Boston bookshelf speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Boston bookshelf speakers

omikey
03-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Newbie here :-)
I'm in the market for HT equipment and need some opinons on some bookshelf speakers ..... I have to replace my floor speakers (Pincale - Classic Gold Tower) (new house - the room arrangement doesn't allow for the floor towers).
I am considering the Boston VR-MX series ...... what's the consenses on these speakers, what others might I consider that would have a comprative frequency response and crossover.......
Thanks for your inputs !
Mikey

JSE
03-03-2004, 09:12 AM
Man, it's a shame you have to lose those Pinnacles. I listend to them a while back and they were nice.

I own Boston towers but I have never been much of a fan in regard to their Bookshelf speakers. The VR-MX series are definitely their best Bookshelf but I think you could do better with B&W, Dynaudio, Energy, PSB, or even Paradigm. I am also in the marker for some Bookshelf speakers. However, I am specifically looking for good low end. The B&W 602S3 is a very nice speaker. Might checked it out.

You will need to give us the usual info for more specific help. Budget, Roomsize, HT Vs. Music, style of music, etc.

JSE

omikey
03-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Man, it's a shame you have to lose those Pinnacles. I listend to them a while back and they were nice.

I own Boston towers but I have never been much of a fan in regard to their Bookshelf speakers. The VR-MX series are definitely their best Bookshelf but I think you could do better with B&W, Dynaudio, Energy, PSB, or even Paradigm. I am also in the marker for some Bookshelf speakers. However, I am specifically looking for good low end. The B&W 602S3 is a very nice speaker. Might checked it out.

You will need to give us the usual info for more specific help. Budget, Roomsize, HT Vs. Music, style of music, etc.

JSE

JSE - Thanks for the leads on some other choices I should check on, and I will go listen to them.

Ok on some of the specfics ......
Room size is aprox 19 feet by 19 feet with a 18 foot catheria (sp) ceiling. The space is very open the entrance into the room is almost as wide as the room on one side, the other side is all glass with frech doors going out onto the screened in deck and an 8 foot opening going into the kitchen

Budget: not unlimited, but not constrained. I am going to replace the entire system I guess ... going with a plasma display (no decsion on which one yet, HD or ED, don't know yet) size will be 37 or 42 inch.
Will replace a 5 year old JVC AVR with a Denon AVR 3803
Will replace the 5 Pinnacle speakers with something ?? My estimate at this time for speaker cost for 5 speakers will be about $1400
I will keep the Kenwood 150watt sub but feel that changing to bookself speakers that I will have to also get a new center to match them.

Listening pleasure
Mostly HT, broadcast TV (YUCK), music range is all over the place.... I like classic rock, my wife likes classical, we like some jazz and we both like country and country rock (if there is such a thing). I also listen to new age sounds - love that stuff, love indian chants and stuff like that

What else ?

let me ask you .... since I'm new to this, how do I keep track of my post and when people respond to them ?

Mike

JSE
03-03-2004, 09:59 AM
Mike,

That's a big room. Checked out the brands I mentioned as well as others. Other members will probably give suggestions as well but the ones I gave you are a start. One thing, you might want to consider upgrading your sub at a later date if not now. There is no way that Kenwood is able to handle the room volume you are dealing with. You would be amazed what a good sub will do. Check out HSU and SVS for starters. What surrounds are you using now. You could get by with just buying 2 new mains and a center and use your existing rears. That was you can put more money into your mains.

As far as tracking threads, go into your profile and you can subscribe to threads. That way you will be notified every time someone responds. I personally don't do it because you start gettting a lot of messages. Kindof a pain. But you may like it.

omikey
03-03-2004, 10:15 AM
JSE - Thanks again, I'll certainly take into consideration the upgrade on the sub -- what kind of wattage do you think would be needed in a room this size ?

Surrounds are also Pinnacle - model ac-400 (I've never been really impressed with them - but once bought I lived with them for the last 5 years) These speakers are directional and because this room does have a closet in the conner it makes a weird setup trying to get the surrounds equally place ..... to work around that I am considering getting bipole speakers so the sound is better dispersed....... Your thoughts on this ?

I was also thinking about this, get bipoles for the back surround, and since the new AVR is 7.1 use the Pinnacle surrounds in the middle for music, and use the bipole surrounds in the back when doing HT ....
your thoughts on this ?