Pretty humorous Flower Kings review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pretty humorous Flower Kings review

Finch Platte
01-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Last time I was in Rasputin's, I grabbed a free music mag off the counter. Got home and was perusing it, and found this gem of a review.

:^D

fp

Troy
01-24-2008, 11:21 AM
I've never seen this before. Pretty horrifying, but most FK covers are.

http://a272.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_838b31d39eff551e5f42b78707f70557.jpg

Finch Platte
01-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I've never seen this before. Pretty horrifying, but most FK covers are.

http://a272.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/73/l_838b31d39eff551e5f42b78707f70557.jpg

I dunno, I like it. Then again, I hate graffiti.

Check yer email.

fp

3-LockBox
01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Its their worst cover ever, and its unfortunate that this is prolly the reviewer's first exposure to TFK. But then again, he could have bought Paradox Hotel, loved it, then bought Sum Of No Evil, and still written the same review. That's pretty much what I did.

I own this one, and was terribly disappointed with it...its not a grower. Its my fifth TFK album, not counting live stuff. I have two TFK albums I actually like, while two of the others are cringe inducing (including this one). My review over at PE pretty much says it all.
http://www.progressiveears.com/default.asp?bhcp=1

As a matter of fact, I think I'm closing the book on The Flower Kings.

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BarryL
01-24-2008, 08:13 PM
As a matter of fact, I think I'm closing the book on The Flower Kings.

Don't do that. That response comes from a jaded point of view that results from taking a great thing for granted. Sometimes we have to step back from our initial disappointment that some new piece of music isn't as satisfying as something else we know already - that the new doesn't bring the same satisfaction.

I find that I am always disappointed by a new FK CD. But it doesn't take long for the new to sound a lot like the old. And that is part of the problem. But when the old is held with high regard, then so should be the new. The FKs are such an amazing band that it is easy to dismiss their new work as more of the same. But there are very few bands who stand in their league.

The amount of great music they have put out over the years is astounding. They compare favourably to Yes in my mind. They were never as original as the best of Yes, which lasted for about five years. But in sheer volume and enjoyment, their output is greater.

Pick the best 30 minutes from each FK album and you will have an astounding body of great work. Yeah, there are some real clunkers, but the quality of the music and the musicianship is always heads above most other bands of thier kind.

I'm not giving up on the Flower Kings. They are an automatic buy for me.