Buying new speakers - Paradigm Studio 20, B&W CM1, others? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buying new speakers - Paradigm Studio 20, B&W CM1, others?

southernwayfarer
01-22-2008, 07:29 AM
First post here... I'm shopping around for my first pair of "nice" speakers. My price limit is ~ $1000 for a pair. Yesterday I visited a local dealer and listen to the Paradigm Reference Studio 20 (v.4? the newest model..). The salesman also recommended the B&W CM1 which were a little more expensive than the Paradigms. I'll be going back for more listening with a few of my own CDs. Does anyone have any advise about this choice? ANy recommendations about other speakers to try out? This dealer carries mostly Paradigm and B&W. Anything else in the B&W line in my price range? I'm restricted to a "smallish" speaker - I think the Studio 20's are about as big as I'd like to go. These will be primarily for music but also be the core of a future home theater. I'll be driving them with an Adcom GFA 5500 for now. Thanks for the help.

johnny p
01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
$1,000 a pair will get you into a pair of B&W 685's if you don't mind bookshelfs. They'll surprise you alright, and then the center/surrounds won't cost that much down the road if you're going 5.1

I don't recall what the floor standers cost in the 600 series, probably a couple hundred out of your price range, but they're certainly worth considering.

blackraven
01-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Both the paradigm and B&W are fine speakers. You can't go wrong with either one. Just buy what sounds good to you. Also Johnny P is right. Look at the B&W 686's. They sound great. On paper they have similar specs as the CM 1's.

I like NHT's. They are worth a look.

audio amateur
01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
They are however in a different size category. Check out Dynaudio 52's, Kef iQ3's, Polk Audio LSi9's.. there are many in that price range. Do some research and listening before you buy. Good luck

Ajani
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
For your budget of $1k you have a list of great options...

The CM1s are very nice... I spent a lot of time auditioning them last year and a friend of mine even bought a pair... just be careful and make sure to match them with appropriate electronics or you might find the sound a bit harsh (bright)....

Other popular options are:

Monitor Audio RS1 - $600
Revel Concerta M12 - $700
PSB GB1 - $1100
Quad 11L2 - $750
Quad 12L2 - $1100

All of these options are worth listening to and each would sound fantastic depending on your musical tastes and equipment...

If you can, try and listen to as many different speakers as possible and determine what your prefered sound is.... as different brands can sound very very very different...