150 Please??? Take it???? PLEAAASSSEE!!!!

(I need a new sub obviously!)

sgt bass08
01-25-2008, 07:07 AM
want my sub? CV Model Sub-150 Please??? Take it???? PLEAAASSSEE!!!!

(I need a new sub obviously!)

LOL i would but ive just brought one. whats your spec on your sub does it sound strong.ive always wanted cerwin vega sub now ive got one :).just gotta pick it up tomorrow.

audio amateur
01-25-2008, 07:31 AM
Tell me you didn't just buy a Cerwin Wega sub..

sgt bass08
01-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Tell me you didn't just buy a Cerwin Wega sub..

yeah whats wrong with that.have you seen the specs for cerwin vega subs.theres not many subwoofers with the power of cerwin vegas my is the CLSC 15SX :p

johnny p
01-25-2008, 07:47 AM
mine is a Cerwin Vega, Sub, Model-150 (that's what it says on the back) It's 15" downward firing, and I have no idea on the specs...... the one thing I do know, is that it's BIG, LOUD, and HEAVY. The stupid thing kicks on/off with a noticable "thump" when you have it on energy savings setting..... it did that since I purchased it brand new.....

It has held up like a tank for about 10 years.... if that's worth anything! I want something a little more crisp, that still offers deep bass, but with less distortion.

I broke an old plate glass window with my sub..... so if you're feeling frisky, crank it up, and it'll show you everything in your listening room that needs dampened, because if it can vibrate and rattle..... this will do it!

sgt bass08
01-25-2008, 07:47 AM
can someone tell me what the hell is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAHRINGER-BASS-PROCESSOR_W0QQitemZ170187093943QQihZ007QQcategoryZ 23785QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

he says he uses this with the cerwin vega sub .

sgt bass08
01-25-2008, 07:51 AM
mine is a Cerwin Vega, Sub, Model-150 (that's what it says on the back) It's 15" downward firing, and I have no idea on the specs...... the one thing I do know, is that it's BIG, LOUD, and HEAVY. The stupid thing kicks on/off with a noticable "thump" when you have it on energy savings setting..... it did that since I purchased it brand new.....

It has held up like a tank for about 10 years.... if that's worth anything! I want something a little more crisp, that still offers deep bass, but with less distortion.

I broke an old plate glass window with my sub..... so if you're feeling frisky, crank it up, and it'll show you everything in your listening room that needs dampened, because if it can vibrate and rattle..... this will do it!

Would you get another CV or have you got something you want already .

johnny p
01-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm probably going to get something like the B&W ASW600 or something else smaller for my needs.

johnny p
01-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm probably going to get something like the B&W ASW600 or something else smaller for my needs.

sgt bass08
01-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Yeah m8 the b&W are nice but to expensive for me.Also try kef and m&K do some nice subwoofers.I know this as got nothing to do with subwoofer but what is this ????.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAHRINGER-BASS-PROCESSOR_W0QQitemZ170187093943QQihZ007QQcategoryZ 23785QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

he said he uses it with the CV sub

johnny p
01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
I have no idea what that is to be honest...... but I probably wouldn't get it since you're gonna get a sub that has a separate level control (turn it up if you want more bass!!)

It sounds like this thing he has takes a signal, and changes the frequency to make it more bass (less treble) I think it's un-natural, and you'll be happier without it. But I'm just guessing here!

basite
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM

good sub, but please don't get it if you want the bass to be loud, the lil thing almost blew itselve here :)

and I don't really like it in a stereo setup, to play music, so if you like to listen to music too, I'd get a REL...

or a velodyne...

the ASW600 is probably sold cheaper now, since the new 600 line arrived...

you could get a deal on it's slightly bigger brother too you know, the ASW650 :ihih:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

sgt bass08
01-26-2008, 02:47 AM
good sub, but please don't get it if you want the bass to be loud, the lil thing almost blew itselve here :)

and I don't really like it in a stereo setup, to play music, so if you like to listen to music too, I'd get a REL...

or a velodyne...

the ASW600 is probably sold cheaper now, since the new 600 line arrived...

you could get a deal on it's slightly bigger brother too you know, the ASW650 :ihih:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Or instead of the BW600 get the CVHD-12S you will enjoy that better :thumbsup: .

basite
01-26-2008, 04:07 AM
Or instead of the BW600 get the CVHD-12S you will enjoy that better :thumbsup: .

I think the B&W is better than the cerwin vega, in fact, I'm pretty sure of it...

and it wouldn't even touch the REL's performance.

sgt bass08
01-26-2008, 05:47 AM
I think the B&W is better than the cerwin vega, in fact, I'm pretty sure of it...

and it wouldn't even touch the REL's performance.

Hey m8 iam excited hope you no im gettimg my CV sub today.:) I dont no why you guys dont like them.

P.S ill let you guys know what i think about it when i get it.:arf:

blackraven
01-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Just make sure you have no loose teeth when you crank up the volume on that thing.

sgt bass08
01-27-2008, 04:02 AM
Hey guys i got my subwoofer :) .but iam confussed my sub as LFE connection and left and right line level inputs wich one do i choose. As i will be playing music the most .

basite
01-27-2008, 08:05 AM
lfe out (sub out) on receiver to the left input on the sub.

audio amateur
01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Hey m8 iam excited hope you no im gettimg my CV sub today.:) I dont no why you guys dont like them.

