Another dumb question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb question

johnny p
01-24-2008, 07:57 AM
I could look when I get home I guess, but here's the situation:

I'm breaking one of audio's ten-commandments, by connecting my Subwoofer to my AVR via speaker-wire.

I think my sub-out on my receiver is bad, but I could be wrong..... I had a sub cable before, and returned it because I got no sound, but there could be two things going on here.... 1) It might have been my old receiver that I replaced, but I can't remember, and 2) I could have had sub setup to "OFF" (I know, I'm an idiot) so for the purpose of testing, I don't want to order a sub cable until I know, so here's my question......

Will the Sub cable be 1 rca to 1 rca? or is it a "Y" I can't remember. Also, can I just grab one of my spare Component video cables, or other RCA's I have lying around, and connect it with those for testing purposes??????

thanks!

GMichael
01-24-2008, 08:11 AM
I could look when I get home I guess, but here's the situation:

I'm breaking one of audio's ten-commandments, by connecting my Subwoofer to my AVR via speaker-wire.

I think my sub-out on my receiver is bad, but I could be wrong..... I had a sub cable before, and returned it because I got no sound, but there could be two things going on here.... 1) It might have been my old receiver that I replaced, but I can't remember, and 2) I could have had sub setup to "OFF" (I know, I'm an idiot) so for the purpose of testing, I don't want to order a sub cable until I know, so here's my question......

Will the Sub cable be 1 rca to 1 rca? or is it a "Y" I can't remember. Also, can I just grab one of my spare Component video cables, or other RCA's I have lying around, and connect it with those for testing purposes??????

thanks!

Any RCA cable should work fine for testing. I ran mine with a composite video cable for a while when I first moved. Couldn't find the sub cable for about two weeks.

Yeah, check those settings. Set to sub out or both. Then check the levels.

johnny p
01-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks!

will do when I get home!!!! I'd love to have 4 less speaker cables running to the AVR!

I'm convinced, if I hadn't found this site, I'd be huddled up in my bathroom (which would be known as the "Theater") watching a 13" b&w T.V. connected to a beta-max, with an "As Seen on T.V." Listen-Up personal audio device to amplify the sound.......

Thank you all for keeping me from making stupid decisions (or at least keeping me from making them unknowingly!)

GMichael
01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks!

will do when I get home!!!! I'd love to have 4 less speaker cables running to the AVR!

I'm convinced, if I hadn't found this site, I'd be huddled up in my bathroom (which would be known as the "Theater") watching a 13" b&w T.V. connected to a beta-max, with an "As Seen on T.V." Listen-Up personal audio device to amplify the sound.......

Thank you all for keeping me from making stupid decisions (or at least keeping me from making them unknowingly!)

You peaked in my bathroom?