Subwoofer crossover. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer crossover.

natronforever
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Hey everybody,

I have a question regarding bass management. If I set my speakers to "small" and set their crossover at 80 hz, should I set the sub to crossover also at 80 hz, or should I set it one level higher, say, to 100 hz? Is overlapping the crossovers from your sub to your speakers important, or can you set it at the same level without fear of "gaps" around the crossover level? What have you all done with your crossovers?

Thanks.

L.J.
01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
I have the xover on my S12.3 turned off and have both my Titanics turned all the way up (160 or something like that) since they don't have that feature. You definitely wanna turn your sub's xover all the way up or off.

canuckle
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
The answer depends on what you're talking about: the crossover on the sub or the crossover for the sub in your receiver setup.

For #1: the crossover on the sub should be disengaged completely. If it lacks that feature, turn it all the way up so that it doesn't play a factor. You don't want 2 crossovers in the same signal path.

#2: Set the receiver's crossover point for the sub as high as it will go. When you set things up as small with a 80Hz speaker crossover, the sub will get all of the signals from the speakers below 80Hz as well as all of the LFE channel which typically uses a 20-120Hz range. If you've crossed the sub at 80, you'll lose the 80-120Hz range from the LFE channel. Remember that the crossover for the sub is a lowpass unlike the other speakers where it's a highpass.