In a couple years you'll know hopefully;)

sgt bass08
01-27-2008, 12:55 PM
In a couple years you'll know hopefully;)

You wont belive whats happend ive got the sub in my room.Turned on the power the green light came on at the back but i couldnt get no sound.So on the back of the sub there a red switch for voltage or something so i changed the voltage and switch the sub back on and there was like a noise on the plug and now my sub wont turn on. so i think ive burned the fuse.But i dont understand the sub should have worked from the start i hooked up the rca lead to the red level input on the sub and the other end of the rca lead to pre out on my amp .Then i switch my amp setting to turn on the sub and still no sound.

audio amateur
01-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Sounds like you managed to screw it. Can you select the input voltage? You do know voltage here in the uk is around 240v.. I pitty you if it was on 110v.

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 03:22 AM
Sounds like you managed to screw it. Can you select the input voltage? You do know voltage here in the uk is around 240v.. I pitty you if it was on 110v.

Im gutted my sub is dead.Yeah the voltage should be at 230 but i couldnt get any sound so i changed it to 115 and know it wont work.Ive replace the plug fuse and changed it back to 230 voltage and it still wont work .What kind of damage have i done to the sub .

basite
01-29-2008, 03:45 AM
probably the magic smoke went out :)

be sure to check ALL the fuses, if it still doesn't do anything once you've replaced them, it's dead.

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 03:52 AM
Yeah ive changed the fuse on the plug i replaced it with a other one and it still wont come on .

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 03:56 AM

be sure to check ALL the fuses, if it still doesn't do anything once you've replaced them, it's dead.

check all fuses why how many should there be . ive only changed the fuse out of the plug

audio amateur
01-29-2008, 04:44 AM

If he does that he'll probably void the garantee. But he probably doesn't have one anymore:p
don't think the fuse will change anything if he's set it to 110v.
That's 300 quid up in smoke if i'm right. Sorry bud

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 05:25 AM
[QUOTE=audio amateur]If he does that he'll probably void the garantee. But he probably doesn't have one anymore:p
don't think the fuse will change anything if he's set it to 110v.
That's 300 quid up in smoke if i'm right. Sorry bud[/QUOTE#

How big is the damage because the sub wont power up .

audio amateur
01-29-2008, 05:35 AM
Check what the warranty says. I'd try and send it back if I were you. If they won't accept it, unscrew the amp part, and check for fuses, or any visual damage. (make sure it's unpluged at this point.) I'd try and get it fixed somewhere, but i'm thinking the damage is pretty severe. I'm no electrician, although i've done a year of electronic engineering, it shows you how well I did... That's why i'm studying economics now:D
Good luck

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 05:45 AM
ok there no warranty its secondhand. i havent unscrewed the amp as i dont no what im doing but ill have a try today and see what happens.

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 06:07 AM
I was just thinking if a take the amp out will i be able to take it to a repair shop and get it fix .Instead off taking all the subwoofer .

johnny p
01-29-2008, 06:49 AM
ok there no warranty its secondhand

I'd say DOA, and get a refund.... did it ever really work?? I think they sold a defective unit perhaps?

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 06:57 AM
I'd say DOA, and get a refund.... did it ever really work?? I think they sold a defective unit perhaps?

Thats why iam gutted m8 .becasue i brought it off ebay and it was cash up front plus the guy i brought it of comes from a different city.i should off told him to show it me working but i didnt .so when i got to my house i tryed to get it in my bedroom but i think i knocked the amp a little bit aswell so it could be me that damaged it.then i couldnt get no sound so i flicked the voltage switch to 115 and now it dosent power up.:sad:

audio amateur
01-29-2008, 07:29 AM
make sure you unscrew the right screws, the ones with the arrows. They're usually the outer-most screws.

audio amateur
01-29-2008, 07:30 AM
Actually now that I think of it take it straight to a repair shop. I knew about voltage differences when I was 6 so perhaps you're not fit for this.

audio amateur
01-29-2008, 07:33 AM
I was just thinking if a take the amp out will i be able to take it to a repair shop and get it fix .Instead off taking all the subwoofer .
yeah. I doubt you'll need the whole thing. just the amp. Get a quote for the price of repair.

sgt bass08
01-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah ill get someone to fix it .They wont all the subwoofer but they will also come out to me. thanks for your help

audio amateur
01-29-2008, 08:33 AM
no prob tell us how it works out.

johnny p
01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
I'd use ebay's buyer protection/fraud protection. You said it didn't work BEFORE you switched the amp settings..... I think he sold you junk, quite possibly..... you said you might have "knocked it" My sub has taken a beating for 10 years, and it still works flawlessly.

johnny p
01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
put up a link to the ad for sale....

audio amateur
01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
yeah.. how exactly did you 'bump' it? Subs dont die like that.

PaDave
02-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I have had my CW CLSC-12 for over a year and piss beat it and it is awesome. Anyone who thinks CW is not a reputable speaker company needs to get their head checked.